STUPID PEOPLE

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
kittykat

STUPID PEOPLE

Post by kittykat »

Hi Everyone,
Did anyone watch The Bill Maur Show on HBO last night?
I wish I could have slapped him. He was talking about Drug Companies advertising and wanting peoples money.
He said they had come up with a new syndrome called Restless Legs Syndrome. Everyone laughed and he said, Yeah that's right Restless Legs Syndrome and then he said that if people with RLS would get up off their lazy a-- they wouldn't be restless or something to that effect and then said they had come up with a drug for it called rohip or something(his words) . How could anyone be so stupid?
kittykat

becat

Post by becat »

Thank you tons for letting us know. I heard he said something, but never could find where or what he said.
Amazingly, I never liked him before, but now I'll get teh chance to tell him. LOL
It's bound to happen more and more and I think we just simply need to educate people like him.
it does hurt, but again, I'll say it, most people think the same about RLS, unless they live with it or someone that does.
Thanks agin it was killing to hear what happened.
Lynne

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Sorry I'm so late on this but I agree that people like him are stupid and it's so sad because obviously he would rather get a laugh than research a truth. Is there an address we can write or email to complain? I know lots of people would say to let it go but I'm not willing to do that. I don't even know who this guy is but he's got me riled up.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

becat

Post by becat »

According to some Ruby, his statements showed brought them here.
It's nice that something so nasty (or someone) has given light to others about what torture they live with called RLS....., but I'm with you. YUK!
Here's one of his contact email addresses.
Bill Maher
billmaherfanmail@safesearching.com
Fan HA HA HA fat chance with me.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I've talked about things like this before. People see it differently--some do say they would have not known what they have it they had not heard his monologue. That's great--but, I don't think he talked about RLS so that people would be "enlightened". He was making fun of it (according to what I heard), plain and simple.

I had a horrible weekend (with RLS). I DID get my lazy butt off the couch. In fact, I couldn't sit or lie in bed, on the couch, or even a chair! This was one of those weekends when a good hacksaw used on my legs didn't sound bad!

So, I think I'll write him a little "fan mail", too.

It's one thing to be unsympathetic about something because you don't understand it. It's a totally different situation when you make fun of something because you don't understand it.

ARGHHHHHHHHH!
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

We were talking about this in another Thread. Not about Bill Maher...whatever his name is...but about the name "Restless Leg Syndrome" and how it doesn't exactly strike the sympathy chord in ANYONE.
Anyway, it doesn't bother me what that dimwit says about anything. Remember he used to have that show on late at night..."Politically Incorrect"? Real late at night. He just sat there all smug and self satisfied.
Can't stand that dude...but let him keep opening his mouth and soon he'll prove to everyone, as he's just proven to us, that he doesn't have a clue.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

WAM, I think you're right. I had composed lots of letters to email this idiot but it's not worth it. He would rather get a few laughs than research what he is talking about and the audience goes right along. Someday, some of those people may be sorry; heck, they may end up with RLS. Regardless, none of us would wish this on our worst enemy so for me right now I would rather focus on the positive. And he is definitely not on my list.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Well, actually, I never did write my "fan" letter. It just isn't worth it. I got everything off my chest in my post above. :roll: You're right about him proving to everyone that he doesn't have a clue. Bill WHO????

Jan :D
No one is alone who had friends.

bill maher

Post by Guest »

I expressed my opinion about this Bill Maher issue last week in the "New to RLS" thread. I'm not going to repeat it here but I will add to it. Fortunately the First Amendmend guarantees anyone (including Bill Maher) the right to say about anything they what. Even though I've suffered with RLS dearly for the past 15 years, my deep affection for the First Amendment in general and good comedy in particular trumps hurt feelings every time.

The latest issue of Nightwalkers states that the awareness of RSL has increased from 51 % to 64% in the last year. Maybe if Maher mentions RSL a few more times it will reach 100% before long!