Ouch

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Walking After Midnight

Ouch

Post by Walking After Midnight »

I've had a sharp pain in a one square inch area of the back of my head right between my ears but to the left, for like three weeks now.
Sometimes I'll go half a day without it bothering me, but it eventually shows up.
I don't think it's a migraine, Imitrex wouldn't touch it and (one of my wife's) Vicodin made it go away which is unusual because usually Vicodin won't fix my migraines but will actually make them much worse. (deep breath)

Anyhoo.
I'm wondering if it's from Lyrica, or Klonopin?
Think?
Anyone?

I see my Neurologist tomorrow finally. So maybe he has an answer.
I was just curious if anyone has had this problem and if it's from medication.

Deep Arnold Schwarzeneger voice...
"It's not a TUMA."

[/url][/code]

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Well I hope it's "not a tuma"!!! Hopefully the neuro will have a clue. I don't know about Lyrica, but neurontin has been known to cause headaches.

Let us know what the doc says, hey!
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yes, please give us a full report after the visit.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

WAM, I had some initial headaches with neurontn but they were more aking to sinus type headaches. Again, getting it checked out is a good idea. Best wishes.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

Walking After Midnight

My Dr. says the "only thing back there is muscle" so it has to be muscle something or another.
Strain or stress.

I don't know. He was real dismissive about it.
I love when you have a problem, relate it to your Doctor and he acts like it's no big deal. He didn't say what to do to relieve it. Just shrugged his shoulders..."Well, the only thing back there is muscle."

I'm having some serious issues lately with him. I'm gonna look around, but am not holding my breath about finding a good one.

Apparently, it seems to me anyway, that he's getting kind of suspicious of my leg and foot pain. It's going to be hard to work with him if he is. My feet hurt. I mean hurt. I mean...you know that torture where they turn you upside down and beat the living dog poop out of your feet...they feel like that, No exaggeration. And the legs hurt too. My feet hurt 95 percent of the time and my legs probably 65 percent. No wait...66. And a half.
Anyway.

The Neuro prescribed everyone's favorite....Ultram. I haven't heard much good about Ultram, but I'm keeping an open mind and praying it helps, because I'm being honest, Vicodin the last month or so I was taking them (July) was making me sick, and I've taken a few here and there that I've got my hands on, and they too made me sick. Go figure, after two straight years of Vicodin, the only real relief I'd gotten from the pain and now they make me sick.
Oh yeah. He also told me I could try splitting a Klonopin in half, taking a half in the morning and a whole at night.

And...(oh boy, here I go rambling I'm sure everyone is just glued to their computer screen reading this babbling mess)...my RLS is pretty controlled lately with Lyrica and Klonopin. (I know Klonopin isn't supposed to help RLS and I'm sorry but it helps mine a lot) It's mostly this DARN PAIN.
So it's 5, maybe 7.5 Klonopin, 600 mg. Lyrica and 50 or 100 something of Ultram and some kind of test in Dec. on my feet.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Randy, how far is St John for you? At least, I think that's where my doc is....if you are traveling east from Crete over on Exchange Ave, shortly after you cross into Indiana, there is a new building there for their medical group. Doc Trev and Doc Gary (father and son - last name of Marcotte), are great. They never blow me off. They give me methadone for my RLS. They listen. I'd send everyone in the world to them if I could transport them around. When my insurance stopped covering them, they even said they'd barter my stained glass for visits if I needed to. The wife/mom is also wonderful (Doc Chris), but I don't see her since the RLS started.

Oh, I was so busy trying to give that info that I forgot to say that I'm glad it's "just the muscle" but not so glad you were blown off by the doc :evil: Especially not to tell you your options. And, you know, I'd definitely go for a second opinion on that one...

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Always knew you were a "muscle head"! Sorry, couldn't resist. :P I'm on Klonopin and will apologize to no one because it helps me. Wish I didn't have to take it but it works and that's what matters. I haven't had a headache with it but do have frequent headaches, mainly along with fibromyalgia pain. I do know exactly how your feet and legs feel. (Actually I know how MINE feel and imagine that yours feel the same. Don't want anyone thnking I've been feeling your legs!) :oops: There are days when I can barely walk on my feet they hurt so much. Leg aches and cramps are starting to become an everyday thing where I didn't have too much trouble before. Anyone else have these problems? What do you do?

I think it might be time for you to find another doctor. Just my opinion which I probably should keep to myself. I have found that just because I have an opinion on almost everything, it doesn't mean I have to share them with everyone! Usually gets me in trouble!
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Well Randy, I'm glad the neuro doesn't think it's anything serious, even if he did blow you off. I hate that with doctors.

With your foot and leg pain are you on your feet a lot? We had this discussion before I think, about getting the right boots or shoes, and arch supports, etc. Do you ever just sit and soak your feet in hot water? In my little Avon business I'm always selling people nice fizzy, smelly stuff to put in the water when they soak their feet. :wink: You can probably do without the smelly stuff, but it sure does feel good. My husband and son are big fans of soaking their feet.

Do you see a podiatrist? Maybe you can get custom orthotics, or steroid injections (ouch!) or someone can do something...

Leg pain is part of my RLS and I have a lot of it. Fortunately the methadone helps. And I have my own Alpha Stim unit now, and that has done wonders for my pain levels. The pain clinic I go to refers just about all its patients to physical therapy with the Alpha Stim unit. It might be worth checking into.

I hope the tramadol works for you. I haven't heard great things about it in this forum, but in another forum for people with chronic illnesses, most people think it's the greatest thing since hair dye. :wink:

And yeah, I believe you about the clonazepam helping your RLS. I took diazepam for 10 years and it almost completely wiped out my RLS. And not because it knocked me out.

Well, I'm going to unglue myself from my 'puter screen and drug myself to sleep so I can get up early tomorrow. We have a tradition of going hiking on Thanksgiving morning, and I want to make it even if it is cold and snowing.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Susan

Walking After Midnight

ViewsAskew wrote:Randy, how far is St John for you? At least, I think that's where my doc is...

St. John is not far at all. Maybe half an hour. On US 41? I've never heard of Exchange Ave. but St. John is close enough that I'll have to take a look and see if those Doctors are in my insurance plan. Thanks Ann.

Muscle Head? Thanks Ruby. You'd feel bad if my head exploded or something and you had to live with calling me "Muscle Head" for the rest of your life. You just think about that Missy...the next time you go slinging mud around.

Squirmy. Look Mom, should I take vitamins and make sure I have clean underwear on too? Soak my feet? I don't think you're understanding of the severity of my foot pain. hee hee. Just kidding. You know SS, I actually have a foot massage/soaker/spinning-stone machine. I used to use it quite a bit but honestly it's pretty much a hassle to mess with. I'm really hoping the Ultram works. Thanks.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's east of 41 - maybe 5-10 minutes? And, for the life of me, I'm not even sure it's St John...but one of those towns on 41, south of Route 30.

Managing Your RLS

mackjergens

Post by mackjergens »

Do not know if this will help, but I have discovered that I can NOT walk around my house without shoes on, I use to go bare footed all the time in the house, but if I do that now, my feet will kill me. Just a thought.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Walking After Midnight wrote:Squirmy. Look Mom, should I take vitamins and make sure I have clean underwear on too? Soak my feet? I don't think you're understanding of the severity of my foot pain. hee hee. Just kidding. You know SS, I actually have a foot massage/soaker/spinning-stone machine. I used to use it quite a bit but honestly it's pretty much a hassle to mess with. I'm really hoping the Ultram works. Thanks.

LOL, I so deserved that. :wink: But yes, please do make sure you are wearing clean underwear. Guys can be so disgusting and you never know when you might be in an accident. Be sure and iron them too, like my mom does.

And hey. For all the leg pain I have, sometimes I'm in agony while I'm waiting for the meds to kick in, and I heat up rice packs in the microwave and put them on my legs. Sitting in an icy cold river helped a lot once, too.
Susan

Walking After Midnight

SquirmingSusan wrote: But yes, please do make sure you are wearing clean underwear. Guys can be so disgusting and you never know when you might be in an accident.

:o

I'm gonna just leave it alone.
Leave it alone.

Walking After Midnight

Man...this Ultram is making me sweat. Like a race horse.
I'm sitting here soaking wet.
And dizzy. As if Lyrica wasn't making me dizzy enough. This stuff is getting the best of me.
Plus, I need a nap.

I'm gonna give it a few days and see if it gets any better.
Whew.
I won't know if it's helping the pain until I go bck to work on Monday.

Radio WAM signing off.....

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

WAM, Hope the med settle down and kick in for you. I think you are one of he few here on Lyrica. I'm on neurontin. Was wondering about a current comments you might have regarding the Lyrica.---getting off topic here, sorry.

Best wishes.

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.