Saving Billy

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
mikeyvon

theology

Post by mikeyvon »

Hi Guys,

Any time I spend more than 5 min. typing something, my post doesn't go through so I'll make short ones and hope for the best

mikeyvon

Post by mikeyvon »

When we lived in Cleveland we had a great group of friends and debated all the time. We discussed about everything. It was an eclectic group that included Russians, Brazilians, Turks, Leftests, and right wing nut jobs just to mention a few. I miss it a lot so I guess I'm using this Saving Billy thread to keep it going. It's General Topics:Non-RLS so why not.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Mike, what happens to your posts when you try to post long ones? Do they just not go through, or maybe get some kind of error message? I don't like it that you have to type little bits here and there! Not sure I can resolve it, but I can at least let the RLSF know and see if there are any ideas.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mikeyvon

Post by mikeyvon »

I hope being a non-believer hasn't offended my RLS friends. And you're absolutely right, It's all about faith. Something you have and I don't. I'm glad you do and would never want to change that. I guess I mentioned being an Athiest out of frustration with all the hatred and killing going on in the world today. It just makes no sense, and without going into a lot of detail..I blame it on Religion.

walkindafloors

Post by walkindafloors »

Would have loved being part of your discussion group, Mike. I don't think we can grow in any belief or knowledge unless we challenge and question it. Making a seperate thread seems like we'd loose the "permission" to challenge, kinda like when churches split over whose name will go on which pew. Thanks for your words of assurance to be myself here, Ann and Lynne. Suppose I was feeling my way, being new to discussion boards & all this (boy was I missing out!).

mikeyvon

Post by mikeyvon »

Hi Ann,

long post just don't go through. I'll try to finish this one. You're right religion and politics can cause problems sometimes. But I've always felt these topics need to be dicussed the most, especially in these crazy times. I welcome discussion and never get offended. We're all good people (this RLS family) and I don't antisipate any problems.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

I can't leave you guys alone for one day. hee hee.
Mike and I are enjoying this discussion. We've talked in "Chat" about it. I truly don't think anyone is offended...Mike just said he wasn't, I know I'm not and it sounds like everyone is being very understanding, even bending over backwards to be non offensive.
And furthermore (always wanted to say that)... not only do I think that moderating this thread is unecessary, I don't think any Moderation or Editing or Censoring could be done in a fair or impartial way...no matter how hard we try.
Take this for example.
Earlier in the thread, Mike said that converting Billy would be like giving him a lobotomy.
I honestly wasn't offended, but I think we could agree that from a Christian standpoint, that statement to some, could be taken as a serious knock on Christianity. But nobody showed any alarm. Now that a few people have posted about their Christian beliefs, we're talking about Moderating and maybe even creating a forum and all Religious talk will be isolated there.
I'm not criticizing Ann at all. I did the same thing to her once. All she did was mention a Buddhist (I think) philosophy and I messaged her and started an argument.

What's funny is when I wrote "Saving Billy", my objective was not to spread the Gospel, or preach, or anything like that. It was just a thought from something that had happened that day.

Isn't living with people who have different beliefs part of life? I mean don't we hear it and live with it every day? I think we can all handle it cant we?

becat

Post by becat »

WAM I Love you!

mikeyvon

fun

Post by mikeyvon »

Hi Walkindafloors (wdf) and others,

Sure, maybe we can have some fun. But give Randy the credit, he started it with Saving Billy LOL.

So, the closest I've come to an ephiphany/religious experience was the first time I read Einstien's Special Theory of Realitivity. Actually it's simple, elegant, and intuitive. In fact, it's so intuitive, I can't comprehend how a God would be necessary to create it.

See ya all tomorrow

love, mike

PS: Ann, seems to be working now. Thanks for checkin it out

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Randy, maybe I wasn't clear. My intention was to say that we need to play nice and be respectful- that may include thinking about how we speak and what we say and how we say it. Personally, I would expect that from everyone in ALL threads.

If people get offended, they need to speak up and let a Moderator know. THEN we can talk about truly "moderating" if at all. All I did was throw out some possibilities IF we need to do something down the road so that no one thought there were no options at all if some people were offended/bothered/whatever. Just my way of saying that we can be accomodating if needed.

We all see things so differently - its so easy for something like this to cause very bad feelings. I don't want that to happen. I've seen seeminly innocuous conversations and remarks hurt people and cause rifts that are not easily healed. It's just much more complicated than that it's part of life. - I wish it were that easy. We may not all be able to handle it - we're not in person, we can't hear each other, we can't see body language - and it's such a highly polarizing topic for some of us.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mikeyvon

test

Post by mikeyvon »

test

mikeyvon

billy

Post by mikeyvon »

Hey Randy,

I was thinking a lot about my lobotomy statement and realized it was a cheap shot against a good religion. I implied that saving Billy would break his spirit (a negative thing). I was dead wrong. I have good Christian friends that are spirited and fun, kinda like Billy. Saving Billy and keeping his spirited personnality intact might take a bit more finesse than with some people, but it can certainly be done and hope you can pull it off. Please accept my apology! Actually being wrong doesn't hurt that much when ya learn something about yourself.

My problems with religion usually stem from people that interpret it the wrong way or with people that present it poorly.

your buddy, mike

becat

Post by becat »

See I told you Mike was a nice guy.
I love you too Mike, you will always be a brother to me....older still, of course! LOL
It's a great thing to see that this thread will live in safety as it has all along. This group of people do see the common goal of support and comfort, education and awareness. And as usual, it's nt always about RLS, but it's about the family we've created here.
Kuddos to us all.
hugs, love and always our moon
Lynne

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

If anyone owes anyone an apology it's me. I don't know what's wrong with me you guys. Todd Snider said it best..."Sometimes growin up, I think I'm getting wiser and other times, I think I'm gettin older." But for me...the "gettin older" part is vastly outweighing the "wiser" part. So Mike, I swear the lobotomy comment didn't offend or upset me in any way. I knew exactly what you were trying to say, which is why I said..."Lobotomy? I don't get it." I took it as a light humorous jab and a kind of jumping off point for a discussion. I knew you didn't mean any harm by it. And when I brought it up again in this most recent post, I certainly wasn't looking for an apology...although I appreciate it.
And Ann, I'm sorry for singling you out like I did.
I was just getting up after Midnight, to use the bathroom and unfortunately the computer room is on the way so I stopped and checked everything out. When I saw this discussion going on, I thought I'd add my stupid two cents.
At first glance, I thought Ann was jumping in and talking about Moderating because a few of you had been talking about your Christianity. A knee JERK reaction, and I emphasise "Jerk" on my part, was that I thought that Ann was swaying on the side of the non christian, as if to say this discussion on Christianity might offend some members who are not believers. So I had to "straighten things out", and I rushed in and used Mike for an example to give credence to my "point". Now that I've re-read all this, it looks like the whole Moderating thing was brought up only because some of the members had mentioned they were afraid of offending other members, and so Ann came in as a Moderator to kind of....uh...Moderate.
So.
I hope nobody hates me, especially Mike and Ann, I know Lynne doesn't 'cause she just said she loved me. (Backatcha Lynne) I was actually thinking about this whole thing today at work. It was one of those feelings ilke...oh crap. I wish I could take that one back.
Sorry again.
I hope I don't continue this habit of making a Butthead out of myself.

Randy

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If I had a nickel for everytime I said something I later regretted. . .well, I'd have an awful lot of nickels. Bet that some of 'um would even be collectibles!

Besides, this is such a perfect example of how things happen online! Thanks for making it :lol: . You meant to, right?

Managing Your RLS