Stressed and distressed

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
ctravel12

stressed and distressed

Post by ctravel12 »

Hey Zach what a nice post that you sent to Susan.

It is people like you that make this board such a success.

You know Zach the advise that you offered Susan was great and that is a good break through for you or anyone else.

Keep up the good work and hope that you are doing good everyday.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

becat

Post by becat »

Awesome Zach,

I would have to agree with the therapy thing. I looked at it this way, if they had an ear infection, I couldn't fix that on my own, I went to the doc.....I have done therapy with one as well. It was funny that we ended up fixing things on our own terms after a year, wish we could have done that all along.
But, you never know what someone else is really thinking, so we went and sought help.
Thank you for the blunt and wonderful way you opened up to us in this thread.
Hugs to you my dear.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I dunno if I really saw it as opening up.. I guess it's that age gap thing, I grew up on the 'net, I just naturally open up in that way I suppose. Knowledge is meant to be shared after all.

I admittedly suffered long and hard before I was willing to even consider therapy, since I viewed it as something that completely ruined my life in the first place. But once you move past your prejudices and bad experiences, and find the right people to work with, all that damage can eventually be reversed, or at least reduced to a state where you can move on.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

chicory wrote:Your daughter sounds alot like my son at that age; bright, talented, and depressed! He too would be abusive, make threats, brake things and generally lash out at us. I think that those kids who are so bright have it especially rough; their minds are way ahead of their emotions. It broke my heart - like yours feels now. When it's your own kid it's hard to deal with, no matter what your training. Do all you can do to get your daughter to the doctor - make sure that there isn't a medical problem to cause the depression, then it's to counseling and medication. The teen years are hard on lots of kids. Add to that the fact that her dad had a life threating illness and her mom a chronic one and you have a recipe for depression. As parents we'd do anything to protect our kids and sometimes we just can't. My prayers are with you and your family. Good luck! By, the way, my son is now a happy, healthy 27 year old!

Thanks Chicory. It's so true that her mind is way ahead of her emotions and her coping skills. It's good to hear about your happy, healthy 27 year old!

Susan

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Zach wrote:Just don't let yourself become a bystander. Remain pro-active, no matter how painful it may seem. Another resource you may look into versus the ER is looking up human health services for your county. That's where my doctor referred me to when I finally decided I needed to talk to someone about a year and a half ago.

Thanks Zach. You are so kind to answer. It's really tempting to just run away and not deal with it. But we are so close that I could never do that. But I do need to stop feeling her pain. Learn to get some perspective... There is nothing harder than watching your own child suffer. Nothing. :cry:

Susan

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Thanks to all of you for the support. Sometimes life is just so hard. But we're getting help. And today was much better since her spring semester classes started today. She's pretty jazzed about her classes, and it will give her something to do that she enjoys. Plus she needs to do 30 hours of volunteer work during the semester for her sociology class. Hopefully that will help her get her mind off herself once in a while.

Meanwhile I'm trying to relax a bit and get the excess adrenaline out of my system. :shock:

Susan

ctravel12

stressed and distressed

Post by ctravel12 »

Hey Susan, I am glad that your daughter has her classes right now to occupy her mind and hope that it works good for her and you. I am so glad that you are sharing this with us and want you to know that we will always be there for you no matter what.

I have you and your family in my prayers everynight and just know it will work out good.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

You people are all so great. Things are calming down around here, for the time being, although I did have to do some "tough love" stuff with my daughter. I told her a couple times last week to schedule her dial-a-ride bus service to her college, and she "forgot." She hates making phone calls, so she just put it off. So she has no ride to classes tomorrow. I printed off the regular bus schedule (we have like 4 bus runs per day, and they don't go to the college!). She can hop a bus at 6:55 and get within half a mile of the college, and walk the rest of the way. Then she gets to wait for class. Hopefully that will inspire her to call and schedule her rides for now on. Sheesh. I feel like such a mean mom. :twisted: But she's almost 17, and she won't do her driver's education stuff, and I'm tired of being a bus service.

OK, done venting now. I had a great day, and remembered what it was like to not feel pathetically unhealthy. It was 25 degrees, and there are about 2 inches of snow on the ground (the rest of the country is getting all our snow!!!), and I though, hey, I used to love to cross country ski! That was back before kids, back surgeries, inner ear surgery at Mayo that left me with horrible chronic vertigo and led to a chain reaction of medications that made me gain weight, get depressed, get high blood pressure, get gastric bypass surgery... OK, the vertigo meds kept the RLS away for many years, but still.

So, we found my skis, boots, poles, and off I went to a local rail trail; put booties on my dog, and off I went. The first half a mile or so I figured I'd die of a heart attack and they'd find my cold body in the middle of the trail. And then: I FELT GREAT!!! All the frustration and depression of the last few weeks vanished. My lungs expanded, my heart was pumping. I remembered what it was like to actually enjoy life for a bit. I skied for about and hour and a half. My joints are complaining a bit, but what's Motrin for anyway.

And my daughter said, "I'd like to go skiing, mom..." That can be arranged. Just need to ebay her some boots.

Now, if I can just get myself out the door more often. And the rest of you who are stealing all our snow, please send it back to Minnesota. :wink:

Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

God it was horrible yesterday, no plows and everyone trying to drive on nearly half a foot of snow, haha.

My friend has snowmobiles so we're gonna tear it up over here.

ctravel12

stressed and distressed

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Susan I really enjoy reading your posts. You are not being a mean mom. Showing her responsibility is a good thing to do. One day she will thank you for it.

As far as the snow, my sister lives in Colorado and it seems they are getting all of the snow, so I will tell her to send some your way :lol: They sure have had their snow for this year for sure.

There is nothing wrong with venting. Vent anytime you want as we will be here for you.

Believe me, I have done my fair share of venting and it feels good. It feels good to get it off of my chest :roll: :roll: :roll:

Have a good day and always good to hear from you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time