Best way to heal your back?

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Neco

Best way to heal your back?

Post by Neco »

I've still got sore spots from my seizure and right now I've got a nasty one driving me nutts. It seems to run from the neck down to about the center of my back.

I always have trouble finding a good position and the ones I do find comfortable always seems to be "less than optimal" for healing things up. I've been putting bengay on and using the heating pad. It's OK for some pain relief but I need to speed up the healing process I think.

I went to pick up a case of product yesterday and got a nasty surprise.. THe kind where a certain position or range of motion some nasty pain, especially when breathing in said position :roll:

Any tips would be nice.

ctravel12

best way to heal your back?

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Zach I am so sorry for what you are going through. My back bothers me now and then, but do not know if it is related to rls or not. Once I am up it is not too bad.

I know other members that have this problem will post you and give you good advise. Good luck and hope that you find relief.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Zach, see if you can get in to see a physical therapist. They can do miracles with things like that. I don't know what the law is in Wisconsin, but here in MN, we can go to a PT for a month without a doctor referral, and insurance has to pay.

Susan

Neco

Post by Neco »

That's a great idea.. Except for the part about insurance :o

becat

Post by becat »

Zach for a lower cost always call around and look for massage schools. You can catch a great deal with the schools.

I agree your muscles just got crunch I'm sure.
I hope your feeling better and the massage helps.
My thoughts are with you.
Lynne

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hi Zach

I've only just caught up on all your latests postings. I was shocked to see that you'd had such an horrific time last week and am so glad that you came out the other side of it in one piece.

IMO physio's are great if you've done a serious injury to your muscles/ligaments/tendons that will require ongoing treatment for repair over a longer period of time. Their treatment usually focuses on re-strenghthening that particular part of the body and involves a lot of "do it yourself at home" exercises.

On the other hand, if you can find someone who does Remedial Massage or Bowen Therapy you may be better off in that they're the ones doing all the work on your body.

By the sound of it your seizure cause some major "lock-up", knots in the muscles of your back, and possibly even a pinched nerve, all of which would probably benefit more from the "kneading pressure" of massage.

As Lynne said, do some research first though and find someone who has done accredited training in either Remedial or Bowen Therapy rather than going to a back-yard hack simply because they're cheaper. Hacks do more harm than good.

Massage can also incorporate the use of a blend of essential oils specifically tailored to aid in the healing process of your back. A bit of research into this side as well wouldn't hurt.

Sending you (((((hugs))))) from down under
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

One other thought I had as an offshoot to what Lynne said - might be trigger points (knotted or spasming muscles) caused by the fall. These hurt like the devil and can shoot pain from one part to another. I often get them in my shoulders, though my DH gets them in shoulders and lower back.

If you look up trigger point therapy, you'll find some basic info. It can easily be done by a non-trained person (well, they need a little info, duh!). I bought a book on it and we have been using it for about three years - it helps tremendously.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Also, this is gonna sound dumb and basic but there are stretching exercises you can do that will make your back heal much quicker.
I have lots of lower back strain problems, muscle spasms and such. I used to just lay there, when my back "went out"...lay around on the floor and wait, and wait. A physical therapist showed me some stretches to do, and now my back is good again after only a few days instead of 6 or 7.
Matter of fact, a few months ago I went ahead and took a weeks vacation when my back went out, thinking I'd need the whole thing but in two days I was back to normal.

Of course this probably isn't going to work as well, or at all if you have disc problems or spinal, nerve...etc. stuff. But for muscle strains it's very good. I have had disc problems in the middle of my back, thorassic region...something like that...and nothing will help 'cept time. And it's bad.

I don't know if you could look this stuff up or not, or if this is even your problem...just throwing out stuff that's helped me.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

After my back surgery, my surgeon told me not to stretch my back at all. Probably because I have all those screws---don't want them to shift. There are stretching exercises you can do, though. But, you'd need to find out what those are from a physical therapist, I'm sure. If you have disc problems, you don't want to make anything worse.

I think Lynne's idea is great. I'd check that out, if I were you. Good luck! Back pain is not fun!!!!!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.