Elephant paints self portrait

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
snowbound

Elephant paints self portrait

Post by snowbound »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LHoyB81 ... utube.com/

Amazing video. Very touching. I had a tear in my eye watching it. Hope u all enjoy. :)

snowbound
A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one. ~ J. Pierpoint Morgan

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hey Snowbound, good to see you back here. Great video. Who knew?
Susan

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

What an amazing creature and shows the beauty inherent in all Creation.

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm stunned!

Neco

Post by Neco »

I hate to be all sour grapes, but I think its obvious this elephant was trained to do that.

Elephants have excellent memory after all.. I can totally see someone being able to train one to do this.. However I think it is a bit of a stretch to assume the elephant sentiently decided "I'm gonna paint a picture of myself". That's a little too "Disney Movie" for me..

My opinion aside, I think that is a pretty cool trick to teach an animals. But I am very concerned about the level of abuse it could have endured to "learn" such a trick.. As we all know, Elephant abuse can be pretty commonplace in parts of the world.

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

There only dumb cos they can't talk
But like Zach, I wonder just how much abuse the elephant took to learn that.
Even so one pretty clever elephant!

huggles
moonlight x
sleep is not only a dream

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Zach, can't you ever enjoy anything for what it is?

Actually the elephants were rescued from somewhere where they were abused, but where they are now they are revered. If you watch some of the other videos there, you can see that many of the elephants paint. There is a row of easels set up, and the elephant carries it's supplies and walks with the trainer to an easel.

I think it's pretty cool. Beats the heck out of killing them for their tusks.
Susan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Yeah, from what I've read, they seem to enjoy the painting. It's true that they've been shown how to do it, but I think they like the attention and kudos.

The paintings are sold to support a charity, though I don't remember what it was.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Our cat is trained to change the oil in my truck.
It's only singed it's hair like once or twice but what the heck, I've done that myself!

KBear

Post by KBear »

Leave it to WAM to add a little levity. : ) LOL
Kathy

Link to the Mayo Clinic Algorithm:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pd ... 907Crc.pdf

becat

Post by becat »

Cool link. Thanks.

WAM, baby, where you been brother?

We miss our bedtime stories, you better get typing or I might never sleep again! LOL :D :wink: :D

Love ya, come home soon,
Lynne

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Hiya Lynne.
Man have I been running around like a crazy man.
For a guy who was born with a lean to slow and lazy...I am up to HERE in stuff to do inside and outside and I'm doing it alone because my wife has few more days and she will be graduated with a bachelor's degree and will be looking for a job in the education field so she has been no help at all around here with stuff like painting and finishing walls and yard work and all that. She has been living at school and spending hours on the computer with books and files and papers and folders open all over the place. I'm doing my own laundry and fixing my own lunch and stuff.
It's pure HELL. Now I understand those men in Texas with two wives, one to make money and one to take care of the house and dinner and laundry.
I'm not sure I want them running around in those pink and blue dresses up to their chin and down to their ankles but I guess ONE of them could.
:roll:

Lynne, how are you? I wish you lived here so you could appreciate these lovely long awaited SPRING days. The warm breeze, the rain and thunder, little critters running around and plants budding and general greening of our local world is just so refreshing. Ahhhhhhhh. Finally. You should fly on up and over and I'll show you around! Stop by and get Ruby and whoever else. I still have lots of yard work. hee hee.

Hey. Who's everyone voting for and why?
hee hee.
That is a joke. Do NOT, I repeat do NOT answer that question.

becat

Post by becat »

WAM baby, my brother, where to start on you........ :roll: ? LOL

Ok, I loved the male TX. joke, have you met my family? LOL Ok, nnow, shame, shame on you for that PIGish joke. LOL :D

I'm so happy for Tami though, what a long ride it's been for you both. Tell her Congrats.

And it is a true shame I do not live closer. Dry Wall and bed and taping, not to mention, my skills of texturing walls would come in handy for you! :D I don't do plumbing or electric, but I can do everything else. You know I'd help.

Yes, I love the spring, just not the storms, and was told (lol) I might need mental help with my phobia. No kidding, the doc said I "should talk to someone". I had to hold my nose during that visit, so I didn't end up snorting like a pig or fall out of my chair laughing.

He said he could give me something to knock me out, I said NO WAY, how can I tell if I need to jump into the closet (my only protection) with the animals if a storm hits. I'm not taking nothing that makes me "settled" about the storms we have. LOL I loved that visit, just cracked my up.

I'd be glad to pick up Ruby and we'll be closer soon I think. If I don't have a special person from out of twon here in July, then I might be able to make the Chicago meeting.

How am I , stll fighting like always. Good days and soem bads ones. If I could find a doctor that would honestly help me fix what went wrong last year, I'd be tons better. Still have to watch things, picking up heavy stuff. Found out that using my legs equals the same pain and injury as lifting something. Still look like I'm pregnant after a busy day, go figure. But I don'thave a problem, another invisble injury to most docs.. ARggg, I just get to the point that I say forget it, I will just go on........until I can't wear my own clothing, either of the 2 sizes I carry now, LOL.

Past that, I'm an empty nester and liking it and not. Miss those two creatures being under foot and in my face. LOL

It was awesome to see your name around here, you are dearly missed my friend. BUT go paint and put up a wall. We'll get to the yard.
I love pulling weeds, btw. :D

Tell Tami we are all so proud.

Love Ya Tons Bro,
Lynne