Movies, anyone?

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Went to the movies twice recently, both starring Daniel Craig. Saw the Bond movie Quantum of Solace, which normally we wouldn't even consider a Bond movie, it was pretty good.
Also saw him in 'Defiance' based on a true story during WW2. It was good.

And doesn't Daniel Craig look so like a young Steve McQueen.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I admit to liking the Bond movies. They are just too.....fun. Completely unrealistic, of course, so I can ignore some things that would bother me tremendously in a different movie.

Glad to hear that he did the Bond role well. Each time there is a change there is such gnashing of the teeth, lol. I thought I heard one of the prior Bond actors say that Daniel Craig was awful...I thought that very meanspirited! But, I'm not positive I heard it correct....
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I have a confession to make here. My daughter and I went to see "Marley and Me" about a week ago, and we LOVED it. 8) At the end we were both sobbing. What is it about sad (and funny) dog stories that does that to people?

On the Rotten Tomatoes site, there's all this blather about how the movie is really about "a young man's journey to adulthood" yada yada. Don't believe any of it. It's about the dog! And really, only dog lovers would enjoy the movie.

I had a dog who was a lot like Marley, at least during the first 2 years of her life. She was a black lab cross, and chewed up everything: one of every pair of shoes I owned, my mother's hand-crocheted afghan, her calico duck, wires from the stereo speakers, part of the couch, etc. And she had a bad habit of sneaking up behind people and barking, so that they would jump out of their skin. She almost got it with a snow shovel for doing that. Unlike Marley, though, she mostly outgrew her evil ways.

Now I want to see Grand Torino. It's about Hmong gangs in the east side of St. Paul, my home town. Unlike the Marley movie, it has very high ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.
Susan

mikeyvon

Post by mikeyvon »

Hey Ann,

Back from LA. really nice..record hi temperatures. I finally found "Slumdog Millionaire" here in Pennsyltucky. I'm gonna see it tomorrow. It's supposed to win it all at the Oscars and I'm sure it will from what I hear about it. Kinda like "The English Patient" back a few years ago...ya couldn't find the movie anywhere untill it cleaned up at the Oscars. I don't understand all that screwed up Hollywood stuff.

mike

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Let me know if you like it.

I just Tivoed Juno...hope I like it. I've got about twenty others, too. If any are good, I'll write about them.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

WAM

Post by WAM »

Mikey! Hows it going? Haven't heard from you since around Christmas.
I started working on an email but couldn't come up with anything interesting. heh. It's just too cold and froze up...feels like life has come to a screeching halt.

I saw Defiance too Betty. Very good. We really liked it. Saw it last week.

I'm getting ready to watch a couple movies, one about the Crusades called Kingdom of Heaven, one about Alexander the Great and K-Pax which I've seen a couple times but found in the pawn shop so I picked it up. I like it a bunch.

Watched No Direction Home last weekend. It's about Bob Dylan going electric and what lead up to it and the reaction to it.
Also saw Nacho Libre which I thought was hilarious. One of those weird movies, maybe I was just in the mood for it.

Ann, it's funny cause I DVR'ed "Juno" too. Just haven't watched it yet. My son who's 26 and quite the movie critic, meaning I trust his opinion for the most part, liked it quite a bit. I thought it was a teenage movie but he says it's really not.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I heard good things on NPR about it, for what that's worth. I trust your son :-).

I recently Tivoed the following:
Tucker
The Savages
Brokeback Mountain
The Big Kahuna
Things We Lost in the Fire
I am Legend
The Bucket List
Amores Perros
Closely Watched Trains
Close to Home
Sisters
Umberto D

We've only watched Tucker out of the list.

Managing Your RLS

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I just remembered one of my old favorites: Shall We Dance?

(Not the American one, mind you. The original Japanese version.)
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

mikeyvon

Post by mikeyvon »

So Randy, how are things with you? I'll send ya an E-mail in the next few days. Not much new here except the place I was truckin for shut their doors last week. Doing nothing now. Typical of this bad economy.

Saw "Slumdog Millionaire" tonight. Wow! first class movie. It's so nice to see a low budget Indian film do so well...and so refreshing after a lifetime of being bombarded by big money Steven Spielberg blockbusters. Stevie-boy with all his money could live a thousand years and never come close to ole' Slumdog.

mikey

Neco

Post by Neco »

I don't watch many movies these days, with a few exceptions.

I like the new Batman Movies, saw Hancock, but nothing in particular jerks my chain these days.. I also have different tastes I guess.

I like what old people think are "cartoons", lol.. Which is really Anime, and can be just as involving and mature as any live action movie depending on what you are watching. It's a lot better to have the luxury of a 2 hour movies or a 50 episode TV series though.

If anyone likes the Pixar CG movies, I would reccomend some other CG stuff that is more grown up and not disneyfied. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, was a decent movie. I remember seeing it in the theaters when it came out and it was awesome, lightyears ahead of anything American CG had out at the time, in terms of realistic actors i.e Beowulf.

It's kind of a generic plot but its not goofy or kiddy and has big name voice actors.. Donald Sutherland, Ving Rhames, Steve Buscemi, Ming-Na, and god I hate the man these days, but Alec Baldwin too.

A recent straight to DVD was Vexille which was overall a pretty interesting movie about an ultra isolated Japan that had been closed off from the outside world for around 10 years, and centers around the remaining population who were being slowly turned into biomechanical cyborgs by a manufactured virus; who are fighting back to destroy the person who did it to them, with a little help from some U.S infiltrators who had no clue what they were getting into. Chock full of action though.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Zach--

I'm a big anime buff. Unfortunately, telling people that is almost as distressing as telling someone I have RLS, since it sets up all kinds of annoying preconceived notions about me. That's sad, since anime tends to have far more depth and intelligence than most american cinema and TV these days, so what they think is actually the opposite of reality in most cases.

I did at least convince my wife that there's a good reason for enjoying it. I had her watch the Miyazaki films, which she adored, of course, and then took her to the next step by showing her episode one of Haibane Renmei, after which she came back again and again for the next disc. :) She doesn't like everything, but she understands now that it's not all Speed Racer and Sailor Moon.

By the way, if you like CG anime, the Appleseed movies are pretty well done. I think the second one has a better story, but they're both good.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I lived in an artist's residence long ago, working on photography and glass. I love shooting black and white images of graffiti and have traveled to many cities to shoot. One day I was showing my next door neighbor some new work and she said, "Oh, that's Anime." Except, I thought she said, "Oh, that's Anna May," or some such, assuming she was a cartoon character.

Pretty funny how naive I was about that! My excuse is that it was years ago...

I'd just moved into the city when that happened. Shortly thereafter, I went to a lovely Anime film festival. That is probably how I learned of my gaffe. We've rented a few films, but we certainly haven't seen many at Blockbuster...

Managing Your RLS

Neco

Post by Neco »

Rental chains have never been good to the Anime crowed.. on the East Coast, the place to shop were places like Sun Coast or some small mom and pop store.. There was a shop in College Park, run by I am guessing University of Maryland students or whatever, tons of Anime there, video games too, especially imports and all that neat stuff. Tons of untranslated crap I always wished I could read.

I own both Appleseed Movies, and I own Vexille also, which is why I recommended it.. Don't own Final Fantasy TSW, but hopefully I'll pick it up one day..

I don't understand how adults can watch Disney and its OK, but if you watch Anime something is wrong with you.. Guess they're just jealous 8)

Aiken..forgot to mention in my PM.. Death Note is good if you haven't seen that.. And yes, Blood+ was made by the same people who did the short OAV. I want to buy the TV series one day, fell in love with Saya. There is also a graphic novel / comic print that came out I think in '08. I wanted that too, I think it fills in more backstory and what goes on between episodes.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Blockbuster stores used to have a great anime selection, something like three or four racks' worth. However, they seem to be allowing the old discs to get retired now without replacing them. Once in a while a new movie shows up (e.g. Paprika), but usually the supply is dwindling and doesn't even fill a whole rack now.

I get everything from Netflix, Blockbuster Online, or Greencine mail services these days. Plus now there's Netflix streaming, though the anime is all dubbed, *mutter*.

WAM

Post by WAM »

Slumdog Milliionaire is a new one on me but I'm gonna have to look it up on your reccomendation. I gotta say that Y tu Mama or whatever it's called turned me off right from the beginning and I didn't even watch it. Close minded conservative! no fun.
I'll be looking forward to that email. Sorry to hear about your trucking co. idleing down or shutting down. It's getting pretty bad. I know USSteel has shut down a few plants in the US, Great Lakes in Michigan and Granite City in Ill. I know in Granite City, the town is actually built aroud the steel mill so it's gotta be hurting that town.
We've lost a few people so far and have new lines going down in the plant everyday. the Tin lines seem to be dowing well, they say because people stay home and eat lots of food out of tin cans.
Mike, If this message is messed up, I can't see a think because my glasses are in the other room and it's late. I'm having trouble sleeping tonight, I just took another Lyrica and another Klonopin so hoping they kick in and I can kick back. I can't even review what I've written cause I can't see it so let's hope for the best.
God Bless You Mike.....
Nice to hear from you...It's always great to hear from someone who, even tho we don't necessarilyl believe spiritually and politically alike, you still appreciate me as a person and I thank you for that and I return that appreciation, fondness and respect. Been meaning to say that.
Best to you...
Randy