SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS...*Important*

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Kimberly

SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS...*Important*

Post by Kimberly »

Since being forced to retire from my career in 2003, I am currently at the end of a 3-plus year process of my claim for Social Security Disability benefits. I have also been dependent on Federal Benefits in the forms of what used to be called 'Welfare' for more than a year since depleating all of my savings.

As most Americans are aware, our Social Security system is and has been, on a downward path towards it's demise. For those of us who are disabled and dependent on the SSA system, whether it be for SSDI or SSI, there is greater cause for concern, as our legislators are rapidly moving towards passing laws that will permanently grant Social Security benefits to more than 12 million non-citizens (some figures are closer to 35 million) after only 18 months of full time work (as compared to 10 years required for American citizens)! Our Social Security system simply can not withstand this.

As a Disabled American citizen, I am actively involved in prevent the passage of such legislation. Recently, Congressman John Carter of Texas, introduced a bill that will prevent the granting of Social Security Benefits to all non-citizens. Please read what Congressman Carter has to say about SSA and why he is gravely concerned. I join him in that concern, because my life depends on it. The following link is to Congressman Carter's website. If you have any questions regarding this matter, please feel free to ask. For those interested, let's talk about what efforts we can make to prevent the loss of our benefits. My only request in any discussion is that you make every effort NOT to politicize the issue, or to discuss the situation in terms of racial issues. The issue is far too important to those with disabilities to be subjected to attempts to end the discussion.

http://carter.house.gov/blog/index.php/ ... tegorized/

Thank you!
Kimberly

ctravel12

social security benefits important

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Kimberly
Thank you for sharing this info with us. I read the info that you posted. Very interesting and so true.
Thanks again.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Thank you for bringing this up. My husband is on disability and I should be keeping better track of what is going on.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

As a moderator, I want to emphasize that this is not the place for political discussions. I hope every member here remembers that many people use this board and we do not all feel the same about anything, including this.

Informing us that this is an issue was great. Posting links is fine. Taking the debate offline and through private email is fine. If anyone wants to debate it openly, please be very careful in your posts and remember that respect is essential.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

ViewsAskew wrote:As a moderator, I want to emphasize that this is not the place for political discussions. I hope every member here remembers that many people use this board and we do not all feel the same about anything, including this.

Informing us that this is an issue was great. Posting links is fine. Taking the debate offline and through private email is fine. If anyone wants to debate it openly, please be very careful in your posts and remember that respect is essential.

Thank you Views. This issue is a critical one as we rapidly approach the time when Legislators will make life or death decisions for many of us who are currently, or will be, dependent on Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, as well as Federal benefits for our only source of income and medical care. While the source of the problem itself is a controversial one for some people, I would be surprised if there would be, among those who are dependent on federal funds, any need at all to 'debate', once informed of the gravity. Still, there may those who wish to stop the flow of information with controversial opinions and remarks. Thank you for reiterating the need to take such debate elsewhere. I'm not interested in debate, only to inform:

For those at risk, here are a few more links:

Trustees: Medicare, Social Security Funds Declined in Past Year
Tuesday, May 02, 2006

"WASHINGTON — The funds for Social Security and Medicare, the federal government's two largest entitlement programs, will go bust sooner than estimated just one year ago, reveals a report released on Monday.

The funding shortfalls come at no surprise with the trust fund for Social Security projected to be depleted in 2040 while Medicare will have no fund reserves left in 12 years. In last year's report, Social Security was projected to be depleted by 2041, one year later than projected now, and Medicare in 2020, two years later."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193781,00.html

TREA Senior Citizens League
Article on Freedom Of Information Act
against Social Security Administration
and link to released, pending Totalization Agreement
The effect Totalization Agreeement, if signed into law, will have on Social Security Trust Fund:

http://www.tscl.org/NewContent/102800.asp

Kimberly

ALERT

Post by Kimberly »

I would like to alert those who are keeping up to date with the Senate's attempt to pass a (comprehensive immigration reform) Bill that, it is said, will ultimiately destroy what's left of our Social Security. Next week, Senator Ted Kennedy, in conjunction with Senator McCain, is planning to introduce a new bill that is worse than S2611. As stated above, I post this alert as it applies to SOCIAL SECURITY, and do not wish to discuss or debate the amnesty/immigration issue. Unfortunately, however, it is the comprehensive immigration reform bill that contains changes that will affect all of us whose lives are dependent on SSI, SSD, Medicaid, Medicare, and other Federal Government bennies, like 'welfare'.

Please take the time to research, beyond the immigration 'issue', to see exactly how passage of this Bill will affect your Social Security benefits. If you are interested in preventing the loss of your only source of income, please send me a message if you would like to know who to write.