New Sections?

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
ViewsAskew

New Sections?

Post by ViewsAskew »

In the Creativity post, someone asked if there was a section specifially for poetry or if we could create one. We do not have any special sections except the General one, which is a catch-all for a wide variety of conversations. Each message board varies considerably. I was on one the other day that had at least 25 or 30 sections! Then I've been on other boards that have one section and everything goes in there. I do know that Bryan, our technical guru and administrator, can add topics if we want them.

How do these five sections on this board work for everyone? Are there enough? Should they be broken down differently? Are we missing certain populations? What would you like to see the same or different? Or do you think everything is just perfect the way it is? Have you been on another board that has something that you really like and thing we should consider?

From the post in the creativity thread, an example would be to have an creative release section. It might consist of people sharing their creative pursuits - that would include anything from gardening to poetry to cross-stitch.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Perfect Ann!! I think you have something. I agree that the General Topics is a catch-all. I for one would like to see a section for sharing hobbies, poetry, etc. I think there might be others that would be good too if we take the time to think about it.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey guys, it's Jan

BTW, Ruby, your idea for the meeting (taking artwork, etc.) is WONDERFUL! Don't say you have no talent, please. Your creativity shows through your great ideas!

I'm an administrator on another board, and we have several different categories: Artwork and Crafts; Poetry and Short Stories; and a Photo Album. It's a support board for fibro, RA and other AI's. We also have "serious" categories" of course, and a general category, as well. We usually do "good morning" posts in the general category as well as other non-medical issues we wish to discuss. Medical issues are posted in another section, which is separated into categories for fibro, RA, and med. info in general. I have posted info about RLS on it for the members.

Just thought I'd mention what we have.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Jan, I'm wondering how you like those extra categories. Do you see it as overwhelming or comfortable? Or maybe it makes it more personal or maybe too personal!

Obviously, people will get what they want and need from whatever we have. If we were to consider adding a section (or two or three. . .) I would want to make sure we didn't alienate anyone. I'd want them to feel more included because of it, not less. Maybe that's not possible, though, because we each get different things out of being here.

What a smart thing to tell them all about RLS. It seems to often go with several AIs, so sharing that with them seems to be a good thing.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

cornelia

Post by cornelia »

I don't want to offend ANYONE, I think the creativity ideas are absolutely great, but if I speak just for myself I think that a RLS Board is for RLS and creativity for other boards if RLS is not involved. E.g.: a poem about RLS needs a place on the RLS Board and a poem on other subjects somewhere else. I can very well imagine that people in this group want to share their creative things, but IMHO they should start a new group.

Well, the above is what I personally think of course. If people decide otherwise no problem at all. If I don't want to read about creativity of the members of this board I just don't open the threads.

Ann, maybe there could be a special section on coping strategies with RLS; how do we handle attacks, get on with relatives, how do we cope with the fact that our disorder is for life, how are we able to stay positive etc. etc..

Corrie

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Ann

The board I'm speaking of is much smaller than this one. I was just explaining how our board works. On the fibro board, it's comfortable and doesn't alienate anyone. But, this is a much larger board, so I think sections such as the photo album probably wouldn't be a good idea on this large board--probaby too personal. Just MHO. It's just fine on the smaller board I'm referring to.

And, of course, on this board, I don't think we need categories for other AI's. Again, just MHO. Because this is a much larger board, it probably wouldn't be possible to do everything we do on the board I'm referring to. I was just giving you an example of what we do. On a board this size, some of this would probably be overhwleming. So, as you say, take what you want and leave the rest. Whatever you all decide will be great, I'm sure.

Jan

jan3213

More................

Post by jan3213 »

It's Jan again

As you see, I wrote the above post rather late, so I'd like to add something I forgot.

I, personally, would not be offended or feel left out if you added a topic which has something to do with creativity. I think it would be a good outlet for a lot of people--whether it's about RLS or not. It wouldn't be mandatory that someone post something in that category, of course. And, if you don't want to read it or participate it, just skip it.

On the board now, there are two categories in which I participate very rarely--the Non-Pharm category and the Special Population. But, I think they are great sections for other people.

I think Ruby has a very good idea. Ann, I hope I've answered your questions to your satisfaction. As I said, it was late when I posted last night, and I just wanted to clarify this one point.

Thanks Ann! This is a good discussion.

Jan

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

I'm easy!

I just hit the "view topics unread since last visit" and scan through what there is in the list & view/respond to whatever catches my eye.

I do like the idea about the creativity one tho ... i remember posting a "light entertainment" post wayyyyyyyy back ages ago which is now lost in the general section somewhere ... but it would be good to have somewhere where people who can write funny poems/limericks/stories/draw pictures/etc can share their talent with us and we can lighten our darker days with their creativity.

I know i said "i'm easy" ... but will ponder the subject a lil more.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I'm still with you Ann on having a few more Topic Headers. I still like the creativity one and I like the suggestion on coping and the one about spouses. I am glad that those who don't really think it appropriate or needed also say that if we do it, that's okay they just don't have to read it. General Topics has become too much of a dumping place which is okay too but I think we really could use a few more headers. Go for it Ann, I'm right behind you!!
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)