Movies, anyone?

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Randy, I am sorry you didn't like Y Tu Mama. I was thinking earlier today about how diverse our lists were (not yours and mine) but just everyone's. It's amazing that people can talk about anything without a fight, lol. What seems perfectly logical and understandable to one of us is alien to the next person.

I admired what you said to Mike. And, Mike, I admire a person who can do that. I can only hope that I can learn to be better at that in the next half of my life. It is a true grace.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

WAM

Post by WAM »

ViewsAskew wrote: And, Mike, I admire a person who can do that. I can only hope that I can learn to be better at that in the next half of my life. It is a true grace.

Man you got that right sister.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I always wonder how some people stay friends or, even more amazing, stay married! Like Maria Shriver and Arnold. I can't imagine being married to someone in an opposing political party of mine...I truly need to work on this, lol!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Opposites attract ?

mikeyvon

Post by mikeyvon »

Hey guys...esp Randy and Ann,

Ann, did you know Randy and I met last summer. He was traveling Rt. 80 on his way to vacation on the east coast with his family so he gave me a call...and just by chance I was driving in the big truck north out of Harrisburg. So we met at a truck stop on 80....only for about an hour, but we had a nice visit. He's a great guy with a nice family...or ya might say, "He's da man".

So Randy, ya still gotta see Slumdog. First class movie...nothing like Y Tu Moma. I enjoyed Y tu not necessarily because it was great, but because it was diffferent and was filmed in Mexico (I visited many of our plants in Mexico and love the place). Slumdog isn't popular now but it will be after it wins it all at the Oscars next month. It's actually quite inspirational...poor orphaned Indian child makes good with a love story mixed in. And the poverty, wow, ya really see it up close but somehow they mix in enough humor to make the poverty more palatable. I've never been to India but I saw poverty up close in Mexico City and Sao Paulo Brazil (not real up close...more of a drive by with a friend), but regardless where it is, it all looks the same, tragic.

Also, I had some extra appreciation for the movie because I worked very closely for many years with several Indians. And we still keep in touch. One in particular is a real piece of work and some day I'll tell you the full story. Slumdog reminded me of something he told me once. Years ago I sent him to Mexico to solve some problems at one of our plants. He told me when he got off the plane in Mexico City he inhaled and looked over the city and he immediately he said to himself, "I'm back home in India". So apparently poverty looks and smells the same everywhere.

So, see Slumdog and we'll talk soon.

PS. If this economy gets much worse, we'll all be Slumdogs soon.

Mikey

happyfeet

AAAGGGHHH!

Post by happyfeet »

Viewsaskew...how could you start a subject like this?!

It's to much crazy fun...I think my brain will explode!

I recommend:

"The Art of Negative thinking" (Norway) - OMG. it's dark. it's funny. and you just might feel bad for laughing.

"His Girl Friday" - Gary Grant and Rosalind Russell. Just hang on and enjoy the ride.

"Mom and Dad Save the World" - Jon Lovits. One of my favorite cheesy films

Agh! brain hurts! too many films to remember...

"My Man Godfrey" (1936) - William Powell/Carole Lombard. It's a favorite. Just a screwball comedy from the depression

"The Thing" (1951) - Accept no remakes!

"Once" (2006) - Gooey sweet love story. A movie you'll want to see (wait for it)... twice!!

"The Spirit" (2007) - the comic brought to the big screen...how could something so well loved go so bad?
Anything I write down is my own opinion and not to be taken seriously. Just ask my husband.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Mike - I gathered that you met from your post. One of these days WAM and I will meet; we keep trying, but it hasn't worked out. If you are traveling through Chicago, just let me know in advance; we'll make it a group meeting with WAM.

I'm looking forward to Slumdog. Speaking of poor people in other countries, wasn't there a movie a few years ago where teens were given cameras? I heard about in on NPR...just never remembered the title or the complete premise.

On a similar note is this incredible film I saw a few years ago..it was clips of maybe 90 seconds each of things like one of the large dumps where people live in and work salvaging garbage, of how they treat animals in plants, and moving enviromental images. A similar film was done in the last year or so - but it was just about food and how its produced and made. Fascinating - this latest one had no sound added and at times was almost eerie. Can't remember the name of either.

Managing Your RLS

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Happyfeet - ah! A movie lover?

When I was a teen, I babysat the neighbor's son went to kindergarten in the afternoon. We were on this weird split shift schedule, so I didn't start high school until noon (went to 5 PM).

So, each morning Adam would join me at about 8:30 as his mom went to work. At 9 AM, some local channel would show an old movie: Carol Lombard, Cary Grant, Charlie Chan, etc. My, did I see some fine old movies that year. I haven't seen many since, but I certainly enjoyed those. His Girl Friday and My Man Godfrey were among them - classics.

Once was indeed lovely. By the way, I just read that the two main actors - who actually are singer-songwriters - just broke up. They hooked up during filming.

Managing Your RLS

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

To Kill a Mocking Bird

Streetcar Named Desire(Stella!)

Gone With The Wind

Citizen Kane and Witness for the Prosecution just to name a few. :)
A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one. ~ J. Pierpoint Morgan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the rare movies that I liked (loved) when having read the book before seeing the movie.

All of the ones on your list are classics!

Managing Your RLS