LEAD POISOINING---CHELATION THERAPY

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
jan3213

LEAD POISOINING---CHELATION THERAPY

Post by jan3213 »

Hi all

I don't know if I've mentioned this here or not, but I just had a procedure to see if I have lead poisioning or not. My husband has been concerned about this possibility for at least a year and my doctor, who thought it was a possibility, finally scheduled the procedure this past week.

I had chelation therapy last Tuesday. I was given EDTA via IV (EDTA is an abbreviation for ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid). The procedure took four hours and the drip rate was pretty fast. EDTA leaches lead from organs (if there is lead poisoining) and you excrete it through urine, which is collected for 24 hours. I had to be admitted--lovely hospital gown and all--during the time of the therapy and I had to continue to collect my urine until at home until the 24 hours was over, after which I had to take my urine to the hospital lab. My urine had to be kept on ice the entire time and it was kept in one container. I will know by this Wednesday, hopefully, if there was any lead in my urine.

A simple blood test for lead poisoning is usually done within 90 days of exposure. My doctor decided it was a good idea to do the chelation therapy since my exposure to lead paint was over such a long period of time.

One of the first symptoms of lead poisoning is PN, along with the numbness I have been having. So, I hope I have lead poisining--as crazy as that sounds! If my urine has a lot of lead in it, I will probably heave more therapy. If not, the mystery regarding the numbness continues.

However, I have to tell you that I DO feel a lot better. It could be because my body was "detoxed". It could be "power of persuasion".

For those of you who wonder how in the world I would get lead poisoning---I have sanded 100's of old windows, many having lead paint, without the benefit of a mask in sometimes close quarters, breathing in the dust. Stupid, I know--but, I just didn't think about the possibility of it doing me harm. I use these windows in my hobby/business.

Thanks!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Jan,

Hanging in there with you, while you wait for answers.

I think it is a good reminder. Who'd think that a nice young lady like you would possible be exposed to lead paint! A close friend of ours suffered from lead poisoning...it took the drs quite a while to realize that he had been exposed to it while remodeling older churches stained glass windows... Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

not being a witch honey but I hope you have it , too!

answers!!!!! that's what it's all about!!!!

love you swea pea!!!!

Penguin
Beware the Penguin

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Glad your doctor followed up with you on this and that you did it. Even more glad that you feel better - I really hope this is it. If not, I want to hear about a celiac panel :?

This Saturday I started my first set of windows (six) of three sets due to the home builder by the end of May. I thought of you as I was wearing my respirator mask to clean the lead dust in my studio, while getting ready to start the windows. It's not a role you ever wanted, but because of what you have had to go through, I will not forget to wear it when I am working with lead dust.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey Ann and Hazey

Thanks for your good thoughts! And, Ann, I'm GLAD you're wearing a respirator. I probably need to get one instead of a mask.

And, if this test turns out to be negative of lead, I will certainly consider a celiac panel! That's for darn sure.

Penguin, you're not being mean! I want it to be lead poisoning, too! May sound crazy, but it would be an answer!

Becat, thanks for your support, too! I couldn't have taken four hours with an IV and having to lie still without talking to you on the phone!

Love you guys!
Jan

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Got to be thankful for Serendipity, Ann!

Answers, I am not sure about others, but I do know for myself, knowing is much easier. Even if it is harsh, severe, unfavorable. Knowing gives me power over fear! Here is that f word again!

Since the diagnosis of RLS and the fibro, I do not have the overwhelming uncertainty as I did before.

Here's a silent prayer for answers for our Jan and Ms Penquin.

Love Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

becat

Post by becat »

Amen to answers.
Jan, I only wish it could have been a longer phone call. :D And yes, I'm with most on this Lead poisioning, while not good....can be dealt with.
Yeah ANN, keep reminding her, Jan needs a mask when she works.
Yeah Ann, again, on the big window job. Send pictures when you get some done. I love you eye and your work. If I ever build a house I'd like to have you do the window for the front door. Don't hold your breath on that, got a Sr. that is going to start college next year.
Penguin, if it helps, answers happen in due time. I think your doing a great job of hanging in there and keeping up.
You never know where the answer will come from and maybe hoe simple it might be.
I have a family member that has not been able to eat (almost anything) since last summer. Something strange happened and whammo, everything smells funny or makes him sick. This is a man that like food, loves to cook, etc...
They removed a cyst, rather large, in Nov. and it was not help. To watch him a Christmas was horrible. He'd get a fork 2-3 inches from his face and put it down.
Test after test, nothing. Tumors, cancer, thyroid, you name it, no answers. He is not the type to give up, but this was wearing him thin.
Finally, he was told a couple of weeks ago that he'd need to visit the Mayo clinic or something big like that to find answers.
Ready for this....last week his doc thought to try one medication for something off the wall. A fungal infection, 5 pills and last night he ate what he wanted and all is getting well.
Hang in there you two, it might not be this simple, but it's sure to be doable!
Hugs
Lynne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

OK, how thin did he get??? If it's curable by a few days of tablets, maybe we could make millions on this.

First, make a pill that infects people with this fungus that makes them hate food. When they get to the weight they want, we give them the cure! I guarantee we'd have lots of brisk business. If course, we have to make sure that the side effects from the fungus aren't deadly or anything, and we have to find a way to make people be happy about feeling bad, but otherwise? It's a winner :lol:

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Okay, folks!

Got the reslts from the chelation therapy/lead test. NEGATIVE! Why should I be surprised? Everything is negative. :? I was so hoping you guys could tell me to "get the lead out"! :wink:

I have learned to wear a mask---no--a respirator--when I do windows, though!

Now, the visit to the new neuro----- Maybe we'll get to the bottom of this mysterious mess. Ann, I haven't given up on what you were talking about.

Thanks, guys, for wishing with me that it was lead poisoning. Strange as it may seem to someone new who reads this, it would have been an easy fix!

Such is life with RLS/fibro/PN---all of this weird stuff! :roll:

Jan

becat

Post by becat »

Darn I wish you were glowing too!
hang in there Jan, it is what it is right now and answers are sure to be found.
Hug. Have fun this weekend. LOL
Lynne