Let's get together

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Rubyslipper

Let's get together

Post by Rubyslipper »

A few of us have been kicking around the idea of meeting in June and so I'm asking for help in getting this together. Right now the target date is the end of June, either the 23-24 or June 30/July 1. What would work for most of those that want to try this? Two meeting places have been suggested also; Chicago and St. Louis. If I could get an idea of who, when and where, then we could start making definite plans. I know these dates won't suit everyone but it's a start. So if you are interested at all let me hear back from you. There are so many friends I have met here. For some, it would be meeting again, for others it would be a first. If only 2-3 can make it, that's okay too. I want to see my "family" this year and since there won't be a National Meeting, we'll just make our own!
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Since I live in Chicago, the end of June date would be a great one from a tourist perspective. But, it's also close to the 4th of July, so some people may not want to travel then as it might affect their 4th vacation plans.

In Millenium Park, that weekend is the start of Taste of Chicago, a huge festival with some of the vendors of Chicago's great food, all set up in the park, selling smaller portions of their most famous food. The park is beautiful and there is also lots of music from different bands.

As of now, I have no plans either date, but being self-employed, I never know what's going to happen.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

mikeyvon

see ya'll

Post by mikeyvon »

Hi ruby and Ann

I'll try my best to make it when and wherever you plan to have it. It sure would be great to see some of the new people on the board in addition to all the ones I met in Long Beach. I'm thinking positive thoughts for both of you. And Ruby, I hope ya get some relief soon from all the bad stuff that's annoying you.

Love ya , Mike

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Mike, it's sooo good to hear from you. That alone makes me feel better.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Let me know when and where. Of course, since I'm really close to Chicago I'm voting Chicago, but if that means a longer trip for everyone else, I'm ready to drive to Missourri too.

Just let me know.

In the meantime, I GOTTA LOSE SOME WEIGHT! Holy cow am I getting to be a PORKER! Winter gets rougher and rougher every year.

HI MIKEY!

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Yeah, that's what you said last time before we met. And who looks like a demented, fat dwarf in the picture? It sure ain't you, buddy! Maybe everyone should come to the farm, it's always exciting! Right now, the neighbor's bull and our bull are having a "who's the man" bawling contest across the road from each other. You won't see that in Chicago!

becat

Post by becat »

This is a trick, a set up for sure, Ruby is trying to get us to the farm.....because something is being born or something crazier than moooing going on.

hmmmmm Will I have to wear a full body armor for this trip?

And Demented fat dwarfs?????? Those aren't in the Wizard of OZ! Your certainly demented (one reason I love you :D )

Mike, Yeah someone got him to post again. Mike it's a record year for you, bro! Good to see you here my dear Sir.

Wam, my other brother from another mother........We had a winter in Texas for the first time in years.....I can't even begin to think what it was like for you. Brrrrr.

BTW, love the grandbaby story....bribes work for me too! When I have grandkids, they will have the world if they ask. I'll wait for my time.

Ya'll let me know when and where. I'm good with the dates, as long as I don't have a Marine at home.

Hugs Lynne

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

count me in dang I could use a trip and to see ya all would be a blessing for me. I am doing pretty good with my painting business right now so ya let me know where and when as soon as possible. I am ready to pack my car and head out to just about anywhere right now ~~~~~~~Lyndarae

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi youall

I would LOVE to meet everyone, but I can't go to Chicago. I know I live in Illinois, but it's SOUTHERN Illinois and Chicago is at least 5 hours south. After the wedding and our trip to San Diego this weekend, no $$$ for plane ticket (and driving to Chicago for me is out of the question), St. Louis it is for me. But, if that won't work for the majority, that's fine.

But, sounds like Chicago is closer for you guys, so you all will just have to let me know how it turns out. LOL If it's there, I'll be there in spirit.

Love to all
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That's the problem for where ever we choose, isn't it? Someone has to fly or drive - and we all know how much we like that!!!!!! Now that I have pretty good control, flying isn't too bad. But, for some reason, driving is still nasty for me on longer trips. Like you, Jan, it's not in my budget to fly, but driving to Saint Louis seems daunting. Maybe if I drive an hour or so at a time then walk in a pretty park for 1/2 hour, lol.

I have no idea of what flights cost to either place. Since Chicago is a hub, it might be cheaper for people to fly there. But probably not cheaper to stay, which could offset it.

I guess the first question should be, who wants to come? Then we can find out who would prefer where. Who knows? Maybe people would prefer Peoria :wink:

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I've really been weighing the options and for me I'm afraid Chicago is out. It would take two days vacation for the driving time and my vacation time is already shot because I had to borrow vacation time from this year for surgeries last year. I'm like Jan, flying is out for money reasons. It seems we're pretty much split on where to go. Anyone have any suggestions? Chime in on whether you will be able to go and your preference on cities. If I can't make it, I'll be like Jan. Besides, I have unlimited long-distance; you can just carry a phone around and pretend I'm there talking to you instead of here talking to you!

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Besides, I have unlimited long-distance; you can just carry a phone around and pretend I'm there talking to you instead of here talking to you!

:lol: Same here, Ruby.

Hey WAM, you think YOU need to lose weight?! OMG! You see see me!!!

Well, you guys have a good day.....

Hugs
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So, if I am hearing everyone, it sounds like the following people are interested:

Ruby
Jan
Lynne
Randy
Charlene (prior post)
Mike
Lyndarae
Ann

Anyone else, please chime in!

Two are in St Louis area, two in Chicago area, everyone else is scattered - Texas, Arizona, PA, etc. It sounds like aMike, Charlene and Lyndarae can handle the travel arrangements - Lynne? I don't think you've said, but I am guessing you can. Jan and Ruby would have a hard time doing so. Randy? What about you? For me, it entirely depends on my work load. If I'm slow, it will be easier, but I'll have less funds to do so. If I'm busy, I'll have a hard time getting away.

Given that Randy will travel and the others also can travel, having it in Saint Louis makes the most sense because then only I would have difficulty.

Managing Your RLS

dellkr

Post by dellkr »

I just got back from my first trip to Chicago for a conference and I had a BLAST!!! I talked my boys into going there for at least a weekend over the summer to see the aquarium and whatever else struck their fancy! So we might be able to swing end of June/first week in July. Much further into the summer and it cuts into soccer camps.

Kim

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Because I don't really have what I would consider SEVERE RLS, most of the time...I can usually drive or ride with not too much problem. I really feel for you that do have RLS so bad you can't travel. Ann, I sure hope if it's not in Chicago, you can still do it. As well as everyone else.

Are we talking about a one day event on the weekend? I would be willing to drive five or six hours...something like that. Not too much more for a weekend trip.

But yeah, CHICAGO sounds great (of course) but St. Louis or anywhere in between is ok with me. And I already talked to Tami and she's ready too. We haven't gotten away for awhile anyway.