CONSUMER REPORTS BAD PRESS -- WE NEED YOUR HELP!

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Better late than never...but I sent the email just now.

Wasn't sure about it at first, but after watching the jamie hirsh report a few times...kinda makes you mad don't it?

Sojourner

Response from CR

Post by Sojourner »

Just thought I would post the response I received from CR:

Thank you for contacting us to share your feelings regarding the Consumer
Reports AdWatch video on Requip. We take the comments that we receive
quite seriously as we allow them to shape all of the work that we do.

First, while we appreciate the points you make, we believe that the video
clearly does not make light of RLS or at anyone who suffers from the
problem. As the video and accompanying introduction both note, RLS is a
real condition that afflicts some 3% of Americans. We have great sympathy
for all who suffer from this syndrome and other chronic diseases, and agree
that many people get relief from prescription drugs.

The point of the video has to do instead with the marketing of this
product, and of the disease. We feel, and say in the video, that the ad's
description of RLS is so vague that almost anyone might come away wondering
whether they have it. We feel that the drug's side effects include some
that can in fact be troubling. And we try to point out how the ad, in our
opinion, manages to downplay these problems through the use of a gentle
soundtrack and relaxing imagery while listing them.

We also feel that by focusing solely on a pharmaceutical remedy, the ad
overlooks various non-medicinal treatments that are probably worth
considering in evaluating a proper therapy.

All of the above are important points, and we think they come through
plainly to viewers - an impression that is backed up by the many favorable
comments about the video that have appeared on our weblog and on others
that follow this industry.
We don't hope to change your mind about this point, but we do want to make
clear that projects like AdWatch are part of the mission of an independent,
non-ad-supported, consumer organization like Consumers Union, the publisher
of Consumer Reports. Direct-to-consumer (DTC) drug ads have become
increasingly common on TV, in magazines and newspapers, and on the Web. It
is the responsibility of groups like Consumers Union to provide
counter-perspective where we believe it could be valuable, and this is one
of those instances.

Thanks again for taking the time to write. Your interest in our work is
greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Patrick Burns
Customer Relations Representative

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

KBear

Post by KBear »

I received the EXACT same response.
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Here is what I sent to CR:

I am a sufferer of RLS (“impressive initials to make it sound official”). I do not find my condition “entertaining” or “fun”. It is a horrible disorder that, yes, is a mystery. “The real mystery? What the heck is restless legs syndrome anyway?” Why didn’t you take the time to research it if you didn’t know what it was? How could you write and produce a piece, present it to viewers, and make fun of it when you had not a clue as to what it is? Your entire video proves that you have not researched your subject matter.

Consumer reports has always been where I look to for honest, accurate evaluations of a product. No longer. I have read the stock reply you are sending to people who are upset with your sarcastic, biased view of RLS. I am sure that if I receive a reply back, it will be the same stock answer.

If you take all comments received seriously, then your letter shows that you still have no regard for people with RLS. Look back at the quotes from the video: “Oooh, a mystery. Sounds serious. The real mystery? What the heck is restless leg syndrome?” “Aaah, the use of impressive initials. RLS sounds official, doesn’t it?” “Geez, the side effects are starting to sound worse that the symptoms.” Read these again, then try to honestly tell me that the video isn’t making light of RLS.

As to the marketing of this product; show me any ad for medications on television or in magazines that don’t do the same as the ads for Restless Legs Syndrome. As for side effects, how about the ads for erectile dysfunction? Pretty uncomfortable sounding to me, and I’m female.

So this video was backed up by many favorable comments. How do those compare with the unfavorable ones? What about all the RLS sufferers? Even at 3% ( a very low estimate) that is a lot of people that you have insulted with your “all in fun” video. We have a serious disorder. Do you make fun of people with headaches or backaches? These cannot be detected any more readily than RLS, yet you leave them and their drug ads alone. Probably because you have suffered from one or the other. Does the medication you take always work? Have you done a slam on those ads?

This video is beneath you and the standards that Consumer Reports has always stood for. If you continue to stand behind the message you are sending out, then your standards fall even further. It is obvious by the stock answer being sent out that you care more for your stand than you do for the people who suffer from RLS. What a pity. Consumer Reports has decided that what it prints is more important than the facts.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I just received a failure notice on my email to CR. I'm sure I missed what to do next if that happens. It sounds like several people have had the same experience.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

KBear

Post by KBear »

Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Thanks, I'll try that next.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Excellent letter, Rubyslipper!
Susan

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Thank you! Now let's see if they do anything other than the stock answer back!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wonderful reply, Ruby. Hope you can get it through and soon.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

My original email was returned, as well. I have now used the link you suggested, Susan. This is what I sent CR.

I am a life-long sufferer of RLS (restless leg syndrome). I just viewed the video hosted by Jamie Hirsch regarding the recent ads for Requip, a drug that has been approved for treatment of RLS. I was appalled at the scarcasm displayed in the "report." RLS is not funny, it is a a very real, very debilitationg disorder for which there is no cure. It affects millions of people, from small children to older adults and seriously interferes with the qualify of life of these people.
Because RLS affects sleep, and some people go for years with 3 hours sleep a night (or less) (NO JOKE!!!), the overall health of these people is affected greatly.

I am 60 years old and my condition has worsened drastically since I was diagnosed in my early 30's. I had major back surgery last year (spinal fusion T6 through T12) which caused my RLS to get worse. Even on medication, I cannot sit through a movie, ride for long periods of time in a car or airplane, and I never stay asleep at night for more than 3 hours consecutively, causing me to be extremely tired all of the time. My body is less resistant to colds, flu, or other problems because I never get enough rest. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the message.

If you must talk about drugs and the way they are advertised, please treat the disease and the victims of that disease with respect. I doubt if you would laugh at an advertisement about diabetes. Consumer Reports, in my mind, has always been a well respected source for information on all kinds of products. However, I now have much less respect for your publication.
No one is alone who had friends.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

I sent two...one to the email address and one to this...

http://custhelp.consumerreports.org/cgi ... er/ask.php

Got one response that it was an unknown address and that's it. No other response.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wonderful letter, too, Jan.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I just sent mine today and really don't expect any answer. The one address was returned but the other went through. I think that by now they know that they were in the wrong but will never admit it. I'd like to know how many responses they received from irate people since they said they had so many positive responses. If anyone finds any other avenues to send emails, etc. please let me know.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Can I get on the Honor Roll now, can I, can I? Honestly I think its a great idea and the whole idea of getting all of us behind this is awesome.