P;ay Time

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Seems we've had this music debate before. . . Most of us have some weird ties to the music we listened to as high-schoolers and in college.
Even if it was pop or rock drivel. I have a few albums (yes, albums) that I wouldn't want many people to see.

Van Halen - not a chick band. A long-ago boyfriend LOVED them, primarily because he loved Eddie's guitar playing. I give anyone that -
he is an excellent guitarist. No other comments from me about Van Halen beyond that, however.

Randy, as someone who says he can't "get" jazz, not sure you should be throwing stones about others musical choices :P .
Jazz, by many, is considered the ultimate in musical expression. Takes unbelievable skills to be a good jazz musician.
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Oh brother. Not the "you don't know anything about music if you don't like Jazz" speech. Jazz snob alert Jazz snob alert.

Phooey. Everybody knows classical music is the utlimate musical expression. :P

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Nah - classical doesn't require improvisation; my guess is that most classically trained musicians don't even write, rather simply play their instrument beautifully (unless they are a composer). Indeed, it does require lot of practice and lots of experience to get classical right But you don't have to "know" as much in the same way as with jazz.

Of course, I never said I agreed with what "they" say, just that they say it :wink:

Not that it means much, but my grandmother was classically trained - Northwestern (she got a Masters in the early 1900's - very forward for a woman!). My grandfather played trumpet in a jazz band while he worked his way through the Art Institute.

Since they babysat me about 4 days a week, I grew up listening to all kinds of music. I think I heard my first Joe Cocker album at their house (granted, it was a mistake and they didn't like it, but nonetheless). My parents still listened to rock and roll until I was about ten (then they switched to country). I don't remember much from my weekly piano, clarinet, and theory lessons - I do sort of recall that it was a heck of a lot harder to play jazz and improvise than to follow what Beethoven already wrote, though.

But, we digress. Since you don't like some of the mentioned bands, who were the top ten bands/groups on your record player (or 8-track) in the 1970's?
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Bad music and failure to recognize good music are two distinct things...haha..

I don' get jazz either.. I think I have one jazz-style song out of everything.

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

WAM...I won a Gold Medal at state for singing Classical....IN ITALIAN!!!! so's all good....

BUT!

ACDC, Maiden, Ozzy, Sabbath, Skynyrd, Zepplin....oooooooooo take me back to ole Virginnie! (whooops dats a real old one)....ah the good ole days..................

**penguin slowly slipping away down memory lane***
Beware the Penguin

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

What can I say.. I am such a pleb when it comes to music, love everything, (except jazz) I can't sing a note.. really bad sound, but can dance with the best of them. Really get carried away with Mavericks, Eagles, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Elvis (oc course, went to Gracelands a year ago - from N.Ireland), Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Rat Pack, you name it!! I suppose Country Music and Swing are the bottom line.

KBear

Post by KBear »

Penguin- You hit most of the big metal bands from the 70's but you missed the "BEST" one. PINK FLOYD!

Wish You Were Here
Run Like Hell
Comfortably Numb
Shine on . . .

Some of the best metal music of all time!
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Forgot to say my daughter-in-law has her doctorate in music and plays the orchestral oboe, she is also a music teacher). Oh.. how she must suffer

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

sorry Kathy

I'm usually comfortably numb anyway....

ROFL!!!!!

sorry for the oversight...left out a lot...Alice Cooper..the Nuge....
Beware the Penguin

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

aaaaaaakkkkkk

forgot Judas Priest!
Beware the Penguin

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

ViewsAskew wrote: I don't remember much from my weekly piano, clarinet, and theory lessons - I do sort of recall that it was a heck of a lot harder to play jazz and improvise than to follow what Beethoven already wrote, though.

But, we digress. Since you don't like some of the mentioned bands, who were the top ten bands/groups on your record player (or 8-track) in the 1970's?

Ann...impressive about the weekly clarinet, piano and theory lesson. Do you still play?

Top Ten in the late 70's for me...

Bob Dylan and lots of him
Neil Young and lots of him
Warren Zevon always
Willie Nelson before he got boring
Linda Ronstadt before she got old always liked her harmonies
Frank Zappa for the fun of it
Eagles before their wimpy stuff
Bruce Springsteen before "Born In The USA" commercial crap
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones

...as best as I can remember

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

hey WAM?

eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

penguin
Beware the Penguin

becat

Post by becat »

The Osmonds.
Jackson Five
The Beach Boys

Kansas
Foghat, BTO,
Chicago
Gladys Knight and the Pips
Marvin Gaye
Donna Summers

Of course, Skynyrd
Eagels
Elton John
Jame Taylor (always)

The Doobie Brothers

Elvis, awwwwww

Lynne

Ps, Penguin, my Dear, I drove my mother insane the summer of 82' with The Wall.......
:D :D

Neco

Post by Neco »

I drove my dad insane with "rap crap"

Do I win ?

becat

Post by becat »

yeah should have mentioned, that my kids have won.......doing the dame dagggg ggggggguuuuummmm thing with that rap crap.

Maybe you do win this one, Zach?!!!!! LOL LOLL LOL