LYNNE RE SURGERY TODAY

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Must be heaven to be home, especially vindicated as you are. I remember spending ten days in for one of the most horrific hospital experiences of my life. Home, home, getting home felt so wonderful.

I'm guessing you can't do stairs - seems I remember my aunt saying that she wasn't allowed to do them for ages. How are you doing at home? Since hubby is so wonderful at the hospital, I imagine he's just as wonderful at home, but the set up can be problematic. Hope you enjoy a full nights sleep and soon.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

becat

Post by becat »

Yes, Home is Heaven. In many ways it's just having my own stuff, my furry family members, and some of my own routine that makes this all worth it.

Vendication is a great way to explain my thoughts and feelings. Seems there was something wrong all along. Who Knew? LOL

The OBGYN has asked that I write a review for her. Silly woman, she passed this off as nothing 3 times, but I will be kind. Mostly about what we experienced in the hospital and how our non Pharm ideas helped us out. Speaking of that, KBear, my soap did nothing for the muscle pain I had, hoping it would, but will have to stick with the cramps and strains, as things it does work for.
It should be fun to wrtie and honestly, some she will really need to know.

Poor hubby is as tired as I am. The recliner in the room did not work that well and his sleep got robbed more than once. He was great though, I'd never try anything like this without him. Being home means he's already snuck up to the office to start getting caught up, but Mom is here and there is no better baby sitter for sure. :D Plus I get all my favorite meals, cause that is what mommas do when thier kiddos feel badly. She will stay til next weekend, as Bruce is going out of town.

I simply have to learn that I am healing and must not do certain things. No easy lesson for sure.

Love to all
Lynne

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

are you still hugging me?
Beware the Penguin

becat

Post by becat »

Can you still feel it?

yes, There have been many times he (my sweet Flip) fits right into my neck where my head does not meet the pillow. Still sleeping in a funky position. So, yes, Flip is the man.

It makes me smile and cry at the same time.

How lucky can one girl get?

Very!

Love ya
Lynne

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

Flip! I love that!!!! nice name....

I love you so much Lynne...

some times, i can't say it all...but you know my heart...just like everyone here should know my heart....

you all are in it....

Penguin
Beware the Penguin

becat

Post by becat »

This is my update for Nov. 6, 2007

Ya'll might know that my Oct 4th appt with my doc went really well. I felt like I had someone I could trust, that undrstood my whole RLS thing, just the person I had prayed for. Yeah.

Not to mention that it was the 3 wk mark after my surgery and I was doign awesome, including I had never bleed at all. I got to gt rid of some of the bigger meds I was on, I know should have taken them for the rest alone, but she's not that kind of doc to do such a thing. I was given permission to start my walks, a mile at most, but it was a great thing for my legs, lower back, and getting ready for my dream trip to London. Best yet, I left feeling more bonded to this doc and trust was building for all the right reasons. next appt. in one month.

Most of you know, I think, that 3 days later I took a direct kick to "that" whole area while on my first real outing, from a child, but a child near my own size. Yes, I hit the floor, nor my husband or her mother saw what happened. I knew right there and then I was injured. And without all the gore, it was showing me and proving that an injury had happened. :shock: The pain went up by a good measure. I was heartbroken, because I needed to be healing, and I was broken, it just broken.

My doc has Mondays off, which I spent with a fever 101.7 was the average and chills. I called first thing Tues a.m., explain very carefully what happened, what had changed (mostly bleeding and pain level), and begged for a call from the doc, herself.

The response I got was (I kid you not) from the asst to my doc "we're not giving you more meds.!" Ok, what about the imjury, surely that was going to be addressed. Nope, for a month, every week I called, more than once.
I got two calls, one saying "you should be fine" from the asst. and one message from the asst saying call me.

My appt last week I was so worked up before it that my husband went with me and he spoke most of the time, so that I didn't have to regret saying something badly. 8)

For those that don't know, I'm bad, I smoke. I know it's horrible, but that is what it is.
Why does that need to be said, well I heard that smoking slows down the healing process about 50 times during my first "gotta look to see how I'm healing" appt......see, most of the stitches were still there, and I did have an open spot where there should have not been one. It was said so often that my husband shot back everytime with "or being kicked!"
About the no response to my repeated calls, I got this:
"we've had staff issues with this and changes have had to be made. I did call, here look at my notes to prove I did." that was about it. No remorse, no I'm sorry for this not being handled right, nothing.

It was like she just didn't want to hear it. I was mad, and blown away at the negligence of it all. She ended up treating the opening with whatever and ordered Ct scans. Made an appt for today for the results and more of the whatever medication inside.

I came out of there knowing that I was someone that she could care less for.

Today, no results from the CT scans, hmmmm, "I'll have ....asst call about that." And all of the sudden I was healing well again. I looked good! Uhmmm any RLSer that does not sleep (woman) can cover a ton of stuff with hair and the right make up, get real.
So I did what I should not have done, but was needed. I told her I was really shocked at how this had been handled. She rold me that I should have gone to the ER. I shot back , "why? I had a surgeon I was paying to attend to my needs, even the post op parts. I had no reason to think that you would not have called or insisted that I come in."
Then I really got bad, "for lack of a better term, because I have not slept in a while........I think your actions have not been proper for this type of surgery and I think your in cover you own A** mode!" I know that was bad, but good gosh I was trying hard to get right between us and she could have cared less.

She offered to find me another doc! hmmmmmmm I said no, if the ct shows a problem, she was the only one that knew what happened during surgery and she would be the only one able to see the problems if I had to go back in.

Here's the kicker, she said that I would have a hard time finding a doc that would work with me because I "use" so many meds, some being narcotics.

Oh, Ok, this looks like I'm fighing for drugs. I know this feeling, heard it before, felt like a druggy when docs say that.......Like I want this for a lifestyle.

It's ok, I said " this is the sad part about my life and those in my RLS community. Too many docs are woefully uneducated about RLS and just have no clue or no need to learn about this condition. It's a crying shame that you could take 30 minutes to be more uneducted and won't do it. It's harmful to my community and most docs never blink at that. I'm no drug seeker, wish I never had to touch the stuff, but what looks bad to you, keeps my life somewhat normal. See, I have a genetic neurological condition, that is real. It's a da** shame that most of the medical community forgets that I'm not a chart, a test result, or a 15 minute appt. I'm a real human that is just trying to live with my RLS and other health problems bring great damage to my body, but uneducated medical professinals hurt me most often with thier assumtions (sp?), not knowledge."

I know ya'll need a snack or a good walk after reading all this, but I see this happen to too many of us and I'm toeked off! This has just been wrong and all along I guess she thought I was drug seeking, not really injured. Great!

Sorry ya'll had to get it out of my system, can't let that rot inside me.
This has to change. No if's about it, change must happen on a great scale!

Lynne

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

well, I for one didnt need a snack or a walk but a smoke!!!!! And I am having one. But I believe the smoke is comming out my ears I am so mad at those people how dare they treat my sister that way GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! I pray to GOD I see this kind of treatment to us rlsers STOP before I leave this earth. I really would not wish this on anyone but at times like this******** I THINK IT I am so sorry girlfriend you had to be put through that disrespect, you dont deserve it. I could scream right along with you. Idiots the whole lot of them. There just are not enough words that I can use here to say what I really feel. I love ya kid, and feel your pain and anger. KARMA is a b**** and believe me it all comes back around in one way or the other, keep your beautiful chin up and forget those fools, everyone here knows and loves you, and it's their loss that they don't know who they are dealing with~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

<mouth hanging open>

I truly cannot fathom this. If I remember correctly, the last RLS conference we were at, one of the docs - may have been yours, Lynne - said that all of these drugs laws are for about 6 or 7% of the population, making the remaining 93% of us suffer because of it.

Maybe, just maybe, she feels a bit of remorse. But, probably not. At least you know her true colors. I wish there was a way we could all find that out before hand so you wouldn't have had to go through this - or any of us.

<big sigh>

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Ugh. We were just discussing this in another post, about how we could support each other by writing letters to offending (and offensive) doctors. Send me this babe's name and addy and I'll put my poison pen into action. :twisted:

Oh, and be sure and go to that website where you can rate doctors. Here it is: http://www.ratemds.com
Susan

red56

Post by red56 »

I just have to pipe in about doctors here. My personal physician actually knows about RLS - not enough, but she did take the Mayo Clinic article and has been okay with giving me Mirapex and Tramadol. But, I've been complaining to her about pain all over for about 10 years. I'd finally had it and told her where it hurts, constantly, and the light bulb comes on and says ' you have fibromyalgia'. Well, duh.

so I go to a rheumatologist who is great about fibro, we're trying Lyrica, and he tries to put me on an anti-depressant that I got off on on purpose because it makes RLS worse. I tell him that, and he says, 'what's RLS?'

Please!!! One doctor doesn't diagnose fibro for ten years of complaining and the other doesn't know about RLS!!!

Where are they training doctors these days?

ARRRGGGHHH. :shock:

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

L, Damned sorry you are having such a rough go with both your condition and your "conditioners." What I would do. Call a lawyer for advice. Legal aid or something like that if $$ are an issue and with lawyers they always are. Usually the first time advice is free anyway. Now, I am not suggesting a law suit or anything like that although..... What I would do is ask them to review the events as you have described them and draft an appropriate but hopefully scathing compaint to your doctor, the appropriate medical boards or licensing agencies, or whomever the lawyer (he/she should know) says are usually notified with such compaints. Anyway, at a minimum, that is what I would do.

I am truly sympathetic with your good nature, your good will, and your desire for continuity of medical care. But, and excuse me for being blunt, I just don't get it. Your post outlines a situation(s) where serious health issues seem to have been ignored. I'm sorry but to heck with the good nature, good will, and continutiy of services. I also come from a smaller community where doctors, I should say good doctors, are a scarce commodity (not sure I mean the persons are a commodity but just the profession). So, I, again, am sympathetic with your situation. But, I am outraged for you and maybe benignly at you. How many times do we talk about "advocating" for ourselves? Is there a better time or better example than this. I am sorry for the flavor of my comments as they are out of character but, again, I am outraged. I appreciate all the kind words your other friends from the forum have offered you as they are appropriately well meaning and deserving. While I send those along also and realize I have not walked a mile in your shoes I'm sorry but don't take that ...t any longer.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

Living in a small town I can tell you I think its harder to get a Dr to prescribe narcotic pain meds. I think when Drs are checked for the amount of prescriptions they write for narcotic pain meds, the ratio can look really outragious in a small Drs office. We had a Dr in our town that lost his medical license because they thought he was prescribing to many pain meds.

I hate defending Drs because like most of you I too have been looked at like I was nuts when trying to explain my leg problems over the years.

But it is very true that Drs are afraid of losing their license and that is why they are soooo careful about pain meds. Hopefully one day that will become a non issue, but for now, its a very big issue. This DR was a soft touch for pain meds and everyone in town knew it. I was afraid to go to him. *L* because I was afraid I would get caught in the legal end of the mess. He was rephrended(sp) once and then a couple years later, they pulled his license. How do I know all this? There was an article in our local weekly paper about why he was leaving our community.

That is why I try so very hard to stay with the amount of pills first given me, even tho I end up some night suffering, If I ask for more, will that sound or seem like a red flag to my Dr that I am seeking drugs? I certainly do not wish for that to ever happen, because pain meds are what control my RLS, and I NEVER want to go back to walking the floor every night. So instead I just try to make do, so I will not lose my prescription. I know it does not seem fair, but for me its better than taking a chance of having NO meds for my rls. I know everyone is different, this is just how I handle being on pain meds.

becat

Post by becat »

I thank you all for your replies, as I am confuses like Heck about the whole thing.

Mark, I like the blunt stuff, no problems there. I know I should have gone to the ER at some point, but my injury that she repaired is likely the issue and she would bethe only one that would know what was not right after she had repaired everything, but you all may be right in, to little too late, it's just another injury now.

The fact that she has cut my meds and brought it up as an issue really bugged me. The visit just before the surgery she explained that she would cover me totally.....as she had one patient that needed meds for 9 months.....so now my meds are an issue?

I hate it that I have a REAL darn good reason to be on almost the same meds I had post op., right now and it's so mind blowing to me that because she messed up I've been cut to less that what my EXPERT DOC was giving me just for my legs. Insane at best.

I think she knows she really messed up and is in no way going to do anything but cover her own butt now.
Today as of 3:20 I still have not heard from her about my CT scans. This tells me tons.

Mark about the lawyer, money is not the issue, I am the issue. I see so many stupid law suits that I have always just felt like it's a bad idea. Knowing how lawyers treat the victim is so scary to me that I would just crumble and cry, but :D , then I could fight to the death. However, it's almost taboo (like going to doctors) in my family. So it's inbreed, but this was wrong all around , just wrong!

Someone has to stand up for us, this foundation needs to have something written by our experts that explains to other docs, pharmacies, whoever, that our meds are legal, they fall within a regulated guideline, and in no way should be seen as drug seeking.

I know about those small towns, grew up in a couple of them. But good health, responsible healthcare is just hard to find. Most docs don't care, Ann, she does not at this point. Her partner in the practice was her second in my surgery.........maybe I should call her!

Thanks ya'll I need clear thiking minds to help me figure this out.
I do ask that everyone pray that my RLS doc covers me well for my dream trip. I dont' see it being doable at this point, but there is no turning back. From the pain I'm getting I think the hernia she found is opened and all I need is some time to get through the trip and then looks like DEC. will be a Heck of a month.

Love to you all for you support, wise words, and support.
Love Lynne

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sometimes life just isn't fair. I know this sounds mean, but I so wish I could do the Vulcan Mind Meld thing to take uncaring and inconsiderate people to a mental/emotional place that would "show" them how badly their actions hurt others. I wish that there was some way to help people like this to "get" it - but I can't say i know of one. Maybe that's why some people use lawyers - if they can't get an emotional apology, at least they'll exact a financial one.

I will keep you in my thoughts - that you find a way to heal and get to go on your dream trip and enjoy it. You deserve it.

Managing Your RLS

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

L, I am so glad to hear the good news and that your recovery is going well. Your words have a ring of strength and optimism. How lucky you are to have such a devoted husband to be there with you. Rest and continue to heal, my friend.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.