TALENTS AND CREATIVITY

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Rubyslipper

TALENTS AND CREATIVITY

Post by Rubyslipper »

I started thinking about this even before last year's meeting in Long Beach. After meeting so many of my new friends and talking with them more, I started thinking about this even more. I even brought it up to Laurie from the RLS Board but then let it die. It occurs to me that almost everyone I have talked to has a talent or craft that is a big part of their lives. Now I don't know everyone who posts on this board; but the ones that I have become close to are talented. Our RLS Rebel, Jill Gunzel is a clogger (a type of dance) and travels all around to clogging festivals. I have friends on the Support Group Advisory Board that are extremely talented. Roger takes unbelievable pictures of flowers. Wendy is very active in local theater and plays lots of leads. Nephriticus carves jade, Jan does beautiful quilt windows, Becat does miniture Christmas trees that are georgeous and ViewsAskew does so many things I can't even remember them all. (Me? That's where the theory falls apart :wink: ) Anyway, I know there are many, many more who have talents that I would love to know about. So I'm thinking, while I know most of you could not bring your actual crafts/creations, could you bring pictures, portfolios, cassettes if you play an instrument or sing, anything to show us what you do. Some of you make a business of this, some just as a hobby. It doesn't make any difference. If there are enough that think they might be interested in this, I will contact the RLS Foundation to see if they could fit in a time and some table for us to show off our talents. See, I have this theory. People who suffer with RLS have a higher incidence of creativity. I'd like you to help me proove this by doing this first stage; showing what you do. So let me know if this sounds feasible or foolish. I'll take it from there.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I left out the part where I wanted you to bring these to the National meeting in Orlando. (Told you I have no talents!) If you can't make it, e-mail me in private or on the board with what you do and I will make a list to show there. I will need your real name and would like to have at least the state you live in. You don't even have to give me your last name if you don't want to.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Ruby, that is a great idea. If it wasn't for those brief episodes of limited creativity, my purpose sometimes becomes clouded.

It is my hope that with proper treatment protocal and pain management my creative side might be utilized more. Like so many have expressed, this dark pit of uncertainty we live in prior to diagnosis, leaves us unable to express ourselve in many ways.

My hobbies include photography, web design, writing, singing, horse back riding, I love decorating for events. It was my goal to sing in the Bethany College Messiah program this next Easter. I made this decision earlier this year, thinking I needed something to inspire me to overcome what my body is doing. It is synchronicity, that following months the diagnosis has arrived and treatment plans are being developed.

While I love all music, Blues, folk and bluegrass are among my favorites to sing. I play the piano and recently began to learn violin. Why of all instruments I would choose one of the hardest is beyond me! Maybe it is all theory that it will take me a long time to get it right, so I have all those years a head of me to learn!

Please take pixs of those who display, it will be inspiring to us who are unable to attend. Hazel

becat

hi Ruby

Post by becat »

There are tons of artist in the group. Writers, painters, crafters, etc.
You may add me to the list of artist, although, I'm thinking my work fits more in a crafters area.
I will bring a smaller tree and a pillow that I have beaded for you. I'll forgo the other arts I have done, as there is a weight limit to luggage. LOL
Anything that takes your mind away and expresses some feeling, helps me. I hate that I can not crochet on the plane, nor can I bead anything. I can take the needle on the plane, but no scissors. It's so hard to fly with out the handwork to keep my feeble mind busy. LOL
thanks for your work on this Ruby. Hugs to ya.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Hazel, I haven't talked to you before and I'm really sorry you won't be there for me to meet. BUT, you are also another positive in my theory. I will be more than happy to take pictures although I don't have a scanner or anyway to send you copies other than snail mail. I certainly would be willing to do that. I hope to hear from others like yourself. Like you, I love decorating for events and I do lots of craft painting for fun. I love to have parties for others and decorate with a certain theme. You know, I just thought of a talent I have! Thank Goodness! I was afraid no one would listen to me about RLSers being creative and talented if I didn't have a talent or hobby myself :oops: But I LOVE doing scrapbooks for people for special occasions. I did one for my husband's 50th birthday, my sister's 40th birthday and my parent's 50th anniversary. I enjoyed it SOOO much and they were all thrilled (they were surprises, by the way). I will print out your response to my thread and take it along to Orlando. Unless you would like to re-write it or change anything in it. And I read your response about the National Meeting and being unable to be there. Thank you for your warm thoughts for all of us who will be there. And you can ask Becat and Jan later, I will HOWL AT THE MOON just for you!

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Ah, my beautiful Becat. Thanks for supporting me on this. If you can manage to get those to the meeting it would be WONDERFUL!!! This may be a wild idea but I've just met too many RLS sufferers that are creative and manage to find a way to express that creativity. Jan phoned me to tell me she will be there YEAH!!! If she can't bring one of her windows, she can bring pictures and maybe some or one of the pillows she does too. Guess I'll just bring me! Love to you, Ruby

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I'll see what I can bring. Not sure - glass on a plane handled by the luggage people concerns me :shock: . Possibly a black and white photo or two.

Ruby, you are talented at helping people, too. You are caring, generous, kind and creative with your spirit. Seems like more than enough to me.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

******applause from a penguin*******
Beware the Penguin

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Maybe we can set up a photo album using yahoo or some such place and put the convention photos there for viewing. I would be happy to digitalize any photos you might send my way Ruby & return the originals.

You live 3 hrs east of KC I live 3 hrs west.... sometime we will have to meet in the middle! hahahaha

More Applause*****************

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Thanks everyone for your support and comments. KSXROADS--I haven't talked to you before but meeting in the middle sounds good to me. I just might take you up on the photo deal! Penguin, I have seen your posts but never really talked to you either. Thanks for the applause! :oops: Are either of you going to be in Orlando? I would really like to meet you. Ann, thank you so very much for your kind comments. When I read the posts here I just can't help but think of all the kindness, support and caring that I just haven't found on other boards. I have been trying to find a discussion board for fibro but they all seem so tight, like they don't want anyone new in. That's why I like this board so much. I have met the best people here! Penguin, I have a feeling that you are a very talented person. Care to tell me about it? Ann, bring what you can; at least bring pictures, can't wait to see it all. I haven't received an answer back from the Foundation yet. I'll let you know what I find out.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Hello Ruby!

Well, I know you are a wonderful person just by reading your posts and how highly Becat regards you!

My talents are from writing, art, and singing. I lettered in Choir and received 14 medals from state competitions. One of my poems has been published and it's on this site somewhere......

As far as the fibro forums, i joined fibrohugs last night and so far it seems like a good place with caring people as well....

I really don't know what I would have done if i hadn't found you all. Thank you for everything!

Oops sorry, no I won't be able to attend in Orlando. But think of me.

Loves from a penguin
Beware the Penguin

LadyRavenHeart

Things I do

Post by LadyRavenHeart »

Well, unfortunately, I'm in South Africa, so will have to send you or post photographs of my work. :lol:

I do a lot of writing, from poetry all the way to full blown novels. Don't know where I find the time, but I do. On the last board I was a member of I set a project for myself and wrote a personlised poem for each of the members. Would love to do the same for you people too. :D

I also do decoupage, a little painting, jewelry (am a Goldsmith by trade) and ... well almost anything creative.

I am studying towards a BA in Criminology and Psychology too. :roll:

Heck, seeing as I'm on a roll here, let me carry on !!

Oh - did I mention that I'm a mother of 3? Twin girls of 7yrs and a boy of almost 10ys. :P

I am a fulltime legal P.A. too! :shock:

Anyway, motor mouth over here needs some coffee ... so let me be off and let someone else get a word in edgeways for a bit. :?

Love ya all!!

Jacs (Jacqui)
Image©

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Well, it is really good to hear from both of you!!! Penguin, please rewrite your poem on here for me so I can print it out and take it with me. Any other talents than the ones you mentioned, just let me know and I will add them to your list. I think it would be a really good idea if those of us who attend the meeting, dedicate some time there in remembering our friends that can't make it. We'll figure out a way! Jacs, South Africa! I am so impressed! I am glad you chimed in. Are any of your novels in the U.S.? And a poem about us...that would be great!!! I'll add you to our list. I hope more people let us know what they do or at least let me know if they are interested. Anyway, thanks for talking to me. And Penguin, thanks for the word about Fibrohugs. I have been on there and maybe just hit a bad time.

LadyRavenHeart

Poetry

Post by LadyRavenHeart »

Is there a board here specifically for poetry?

If not, what are the chances of starting one?

I have heaps and heaps of stuff, but nowhere to post it other than on my site.

I won a couple of awards years ago at the local Eistedfodd here, 3 bronze, and 2 silvers.

Looking forward to sharing with you all.

Jacs
Image©

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

here you are Ruby

VETERANS

To me, means freedom
To me, means peace
To me, means bravery beyond comprehension

Sacrifices given without any complaints
Going to places that are strange and terrifying
Putting their lives on hold to protect Democracy

Coming home to indifference
Never knowing those that appreciate every second given
Never knowing those who teach their children to respect the Armed Forces
Showing children the importance of being thankful for the freedoms given

The freedom you have given me is exactly that, a gift.
You don’t know who I am, yet, you selflessly gave me the greatest gift of all
The freedom to be me, the freedom for my child to be anything she wants
The freedom to get an education. The freedom just to live.

From my heart, I thank you all.
The words are minimal compared to what you have given
I only hope that they are enough

Author
Dawn Wendell
Beware the Penguin