Neko Case, CPAP, Sleep Study and other Thrilling Topics

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Walking After Midnight

Neko Case, CPAP, Sleep Study and other Thrilling Topics

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Hey, first of all did anyone else see Neko Case on Leno's show tonight?
Whoa. Beautiful. One of my favorite singers PLUS all that gorgeous Red Hair.
Ok. Am I out of line here?

I've been LIVING at the Steel Mill, in the garage, under a Semi Trailor doing a complete break job on this God Forsaken piece of equipment on regular and overtime. My body feels like it's screaming at me. STOP! I wake up in the morning and my feet hurt even before they touch the floor, concrete and I do not get along, not to mention legs and back from ducking under, crawling and sliding, sitting on my knees and other weird positions that are not agreeable to a 46 yr old body that's been pretty much taking it easy this winter. But...on payday I'll feel better. I hope.

My wife's Hairdresser, who I happened to have went to school with and has been a fixture in this town...told her that he too has RLS. Like me, he has lots of aches and pains, stiffness etc with his RLS. He had had a sleep study done and they fixed him up with a CPAP because of his sleep apnea.
Here's the important part.
This guy told my wife that ever since he's been sleeping with the CPAP, he's not had the aches and pains that he's always had in his legs. He still has RLS, he's on Mirapex, but doesn't have all the pain.
I'm wondering if this is a common experience?
I'm having Part Deux of my sleep study done this Tuesday...so I'm really curious. I just hope I don't do anything embarrassing in my sleep.

Oh yeah. One more day of work...Friday...and then I start one week's vacation.
Hallellujah.

Goodnight
Randy

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey WAM

I can just imagine how much you hurt after spending time with that semi. Concrete is bad enough on "normal" legs---let alone legs with RLS! I can hardly crawl out of bed, I hurt so badly all over. I would never make it doing what you do!!!!!

Good luck with "part deaux" of your sleep study. Interesting little tidbit about your wife's hairdresser and his CPAP machine. I don't know if there's any correlation between getting all that oxygen and less achiness--but, who knows?!!!

Hope you have a great vacation. Going anywhere, or just gonna relax?

Jan :)
No one is alone who had friends.

becat

WAM and Jan

Post by becat »

Hi to you both,
I think makes ggod sense about the CPAP machine.
More oxygen, better breathing, better rest, better healing time.
Now the hairdesser may have painless RLS or maybe it's really mild.
But lets face it, the only time your body can heal is during deep sleep. So even over exercising, an extra long day at work, over doing it during the weekend....might be easy for someone sleeping well, to get over in a couple of days. Unlike us, that don't sleep well or deep enough.
RLS and my pain keep me from reaching that really good REM and thus the comoon cold can last 2-3 wks for me.....
Some of the group leaders got to sit in on a phone conference with the doc (Dr. B) about the basics of RLS. When he talked about exercise, he said that it's largely a mild to moderate form that is best for RLSers. Walking and water workouts, by far was the best way to get good exercise, less body stress (my words), and it often came down to be different slightly for all of us.
So I's thinking, WAM, you'll need that week off, to heal from this week! :D
I love to remodel. I actually am best at tape and bedding and texturing the walls. I love to add sparkle confetti to the celing paint, ok paint and throw or blow it up onto the wet paint. At night the slightest light will set it all off and you've got stars. I'd take a while to heal, but I'd help if I were close.
Hugs to all.

Walking After Midnight

jan3213 wrote:Hope you have a great vacation. Going anywhere, or just gonna relax?

Jan :)

Jan...I have a sort of "Honey-Do" list comprised of Romex wire, hanging drywall, Pergo flooring...well one or at least some of all of those.
I have a very workable plan of defense though, consisting of (and I don't want to give too much away to the "other side") distraction, good food, quick runs to the store turning into day long road trips, and you know, generally keeping her mind on everything else. I'll even engage with her in...lets just say the "S" word if I have to. That's right, I'll go Shopping if that's what it takes.
Anyway...I won't be at US Steel. So that's a good thing.

I don't even know if I'm going to need a CPAP. But, apparrently something is going on (I hear) if they want to do a second sleep study. Unless they just want more money. It was interesting to me though and I wanted to know if it was a well known benefit. It does make sense though becat, now that you put it that way.

becat if you're good at taping and mudding drywall...("tape and bedding"?) then I could use you. The last room I did turned out good, but took me a month just to tape and mud...and it was just a 9X11 room. ugh.

becat

Post by becat »

Hiya WAM and Miss Jan,
My parents and grandmother bought land in the country and moved two 100 year old houses on the land when I was a kid. (gosh that makes those house at least 120 now LOL) they remodel both those houses and it was a long wonderful process. And all my life it's been tape and bed the sheetrock. Just cause you called me out on it, I'm not coming next week to help you! LOL It's a long tough job, I like the sanding in between layers, except now I'm affraid I'd need a mask to do that job. My sinuses have aged some and I don't take it as well as I use to. I don't think I ever saw my mom for 7-8 years that she didn't have paint or spakle in her hair all the time. LOL
My thoughts will be with you. :) Hey good luck with the sleep study.
My husband went to my last doc appt. with me and checked out all the CPAP stuff, he thought he could use the side model. LOL He really needs the machine but I doubt I've been able to impress him much on this issue.
hang in there.
Lynne

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey WAM and Miss Becat

WAM, your plan of "distraction" sounds pretty good to me---especially that "s" word! Always ready to shop!

I've never drywalled, but I have helped with a lot in the way of home improvements. My husband and I put down a Pergo floor several years ago, when you had to glue it together instead of locking. Took us forever, but it is worth it. You know, Becat, there's a certain charm in having spackle and paint in your hair. :lol:

WAM, have a good one, even if you have to do your "honey do" list. Sometimes, it's fun?!

Later
Jan

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Hey guys, we could start our own home-improvement show here. I'm spending my free time painting. We re-did our entire kitchen two years ago, stripped it completely down; ceiling, walls, floor and redid it all. Gosh, I hate sanding! But it looks great. We have 4 rental houses and one of them is empty so I am re-painting every d&$# ceiling and wall in the place. Actually I really enjoy painting, but it just kills my elbows and shoulders anymore. WAM, I hope by now you are feeling better. Anyway can you convince my hubby what the s word really stands for?! As for the CPAP machine, I've been on one since December. I HATE the thing but when I use it, I do feel better. More energy, not so groggy in the morning. I can't tell that it helps the aches and pains a lot but maybe a little. My problem is that I start the night with good intentions and around 2:00 am it gets so uncomfortable that I take it off. I just haven't found a mask that works for me yet. But the concept is good and I really believe that it helps. Hey, we can call our home-improvement show--RLS Home Makeovers; What to do When Your Up All Night Anyway. The first segment, "How to Fix the Floors Ruined by Late Night Walking."
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jan

Jenne1950

Post by Jenne1950 »

About the CPAP and RLS: lack of oxygen, caused by not breathing right during the night, can cause the leg muscles to contract. Or so my sleep doctors and neurologist told me. Now both the sleep apnea and RLS have gotten worse but I use my CPAP every night and when I take medications that help the RLS. (Which seems to be hard to find sometimes), I do ok.
Jenny

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

I'll let you know how I feel tomorrow... got the CPAP machine today. As for helping one heal, I am praying ... healing has not been a strong suit in my deck of cards lately!

Dr. is convinced that it will help with the aches and pains! I am trying to share in his conviction.

Lord knows I need it, as the fog I am functioning under is overwhelming!

Love the remodeling and home improvement idea... honestly in my younger days I did the majority of home improvements late at night, I look back and realize that it probably was because of the RLS and I couldn't sleep any ways! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had 1st sleep study... I want to know did they keep coming in to wake you up???? They kept coming in and adjusting the electrode on my neck... so many times that I thought how the heck could they get an accurate reading, then I *assumed* maybe they just came in when they saw I was coming up from whatever stage... I don't know!

2nd study, basically the same... though I thought the machine seemed to help, but these daze any thing tends to give me the placebo affect.

Lately I forego all shopping can barely tolerate going to the grocery ... still can tolerate the other s... to some degree... :lol: :D :twisted: :lol: :lol: :)

A friend of mine who does not have RLS says the CPAP did help her. Over a time the pressure had to be adjusted, and she notices when she is not sleeping as well etc that it is time to ask if it should be increased.

Now I read through all the posts and wanted to respond to each of you
*****Ruby, Becat, Jan, WAM, Jen,**** but heck the fibro frog is high today! You have a great week off Randy, if it was this week I hope you enjoyed it!

PS They wouldn't let me see my video tape... dang nab it!
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Walking After Midnight

Why didn't someone warn me about installing Pergo flooring?
I will never...someone write this down...NEVER install that crap again, and furthermore you can erase my name from the RLS Home Improvement show because I keep being reminded that I am a Mechanical Repair Tech and NOT a Carpenter/Home Remodeler. But, back to Pergo. I have figured out who the Anti-Christ is: it's the guy who invented that stuff. I've heard Anne say she'd like to meet the guy who invented Pantyhose in a dark alley somewhere, or something like that...I just hope the dude who invented Pergo shows up too and we'll both kick both their...behinds.

Anyway...the Hillbilly Hardwood floor is in. We still have to caulk around the perimeter, bring the appliances back in and put the trim up blah blah blah. My wife was there the whole way. I just wish I had HALF of her calm demeanor. Then I could be the one looking at someone like they were an idiot.

Did the sleep study. Here's the only thing I can tell you. My Technician Millie told me that they would probably come in halfway through the night and hook me up to a CPAP if it looked like I could need one. She never came in...so apparently if I have any Apnea it's so minor it doesn't require CPAP. So that's good. But Hazel...(I think), you're right. They were coming in all night bothering me. As if it's not hard enough to sleep with that wire Harness and leash attached restricting you everytime you try and move...Sweet Mother of Pearl.

Alright. I'm going to quit complaining.
For now.
Randy

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Guess I was lucky, they seldome came in during my sleep study. But I knew they were watching all night and that bothered me. Then I had this red light on my finger (checking the blood oxygen levels) so every time I rolled over my red finger would be moving around. I felt like "ET phone home!" Then I would start giggling...I'm sure they thought I was a lunatic. Hazel, if you get the CPAP and hate it like I do, at least give it a really good try. I know I feel better when I use it and I finally have a mask that isn't too bad. Hope it goes well with you. WAM, hang in there honey, ALL home improvements are the pits unless you really enjoy doing them. Especially if you and your spouse don't see eye to eye on how it should be done. Kenny and I really work better alone, but he can't do it by himself so there we are bickering about every little detail! Aww, wedded bliss!!!LOL
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

becat

Post by becat »

Well it's nice to see Miss Hazel running around here again. Welcome back and I certainly hope the lungs are better. Blessed with deep breathes, many of them.
Ugh! CPAP, Ruby, maybe we shoudl send her our list of alternative uses so that it's not so bad. LOL
Darn It Randy, I thought you'd get that sheetrock done before I had timeoff. I don't do Pergo! LOL But I use to love that big sander, when I was little I could ride it. LOL
Ruby is so right about the bliss, I'm sure you know this well too. I always want to do the job, but hubby doesn't. I love tearing it up and doing it a different way. My &0's style house was build for speed, not practical use. I often wait for ihs out of town trips for the big changes. LOL
Hugs to you all.
Lynne

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

HAHAHAHAHA... love that we can all share in the frustration of home improvement! hahahahaha I still think it would make a good sit com!

Could be why Will and I have done nothing but talk about projects!
:lol: :lol:

On second sleep study with the cpap, I still never entered stage 4 sleep... is that normal? who knows!

Used nasal mask thursday night took several hours to go to sleep, on waking I still felt tired...
Friday, woke up in the night and Will said I had taken the nasal mask off about an hour earlier in my sleep... no improvement noticed... waking I still felt tired...
Of course fibro is flaring too...
Saturday nasal mask... woke up with it off...
so last night used the nasal pillows, woke up with it on ... slightly more rested, but then I didn't do much yesterday! hahahahaha I think the nasal pillows are fairly comfortable, I can set the machine to work up to the setting gradually...

If it is to help with the fibro, I suspect it will take some time for affects to be noticeable.

I still am TIRED when I get up in the mornings and it lasts till around 10:30-11am... I'll give it till Wednesday before calling dr and asking if I need to increase the air flow...

My friend/coworker doesn't think it is helping me! hahahaha

Then again it has been drastic weather changes, and fibro flares...

((((BIG HUG)))))) Hazey
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

becat

Post by becat »

Hazel, I had to giggle when I reread this thread, You said you wanted to see your tape of the night at the sleep clinic.....I did too, but they won't let me. I wanted to hear for myself how loudly I "purr" in the middle of a deep sleep. No luck.
I did hit REM, but only for a few minutes at time. Who's to say that with all that is going on your going to be able to hit REm....seems likely that it would be tough for us.
Speaking of Fibro....any of you.....I heard about Fibro clinic's in my area. Does anyone else have one or ever heard of these?
Wonder if they have helped people or not.
Lynne