Surgery

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
debbluebird

Surgery

Post by debbluebird »

I'm having my right shoulder replaced with a Reverse Total Replacement. It's scheduled for Nov 23rd. Hope it doesn't mess up my RLS.
I'm not looking forward to it.

Yankiwi

Re: Surgery

Post by Yankiwi »

Best wishes, I hope it doesn't mess up your RLS either. At least you will be armed with information for the anesthesiologist.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Let's hope not!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rustsmith

Post by Rustsmith »

I had hand surgery this morning. My RLS is fine, but typing with just my left hand is challenging.

The main thing is that since I am already on pain killers, they were comfortable with my decision to turn down their prescription.

I was also pleased that my anesthesiologist had studied up on RLS last night and also took the time to read the Foundation literature that I brought for him. He especially liked the fact that the literature provided alternatives to the meds that need to be avoided.
Steve

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Steve - wonderful to hear of the understanding and thorough attitude of your anesthetist. I hope your hand surgery heals speedily.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That is SO awesome when surgeons do that!

Managing Your RLS

Yankiwi

Post by Yankiwi »

Anesthesiologists don't want to hurt us, I've found them to be very receptive to information about RLS and potential problems.

badnights

Post by badnights »

My anesthesiologist in Dec 2019 was also like that. Made sure he read my material, more thoroughly than my GP ever did. Interesting, he said none of the listed don't-use compounds were used very commonly in Canada.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I had my surgery yesterday. So far so good. The nerve block is still holding, partially.
The Doctor told me not to fill my Oxycodone with Walmart or Walgreens because they are both restricting the Doctors prescriptions. I am only taking 1 Tramadol amd 1 muscle relaxant at night for my RLS. So I might need the oxy's. Depending on how I feel, I might hold my Tramadol and muscle relaxant.
Glad to have this part over. Now comes exercises for recovery.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Good news on the surgery...but seriously on the prescriptions????? Hope recovery goes well and quickly.

Managing Your RLS

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

ViewsAskew wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:32 am
Good news on the surgery...but seriously on the prescriptions????? Hope recovery goes well and quickly.
I'm doing great. Hardly any pain. I know I'll hurt during PT. I'll take a pill before hand. The ice machine has been the key and next PT.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

This is a great result. I really hope you continue to improve without issue.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

I'm having trouble. I had the surgery a week ago. He gave me oxys for the pain. The first two days after the surgery I took 1 tab, several hours apart, two per day for 2 days. From then on I only took 1 per day at 9 pm. Originally I thought that I could hold my Tramadol and muscle relaxant. I did for one night. After that the RLS started.
Now the RLS is increasing. My body wants me to take more oxy. I won't do that. I had wanted to save them for PT. Now, I guess I need to stop them. I will be up all night when I do that. I really don't want to. Oh well.

stjohnh

Post by stjohnh »

I'm so sorry.
Blessings,
Holland

debbluebird

Post by debbluebird »

Thanks Holland.
Last night I took a half tablet. The RLS was less. I was able to sleep. Tonight I don't think I'll take the other half and see what happens. I've already had some RLS late afternoon. I got it to stop.
I'm guess I wasn't taking it long enough to make me stay up all night. Thank goodness.
Just having this increase of RLS reminds me of how bad it can be.
I started PT today from home. It will last 2 weeks, then I will go to out patient PT.