Very Sad

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
debbluebird

Very Sad

Post by debbluebird »

My son in law passed away yesterday. He was a Lt. Col. in the Army, over 20 years.
He had esophageal cancer. Suffered for 2 years. Had been treated for reflux.
If anyone is taking meds for that, make sure you get periodic esophagus scopes. It's the only way. Otherwise by the time symptoms show up it's usually too late. Middle ages men are high risk.
He has left his wife and two children, age 13 and 15.

Yankiwi

Re: Very Sad

Post by Yankiwi »

Hi Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear about your son-in-law, a beloved member of your family. That is very sad for your daughter and two teenaged grandchildren.
Thanks for the tip on getting esophagus scopes.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Aah... dear dear. I am so sorry to hear this, so sad when someone so loved has to leave us.
His wife and children will find everything a blur just now, my heart goes out to you and to them.

debs - I find this poem comforting and hope it does not offend.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the starshine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room.
I am in the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I do not die.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Thank you Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, Deb. So, so sorry for your loss. His wife and kids must be beside themselves.

Thank you for the warning. My husband has been taking something for reflux for years. He has regular colonoscopies (celiac), but not uppers! His dr wanted one last fall and he said no. I am telling him right now to make an appointment!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yes !!

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

Deb, I just now read your sad news. I am very sorry for your family's loss. You will be in my prayers.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Thank you everyone.

srgraves01

Post by srgraves01 »

Sorry, I am kind of late here. But I almost never look at this part of the forum. I would also like to express my condolences for you son in law. Best wishes to you and your family.

Steve

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Thank you

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Our dog died this morning. He would have been 11 yrs old in a couple of weeks. He was a german shepherd, husky mix. He looked more like a shepherd. He has had some sick spells during the last year. He was fine yesterday. Went for a walk. About 2 am, he all of a sudden had difficulty walking. After about an hour he wanted outside. It's was 35 degrees last night. He just laid on the grass. My husband stayed with him. Covered both with a blanket. We have coyotes, so he was afraid for him to be out there by himself. He came in for an hour, then went back out. I think he must have thought he was going to be sick. We called the Vet this morning about 7 am. He came around 8:30 am. It started getting warm outside, so we all just waited outside. A neighbor saw us out in front and stopped to sit with us. He was so sick by the time the Vet came, he didn't respond much. I helped my husband dig the hole in the back yard. The dirt wasn't too frozen. So he is in Heaven.

badnights

Post by badnights »

My dog went a little over a year ago. She was beautiful. She suffered before I understood how bad it was and called the vet. I'm so glad for all the years I had with that dog. She was beautiful.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

2BassetMom

Post by 2BassetMom »

This is so sad. You and your husband were there for him and gave him love and comfort as he passed. Two years ago we had to put our 11 year old yellow lab down as she was suffering with cancer. I stayed with her at the vets until she stopped breathing. My husband was so overwrought he couldn't bear it. Last year saw us doing this for 2 of our cats, one who was 22 and just stopped eating etc. and the other whose hyperthyroid disease overtook her. She was 16. All that to say that you must have given this beloved pet the best of care as we gave ours. Soon the good memories will be more frequent that the sad ones. Don't be afraid to give a loving home to a new dog. I think it honors the memory of your beloved German Shepherd/Husky.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I would love another dog, except we would be 80 Yes old at the end of their life. We just don't have the energy to take care of another dog.
I didn't know I was going to be so emotional this long. It's been 3 days. All I think about is him.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

A dog is like family, Deb. Actually it IS family. I lost my German Shepherd mix (with Akita) in 2000 and STILL think of him. I lost my kitty in 1999 and another kitty in 2001. I think of ALL of them still. Husband is highly allergic, so no animals in my near future, but I still dream of being able to have another.

Allow yourself to grieve.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.