Is it Only Me ?

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
debbluebird

Re: Is it Only Me ?

Post by debbluebird »

I went to therapy for several years. It really helped me a lot. Also though, I saw more than one. The first two I didn't care for. You have to find someone that you feel comfortable with.
By the way, I lose things all the time.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I am almost embarrassed to tell you this......
Today I received an email confirming that the ordered item has been dispatched and is on it's way.
I've done a couple of things like that lately. What with my mother's progressing dementia (that she vehemently denies), I worry about myself. But someone here (I love you all) mentioned that it could be my meds ....

I saw a therapist for a while and I must say it did no good at all. He acted offended and basically accused me of needing to retain control when I mentioned one of my children, because he hadn't known I had children. I guess he thought I should have been talking about them every day. But they had been grown and gone for years, and they weren't relevant to why I was seeing him, which was specifically about my situation at work. If he thought my life history was important, he should have asked me about it sometime on the first four visits. I try to be kind but he was a jackass. For me, anyway :D. Deb is right, you have to try a few to find one that fits!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Some therapists are horrifying. While I do think you absolutely have to find the right one for you, there are also some that no one should go to!

When I first started to deal with childhood abuse issues, I started with group therapy. I understand the importance of facing issues and then confronting realities and eventually changing, but she was demeaning about where people were in their process. You are where you are. Eventually, through work, you move someplace else. Telling someone they are "wrong" for being where they are isn't effective or helpful! Working with someone to find ways to move to another more effective place in life would have been helpful. She was haranguing another member for being where she was and I pushed back - hard (and likely less kind than you were, badnights) - and then left the group.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

The first group I was in, just wasn't right for me. The therapist was ok, but it was a general group, for all sorts of issues. I finally found a group, that was just for incest victims. I was in it for a long time. Then I saw that same therapist, one on one. She helped me a lot.
It was all worth it, for me.