Big Ugly Insect Bite

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
SquirmingSusan

Big Ugly Insect Bite

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I've had this big, itchy bite since coming home from Atlanta almost 2 months ago. I'm pretty sure I got it there, since I was outside a lot, wandering through the woods.

The thing just won't go away! The whole thing is 2-3" in diameter. There are tiny little bite marks in the middle, just one pair about 1/16th inch apart. It's very itchy and surrounded by bruises.

It hasn't gotten better and it hasn't gotten worse.

Do any of you have a clue what bit me? And what to do about it?

Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Susan! Go to the doctor!!!!

OK, maybe I'm being melodramatic, but this could be something that you need to have checked out. Maybe not, but. . .in my book anything that lasts that long and has no known cause is suspect - especially with the bruising around it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

KBear

Post by KBear »

I agree- go to the doctor!

I had a bad bite like that once, large and itchy but not with bruising too. Could be a spider bite. If it's a Brown Recluse bite you will need medical treatment.

Let us know what they say, and don't wait for an appointment go to the walk in clinic.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

I agree with the prognosis. Go to the Doctor.
Now.
Go on.
We'll wait here.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

OK, OK, I'll try to go tomorrow. 8) I figure that after 8 weeks it's not an emergency. I don't have a fever, I haven't had any major allergic reaction, the thing just itches and looks bad.

Now I need to figure out where the nearest walk-in clinic is. I'm pretty sure it's a spider bite - what else has 2 tiny little punctures close together. But it's certainly not a brown recluse bit. Those get really nasty really fast. My skin would have rotted off weeks ago. :|

Going to another doctor is the last thing on my list of what I want to do. But I will. Promise.

Susan

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Hey Squirmy...didja go see the Doc about the BugBite?

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

My bad. I had every intention of going to the doc last Friday. But then my son work me up to ask me to call him in sick for school. Then I woke up at noon equally sick with a fever, sore throat, cough, etc. Didn't get out of bed all day.

But I did scratch the heck out of the thing until all the little bite marks started to bleed. And by the next day the bruises started to fade. And now they're completely gone. Just a few itchy scabs left. There must have been some venom in there that came out when I made it bleed.

Weird.

Squirmy