MODERATOR RESIGNATION

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
jan3213

MODERATOR RESIGNATION

Post by jan3213 »

I’m writing to inform all of you that as of today, I am resigning my position as Moderator. I’d like to say a few things.

When I first joined the forum in May 2004, I was amazed at what a supportive group of people I’d found. Throughout the first few years of my membership on this forum, the main focus of the forum was support. One of the things I used to say when I greeted new members (yes, I was the “official greeter” for several years) was what a wonderful group it was and that it was a family. Everyone cared deeply about each other and about our fight for all of those who suffer from RLS. We were a pro-active group, focusing much of our efforts on educating the public, the medical society at large, and each and every person who joined our group.

However, the focus of the group has now changed. I no longer post. Some of you haven’t seen me post much at all. However, I used to be one of the members who posted several times every day, sometimes being on the forum so much it became my life’s passion. You can see how many posts I have credited to my name. We would be there for support no matter what time—day or night.

Now, the forum is going in a different direction that it was first intended to be. Drugs are talked about all the time, medical advice is handed out (even though we are not medical professionals and that was not the original intent of the forum), and I see very little of the same support I saw even a year ago. I don’t like the direction the forum is going in and no longer wish to be part of it.

As I said, I have made some great friends. Some are no longer here. Some come and go. One person, in particular, is not only a great friend, but has become part of my family. That’s Lynne (Becat). I will be forever grateful that I met her, even if RLS brought us together.

A few of the older members who I have become close to are Rubyslipper, Penguin, and Lyndarae. Of course, there’s JumpyOwl, who will forever have a place in my heart. Nadia was one of the first people to greet me when I joined, as well.

I leave you all wishing you the best. I hope you all find what you are looking for.

Sincerely,
Jan3213 (Jan)
No one is alone who had friends.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Jan, I am saddened by your resignation. After appoximately a year as a member of this board, I am just now beginning to know and appreciate so many of you who have been here so much longer--let alone are probably charter or founding members. It is and has been a pleasure to rub keyboards with you! I trust, though you are not a moderator, that you will visit often and continue to provide some of that "old time religion" and vintage support.

I believe when I arrived the board pretty much looked and felt as it does now. I think I have taken my cue from that. From what you have described, the board perhaps has indeed expanded forum topics or post content. Right now I guess, I'm not sure if that is good, bad, or perhaps just different. I do know that I have always felt welcome and supported so perhaps that important aspect of the board has been maintained despite its foray into some of the areas with which you have found displeasure.

As a somewhat frequent poster and newly ordained minister--I mean moderator--I suppose the nature of your resignation may elicit some discussion as to the direction or detour you feel the board has taken. That is as it should be. But, in response to the post topic, let me again thank you for the personal kindness, assistance and support you have provided to me, other board members, and the foundation itself.

Sincerest wishes,

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ctravel12

Moderator Resignation

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Jan Sorry to hear about your resignation. I will miss seeing you post on the board. You gave me some excellent advise and was there for me at some of the difficult times. However I do agree with what you are saying about how the board is going in a different direction. I joined July 2, 2006 and received some wonderful advise and support that was astounding. Hazel was the first one to welcome me and then Lynne made me feel like part of the family shortly after that.

I have said many times that this board is for SUPPORT ONLY and nothing more than that. I know people are coming looking for help and hopefully they do get it. I know alot of them come and go and hopefully because they received good information. We are not drs nor have any medical knowledge and I have said that alot of times.

I hope that this board goes back to what it was before when I joined. I really enjoy welcoming the newbies and hopefully help them as much as we can support wise.

I miss alot of the older members that came here frequently and hope that they come back.

My rls is under control and a thankful for that; however I want all of them newbies and regulars to post and get the help they deserve.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

becat

Post by becat »

Jan I love you too, my dear friend that found me in the woods.

How God work is awesome.

I understand and support your choice. I do hope you will visit, often.

Yes, CT this board is for support, but it is also about education.

God's blessing to you Jan for all you've done for our family here and you know what you've done for me.

I will always remember our time spent here and cherish the memories we still have coming. The new ones we will make.

May the moon always shine brightly on you, and you know I will fill it every night.

Love Lynne

chefws

Post by chefws »

jan3213,
I don't know you very well, but I am sorry to see you resigning as a moderator. I do agree that the board seems focused on drug therapy. I know that I personally have been concentrating on drug therapy. I've tried many things over the years, and the conventional drugs that are used to treat mild symptoms just don't work for me.
I have found support, and have done much whining over the lack of what I feel is competent help in the medical field. I hope that my recent obsession of finding relief hasn't pushed you away. I would be saddened. But as a moderator, I would think you would have the right to mention in the threads you found improper that you think it is improper.
I try not to give medical advice, but try to share my experiences from over the last 20 years.
I hope as time goes by I get to know you and everyone else on the board much better. I think that there is still a lot of support on the board, and honestly, this board has been my only outlet of my frustrations over the last 8 months. And I thank the board and board members for that. And I thank you for being a Moderator. It shows you have a good character and a love of people in need.
God Bless.

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Dear Jan, I have been wondering where you have been, then I saw your post and was so happy!!!!Until I read it.

I want to thankyou honey from the bottom of my heart for what you did for me when I stumbled in here, I dont know what might have happened to me that night if you hadent reached out to me. I will NEVER EVER forget that time in my life and all we have shared together over all these years, the tears and the laughter, and there have been tons of both.Our great phone calls and things we both know about each other, that is ours alone.

And what you have given to this board, well the people who know you know what you have done and given to so many people you have always been a GODSEND to me and always will be.

Before you go,please let me tell you as one of the people who jump in and out of here that you have left your mark girlfriend, you have taught alot of people how to be a greeter to the newbies and you would have been proud of them Monday night in chat when I sat back and read as they greeted someone who was in alot of pain and fear, and I could have sworn it was you typing because they never once said anything about what meds to take and what not to take, they said we are not Docs and lead them to the right place to go and get information.

What I see here is change and alot of growth, and that sadens me too because there are so many more rlsers, but I am still so greatful this forum is still so full of love warth and support. I too still think of our Jumpyowl and Nadia and Rubyslippers, but I know they are still with us they have grown and changed and that is life huh, Nothing stays the same for ever NOTHING, I know where you are and you will never be far from my heart or the moon I look up to at night, I love you and will miss your funny bunny laughter and all the love that you give away so freely, thankyou my girlfriend, for all you do and all you are, I am a better person because of you~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'd add my voice to the chorus of thanks. You've given much of yourself and many people have benefitted from it. I imagine that you will continue to help people in ways that you enjoy. Here's to your next endeavor - may you enjoy it tremendously.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

Thanks Jan, for your support in the past. I am here right from the beginning too. I don't post lot, because of extreme low energy and my work for the Dutch RLS site. I agree, there is more talk about drugs in this group, but I don't find this wrong, because people can learn from it. For me this group is still supportive and caring and I don't feel less at home than in the old days. I respesct your decision, but can't help thinking that you could have made a different one, namely if you find this group is not as supportive as it used to be, you could bring support and TLC back into this group by posting instead of leaving. Sorry if I souds too direct; it's a Dutch trait.

Corrie

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Thanks for all the work you have done, Jan. I do remember you greeting me when I joined this board about a year ago. I guess I haven't seen much change in the board over the course of the year, so I don't really know what you're talking about when you say that it was more supportive in the old days. I don't have a frame of reference for that.

I do know that I sometimes have felt excluded by members who seem to have been around "from the beginning." I think you gave a good list of them. Sometimes it feels like I'm looking in on some kind of love fest between members. And I'm not a part of that. And really, that's not "support" to me, especially when it excludes everyone else by default. And I'm not one to talk about love a lot, anyway, I'm not a gushy person. (But I do have a big heart, and a lot of compassion!)

To me support is whatever people need at the moment. Since I joined, there have been an awful lot of people joining who have been suffering terribly for lack of competent medical treatment. And for those people, pointing them to the algorithm or other sources of information on medical treatment IS support, as is answering questions about medications, if we're answering from our own experience, or quoting from the recognized sources.

I'm here to give moral support if that's what people need, opinions on the right kind of mattress if that's what people want, share knowledge on meds if that's what people want. To me it would be stupid to let a person suffer, and go blindly from doctor to doctor for months to years, because we're afraid of pointing them to documented information on RLS that could help them immediately.

So yeah. When did Requip start advertising? That advertising has brought us a huge influx of people wanting to know about medications for RLS. And it's nearly impossible to find doctors competent enough to treat some of the more complicated RLS cases. I'm in a major metropolitan area and I can't find one! I am so thankful that people pointed me to the algorithm, and Dr. B's site, and gave me lots of input on medication. I'd probably be dead (literally!) if it wasn't for information I've gained on this forum.

But I do understand that if a community isn't meeting your needs, that it becomes a question of trying to stick around and change it, or finding another community that's different. It's like finding a church! I've been in that situation for a while. The church that makes my kids happy, doesn't do much for me. And the odds of me changing it to meet my needs are really slim. So when the kids leave for college or whatever, I'm moving on. But I haven't even made inroads into that group of people, and I certainly haven't been there from the beginning. So I don't feel like people would even care to hear what I have to say about that. And it's just not a good fit. I want loud and lively. They like quiet and contemplative.

So I think I understand. I stick around because the group was here when I needed it, and I want to pay it back and being here when others are in need. And right now I'm too sick to work, and have the time to spend. And I'm happy to see some of the newer people jumping in and offering support in their own ways.

Time goes on, groups change. I'm really glad you've been a part of it and helped shape this group. We'll miss you.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I do believe that this board has multiple purposes - not just one. We also have people here who have different styles. Together, for me, it works perfectly. My guess is that at a very simplistic level, there are primarily two types of people who come here - those who value relationships/sharing feelings and those who value education/sharing information. Sure, some do both (and others may be here for other reasons), but, my guess is that many fit into one or the other. This is a broad and simple view (and I know we are much more complex that that), but it works for me to put it in perspective.

I have always felt that this board was so wonderful because each group could be here and find others who felt similarly. The down side is that it does mean that those who value the educational side may have felt excluded from the others and vice versa, as Susan posted. I know that is true for me, also.

I can't remember when I joined, but it's been several years. The board has changed somewhat in its tenor. I just went back and read the first two pages of posts in the Pharma section and thought about the difference then to now.

If I had to place my finger on the difference, it would be volume. As I read the old posts, it was obvious that people were talking about drugs...but there weren't that many total contributors, so it's didn't seem like a lot of talk about it. We could go days without a new person showing up. There were often several days in between posts about drugs. And, there wasn't a lot of info yet, so most of the talk was simply personal perspectives. That meant that the discussions and posts were more personal in nature to start with.

As more people joined and, as Susan pointed out, as the drug commercials started, things changed somewhat. The tide shifted and it may have seemed that those wanting to keep the small group, relationship-based focus felt overwhelmed by it. I don't know, as I haven't ever felt that one side or the other was right or wrong - they both have always been here and seemed to belong to me.

I am thinking of this as growing pains. Nothing meets everyone's needs, but to me this board comes pretty close. As Corrie pointed out, when it doesn't we all have the option of posting in a way to help foster what we'd like to see here. And, we can always have discussions such as these. They help make the board stronger in the long run, even if they are painful and were started because of a sad occurrence.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Jannie my Jannie,

I love you yanno. I have you on MSN and on my cell. I've not forgotten bout you...how could I?

You, Becat, Ann others...my strength and i truly believe i'd be dead if it weren't for you, Becat, Ann and others...you took me in

I love you!
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

I am sitting here watching the sunrise and have been doing alot of thinking about this forum and everyone involved with it.

I must say Pengin, you are awesome you summed it all up for me. Thanks!

I personally don't like being put into a (type) group. I have RLS period.... and that is why I am here. And I believe that is why everyone else is here and why this board exsits. Why else would it. And I got news for ya folks its a medical issue, how can we not talk about drugs?? Most of us if not all need them to cope. True we are not doctors, but we are all in this together, and I believe we are equally important to each other no matter who knows what!!!!

I know from my own journey here that Jan saved my butt too and many others came along and I might have helped a few too. Now anyone that picks me up off the floor and loves me until I can love myself, I am going to get close to. This is a family for me,my only family. And there are some I know better than others. BUT, I hadent been here for a while and when I posted I was greeted by some beautiful, loving people that I didnt know, but I do now.

This forum started out small because thats how they all start, and now it's large, and there are many many different thoughts and opions, and that is good too as long as we all remember what we come here for, information and along the way if you want to you end up with some life time friends.

I had to go back and remember where my head was when I found this board, I thought I was crazy and the only one, and how many post do you read here where people say the same thing. If this board was just about information we woulnt be here it would just be INFORMATION.

This forum is about real people learning from each other and sharing our lifes, being able to come here day or night when you are nightwalking and out of your mind and you find someone here doing the same thing. Sure it starts out all about our rls lifes, but then you start getting to know each other and then you find you have alot in common or not.

I am not an educated women and I couldnt tell anyone jack about meds and iron levels and ect..............so I dont I tell them to go talk to the ones who do. That is why I think this forum is very well balanced.

That can change in a heartbeat, if we stop caring about each other. This place would end up being just another cold blooded, put down slamming place. I have seen them you dont even want to post cause they are so mean( you know what I am talking about)

For some this place is their passion they have put their hearts and souls into it they have helped people endlessly and will continue to do so one way or the other. Some give good advice and some give good love and some give both.

There have been many times for myself that I have come in and not said anything to anyone because I felt I did not know anyone any more, and thats my bad because I do know you we have rls and because of that I know you, I feel your pain and heartache. We are all in this together if we like each other or not this forum is about rls, and treating each other with compasssion we all are walking a hard long road, so I feel my road is easier with all of you with me to talk and share, laugh and cry with. There are no leaders here we are all equal. We only have to answer to ourselfs and I say if you have nothing good to say to someone them say nothing at all.

If you don't like the way someone post send them a pm or deal with it, its hard sometimes to type what you are trying to say, like I am doing right now LOL. Let's face it there are over 2000 personalities in here with rls(SCARY) I have always posted from my heart and maybe people get sick of it and just want to have information well cool cause theres plenty of that here too. I just worry about this place falling apart, the last couple of days seems a little different to me(probably just me).

To me it doesnt matter how many posts you have behind your name, but what are in the posts that count. I will always be a newbie here, we all are, as far as I am concerened, where that word came from I dont know but I would like to see it stoped being used new or old we are all in the same boat. So what do you say we pick up those heavy oars and start rowing again.

I hope I have said something here useful to someone and if not oh well, at least I tried and I will continue to try and do my best to support this forum and all who are a part of it, each and everyone of you are important to me even if I dont know you personally, I care about you, I am one of you, I have RLS the end~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I´m sorry, I don´t understand anymore. It seems it´s the other way round now. Surely we can PM a person if we don´t like a certain post, but Jan started this discussion by telling us that our posts are not supportive enough for her to stay on as a moderator. Fair enough. But you can expect people to react and I don't see why we have to PM her then.

You know, I really am beginning to think that Susan is right about a´love fest' between certain people. I have never ever thought this before but, reading this thread, I think it certainly seems like it and I really feel disappointed of these 'supportive' people.

Corrie

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

I should have kept my big mouth shut, I knew however I said it it was going to come out wrong all I was trying to say is this is an awesome forum all the people are great and I want to support it the best way I know how and I think everyone feels the same way..............the bottom line for me is doing the best I can do and that is what I see happening we are all just people here I am sorry if I said things the wrong way the last thing I wanted to do is have this blow up out of what it really is........................Someone simply moving on. We are all just trying to express ourselfs and that can be difficult in this setting. But I will not apologize for loving the people in here which there are too many to list I am sorry if I have disappointed people for caring too much but that is who I am. This is being taken out of contents and for that I am sorry, but we are all intitled to our own feelings and that in of its self is why this board works so well. I am done on this subject unless someone thinks I have tried to speak for them you are welcome to call me on it, I was speaking for my own feelings not anyone elses~~~~~~~Lyndarae

becat

Post by becat »

Ok, I have far too much to say, but will start with this.

No attacks on Jan for her thoughts and feelings. She's done very well by most here. Done with that, it's not right. Maybe in a simple term, she prefers and gets more out of just being a member here, which I hope she knows, we want to stay with us. I mean period. No more attacks, take those to PM or your post will be deleted.

We rally don't need anymore strife (sp?) on the board at this time. Let it be!

Most of us that have been here from 2004 (Arp for myself), know her, her heart, we called her the Momma of the group. Always ready to jump on any post to supprt and hug, love up, and to let that person know they would never be alone once they found our "home: here.

To address the "love fest" issue. This is a simple fact. In the spring of 2004, this very young board had a group of people that now are known as Old Timers. Well that group was just a special mix of people that, unless you go back from day one and read the post, you'd likely not understand what a bond that we created here.

New people coming in had 4-5 posters saying Hi, tell us your story. or I have no advice at this time, but welcome to our boat, we'll row for you if you cannot.

We got active in our own challenge to the Foundation, it's researchers, and the docs we seek out to help us. We realized that together we made a fist, not a thousand hand reaching for help. That putting our voices together make a shout louder than a cry for help from one.

We had a direction as a group for change for our greater good. That is what bonded that group of oldtimers.
Jumpyowl put hours and hours to answer (with all due and creditaled authority) answering medical and pharmacutical questions. He rewrote the Algorithum in laymen's terms so any of us could edcuate ourselves easily. He also started his own research project that (I believe) changed some of the experts minds about what or how they were doing their own work. We all helped him. Nadia sent out a message worldwide anywhere she could to get people to take the survey. Jan and I spent one weekend emailing every memeber of the board to take the survey.
I st that time asked everyone for Quality of Life statements and that went out of the wire as well.

We were going to make ourselves heard.

Now, Quality of Life is an issue that is talked about, served, and acted upon, because I had 13 people that first year willing to share their deep dark, lonely secrets about how we really live.

It's not that we were special we had a coomon goal, spent relentless hours together here, some of us met in the little chat room they offered several nights a week to laugh, talk about RLS and our lives.
We were all working for the greater good of this community. Rubyslippers became a group leader, and I thank her for leading many of us that way.

Ann join in late OCT. or Early Nov and like the rest of us jumped right in and started helping.

Now, become a Mod/Admin person here. This is just funny to me, a guy that worked for the foundation looked at who was here most often, who posted most often, and choose the top 3 of us. That was the big whooo haaaaaa about who got the job offer.

Honestly, we are each of you, just spent too much dagg gumm time on the board and got tapped. No Big deal about who we were, what we posted, what we knew.

I have places to go and things to do, so let me leave you all with this!

Maybe we need another project that bring this family together. Something that we all can do, to help ourselves, and those that come after us.

Someone, anyone start a new thread and lets come up with a project, that we can work on as a family. Make a great difference for ourselves and this community.

all the love I have for all of you, know or not, my family that understands part of me, just because I am trying to live with RLS>!
Lynne