Small accident

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
debbluebird

Small accident

Post by debbluebird »

Last night, about 10 pm, we left on a trip, 1000 miles. We got 25 miles and hit an elk, 800 pounds to 1000 pounds, with a large rack. Needless to say our plans got changed. Had to wait a couple of hours for highway patrol and wrecker to show up. It was 28 degrees with no heater, but had blankets, etc to keep warm. They would not tow us home. Had to go to next town, another 40 miles away. Slept (sort of) in a motel. Got a ride home the next day. We were going through the mountains, so we did not have cell service, except I got through to 911, so could not call insurance until we got to the town. The insurance said we could have been towed home, but because we couldn't reach them, it didn't happen. It worked out the for the best because there is noone in our town who can fix it. I was not myself, and all I could think about was how we were going to get home, plus our stuff. We had quite a bit of stuff with us. Plus we had our German shepherd dog with us. I just hit my leg and it is bruised.
We still might leave on our trip tomorrow. Will see how we feel. It is my husband's brothers, 80th birthday. We had wanted to be there for that.
In regards to my leg spasms and RLS, it is way worse than usual. Having to take more meds to sleep. This too shall pass.

leggo_my_legs

Re: Small accident

Post by leggo_my_legs »

Oh no! Life has a way of coming at us doesn't it? I hope your leg feels better and you can get the logistics taken care of.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Leg is fine, just a bruise.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So sorry, Deb. I am medicated to the hilt - will respond more tomorrowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

HAHA - I left it to show just how medicated I am!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Oh Debs. What a start to a trip.
Very happy that you and your husband were not more seriously hurt, it could have been much worse.

It was perhaps a good thing that it happened at 25 miles and at least you were both able to get home from 65 miles distant.
Is your car being repaired at the 65 miles distant town? Which means you have to make your way there to either pick it up or continue your journey. I do hope it is repaired speedily and you feel up to setting off on your trip again.
Quite a story to tell, if you manage to get there your brother in law will appreciate your efforts to be with him.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

We have another vehicle (car), so we should be leaving today on our trip. The SUV will take awhile to get repaired, if at all. They might consider it totalled. If we had been in the car, it would have been worse. Probably the elk would have gone through the windshield. Wish I could post a picture on here for all you you to see. Yes, the SUV will get repaired 65 miles away, if they do it. It got towed to the repair place yesterday from the wreckers lot. We will probably find out in a few days whether they will repair it. If they don't, and it is considered totalled, then that puts us in a bind. Both vechicles are old, so they probably won't give us much for it. So that would leave us with just one old car which does not have snow tires on it. Even if we sell the car plus the money that they will give us, I don't think it would be enough to buy one newer good vechicle. The joy of having limited incomes. I really hope they repair it, we just put new tires on it. It was our snow vechicle.
I am so grateful that we didn't get hurt.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Very grateful you were not hurt!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Yes, very much so.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

deb - at one time, following a car accident which was my fault, the insurance company wanted to write off my car. The Repair Guy worked beside my work and we were buddies, he'd come in to use our photocopier etc.

Repair Guy took the time ato sit down with the Insurance Guy and they worked out a deal. If generic parts were used it would bring the cost to just below the figure for a write off. Generic hood, basic headlamps rather that the previous sports model style etc. etc.
This way I managed to keep my car which was worth more to me to be operational, than any monetary recompense.

I hope it works out well for you.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

That sounds good, but we had a basic vechicle. It was old when we bought it and wasn't worth much, even though it ran great. We won't hear probably until Monday or Tuesday.
We made it to our destination. Drove straight through, 18 hours. We stopped for gas, ect. 1000 miles. I usually sleep when we are in the car, at least some. This time I was awake. Then when I finally got sleepy, spasms started in. We hadn't gotten a lot of sleep anyway. The night of the wreck, 3 hours, and the next night, maybe 8, only because I took extra meds, but we it's been so crazy.
I just woke up, to eat a bite and then hopefully get some more sleep. I am having to take many more meds than I usually do. Every time the spasms start, I take another half a pill. I never use a whole tablet with the extra meds.
Right now, it's in the afternoon. Later we will probably have dinner with everyone, then hopefully go back to bed. I feel like I could sleep forever.
Like I say, I usually don't take this much medication, but this time, screw it, I want to get some sleep. I am very limited by my doctor on how much I take usually. I am taking my stash, to get through this vacation.
Have you ever heard of the story "Princess and the Pea". Well, that's me. I have a horrible time sleeping on other people's beds. They are usually too hard. I need lots of foam and soft. My bones and especially hips just hurt too much otherwise. Just another thing which wakes me up. This bed feels like I am on the floor, but for most people I'm sure feels just fine.
I must be feeling better, I am going on and on. This morning, I felt like dying.
Later, Deb

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

deb - can you find another duvet/eiderdown. I am the same and depend a lot on my memory foam mattress with its extra foam topper. Any other bed kills me, every joint hurts, especially hips and shoulders. Last time we went to visit family using our car we took our 3" foam topper with us. On another holiday the hotel couldn't provide a foam topper but they did give me an extra duvet to go underneath me and it truly did make a different.

Or sleep on your existing duvet and beg/borrow/steal some blankets.
I'm assuming you have a duvet.
Betty

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Good idea, thank you. There are extras in this room with me. Hubby is on the couch. It is softer, but he is out there with the dig, while I'm in the bedroom. We are in the motor home, t.v..
Isn't it amazing, everything hurts. Slept some more, feeling better.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Well, even though the comforter was a good idea , it just wasn't soft enough. I just woke up and my back was killing me. Then I remembered the couch cushions. Hubby had taken the back ones off for him, so he could sleep there, so I grabbed them. Oh man, what a difference. Hopefully back to sleep.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Good thinking deb :)
Betty

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I am only sléeping about 2 hours, before my leg spasms start. Since we got here, I have been taking more meds, just to be able to get back to sleep, but then I only get another 2 + hours. I can't keep this up, so tonight I have cut out one of the drugs. It is going to be a long night. I do have a book to read, but not my comfortable chair.
Doctor didn't like me adding the oxy, but I don't feel like I have a choice, not if I want to feel good while on vacation. Especially since, we rarely get a vacation. Our vacations are usually when someone comes to see us. Then we get a break in our regular routine. I'd like to be able to walk the dog, in the middle of the night, but there are too many coyotes, to go out without my husband. I'm not afraid, it's the dog. He could be killed.
This is my life.
On another note, we heard from the car insurance people. They totalled the vechicle like I thought they would. We are going to have someone get the new tires off of it, since, they had only 50 miles on them. We won't get enough to buy another vechicle though, and since the car is also old, I'm not sure what to do. Wish there had been enough to sell the car plus the money to get something newer and better. It was just too old, with too much damage to do what Betty suggested.
Again, such as life. Maybe the car faries will send us money for a car.