Lumbar exercise is by far the best tratment for me

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Zorak

Lumbar exercise is by far the best tratment for me

Post by Zorak »

Hello, I'm suffering severe RLS for 16 years (now I'm 33) after a physician prescribed by mistake rispoeridone. I want to share with you an exercise that helps me a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CLeCArMenk

10 minutes of this exercise is like 2 hours walking for me. I use this inexpensive machine:

https://www.decathlon.es/aparato-para-l ... 04487.html

Please let me know if it works for you. I hope it does.

Best regards.

ViewsAskew

Re: Lumbar exercise is by far the best tratment for me

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thanks for sharing, Zorak.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Thanks for this. There was a post from someone about 6 months ago recommending exercises which I think target the same muscle group. I sometimes use them with some success.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Would the same sort of effect be had by resting front of hips on an exercise ball? Might take more repetitions to work the muscles as much.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Zorak

Post by Zorak »

badnights wrote:Would the same sort of effect be had by resting front of hips on an exercise ball? Might take more repetitions to work the muscles as much.

I don't know badnights, but now that you mention that I find that I forgot to mention another thing that helps me a lot: sleeping on my stomach with cushions under my hips. When my hips are in a higher level than the rest of the body the relief is instant for me.

legsbestill

Post by legsbestill »

Yes; the hip thing seems to help me too - only if the attack isn't too severe. I don't use a cushion - just lie with my knees tucked up under me and my body sort of folded forward over them face down. It's a bit awkward, I wouldn't choose to sleep in that position, all other things being equal but often manage to get an hour or two which would not have been possible otherwise when the legs are playing up at a low-grade level and are not responding to my relaxis pad.

badnights

Post by badnights »

Huh. If I feel mild symptoms in the middle of the night (or any other time when I'm desperate) I lie on my belly on a couple of pillows with my knees flexed, with even higher pillows under my head. This is my frog pose. I fall asleep like that. Once I'm asleep I sometimes roll off, but often I don't and I wake with kinks. But it lets me sleep with mild symptoms.

Also if I lie down I can't let my head go too low - one pillow is not enough. I prop my upper body up with a few pillows. If I don't do that, I will develop symptoms. The only time I don't have to do that is at some point in my early morning when the symptoms subside. I can tell they won't come if I lie flat, I can feel the difference somehow. That time is very short, though. The rest of my life is symptomatic or verging on it :lol: (might as well laugh about it )
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.