senior moments !!

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Polar Bear

senior moments !!

Post by Polar Bear »

Today huby and I were at our bowls club. The guys had a match and I arrived later to do the catering, tea/sandwiches for approximately 40 players.

One of the players, not really senior as such, he's about 50 yrs. was hunting for his bowls, anyone seen my bowls, someone has lifted my bowls by mistake, will everyone check their bowls.
Ten minutes later, Well, have you found your bowls yet??? Duuhhh... well yes, I did, I had already put them into my car!!

Later hubby and I are in his car on the way home, had travelled about 10 minutes, when I looked into my purse, a habit I have, just check for wallet, cell phone, keys..... yikes keys, car keys.... oh dear....hmmmm... I think we have to turn back dear, we've forgotten something.

What have we forgotten ???

Well, we've forgotten my car !!! :oops: :oops:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Too funny, Betty!

But you must explain "bowls" to me.
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Susan,

lawn bowls is played outdoors on a 'Green', 4 players in each 'rink', 4 rinks make a team, 16 players altogether in a team. There are two teams. Each player has 4 bowls which have a bias, delivered up the green (grassy lawn cut very very short) about 75 yards, to get nearest to the 'jack' which is a small white or yellow ball. The team plays 21 'ends'. A match takes about 3 hours. The outdoor season lasts from May to September.

Indoor bowls is played in an indoor bowling stadium which has a smooth fabric surface and is also 75 yards long.

There is also 'short mat indoor bowls' which would be played on 'rolled out mats' and would be in church leagues. Our guys don't believe this is real bowls !!!

I believe it is not well known in the US, it is very popular here in UK and also in Australia. Our guys have gone to Australia to take part. Generally known as an older person's sport, but lots of younger people now take part.

It's fun.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Thanks for the explanation, Betty! Since I'm a little thick I decided to try to find a You Tube video of bowls. There weren't many, but I did find this instructional video from a club in California. Inquiring minds want to know!

So just the guys play?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_FRVw15Wk
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi susan,

In outdoor bowls there are ladies' teams also, they play in their own league, which is played on a Thursday afternoon, so ladies who work full time cannot take part.

Some clubs have both a ladies and a gents team, there are very very few mixed teams for outdoors, our club does not have a ladies team. The ladies get to have a go on practice evenings just for the fun of it. On special events there are a few 'friendly' games which are not on the league fixtures list, and would be more of a public relations event, i.e. our team against the City Council, about 4 of the ladies get to play on the team.

In our club there are about 8 of us wives who make a point of going with our husbands to the practice nights and taking part, also we make the refreshments for after the home matches cos the hubbies are so heavily involved that they would be out perhaps 3 times a week. This keeps us involved, we've gotten to know each other over the years and have become good friends, and are now involved socially.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Betty, forgetting your car...too rich.

Today hubby went to storage to get a table and folding chairs - his family was coming over and our table only seats 8, but there are 13 of us.

He was running late because he was trying to get pictures from our most recent trip into a PowerPoint display to show everyone. He left at 4:25, the family was arriving at 5:00 and it's a 15 to 20 minute trip each way to my studio, where the stuff is stored.

His brother got here right at 5:00. At 5:05, hubby walks in....without the table or chairs. He says we'll have to figure out how to eat without them because he forgot to take his keys with him (to open the studio).

I think we should keep this thread going. I bet we all do some pretty funny things...call it "senior' moments, call is lack of sleep, call it drug induced...whatever it is, it's pretty darn funny sometimes.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Oh my gosh, Ann!!!! Who does PowerPoint presentations for their relatives?? :o :o :o :shock: I find that more amusing than forgetting the keys. :lol:

Betty that does sound like fun. It's great to be able to make friends that you can see all the time like that. Do you all get dressed up in white with the white hats?
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

He put the pictures from our recent trip into PowerPoint so it could run as an executable and added music for the heck of it (he composes music and is a photographer). Then he routes the TV so it hooks up to the computer and this can play on the wide screen TV. This is his version of a slide show, lol.

Did I mention he is a bit of a geek?

BTW, tonight's party was sort of a early Mother's Day, sort of a rehabbed housewarming (water damage repair), and sort of a we haven't seen the family in awhile.

We decided to have a Sixties party, as in everyone had to bring a food item that was popular during the 1960's. What a trip that was (not as in an acid trip, though one SIL did propose that).

From Spam to Tang and from tie die to flower power and the Beatles playing in the background, we had it covered. I made a jello mold from a cookbook copyright 1960: Cherry Cola Mold. Yes, it had Coca Cola and sweet cherries in the cherry jello. Along with mayonnaise, walnuts, pineapple and cream cheese. None of the food went together, which made it even more interesting. I even found a recipe to reinvent the Tunnel of Fudge cake (1966) recipe (it can't be made as written any longer because they no longer make the frosting mix) and it turned out pretty similar to the original.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Oh Guys :lol:

You crack me up that was hillarious, Betty you are just something else!!
I had tears of laughter streaming down my face......

I look forward to reading more!!!!!!

huggles
moonlight :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sleep is not only a dream

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi Betty

You made me smile at that one girl, Senior Moment tell me about it.....lol

gill

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yeah, we can't call it 'lack of sleep' cos hubby forgot the car, and believe me he can sleep ok.

Yes we get dressed up. Mid week we wear grey trousers and clubshirts and the obligatory bowling shoes to protect the 'green'.

On Saturday matches, its white trousers and the club shirt, which usually has a sponsor's name.

Sports shops sell ladies grey or white bowling trousers or skirts. I DON'T THINK SO!!!! Absolutely no way would I buy them out of these shops. They are so old fashioned, inverted pleated skirts, trousers that are pleated at the waistband and narrow at the ankle!!! . Nah... we go to the high street stores and buy boot-cut trousers. The older lady members in some of the clubs kinda frown, and of course the general overall committee over all of the clubs has banned thongs. Spoilsports.

Susan, not so sure about the white hats, often its a shower proof jacket with a hood.
Betty

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ann, what a party.
yeah... the 60s. I was at a Beatles concert in Belfast in about 1964 when I was 15, that was a big deal for me to even be allowed to go to such an event. Parents were pretty strict. It was an organised bus trip from our home town and was well chaperoned.

Remember the white knee boots - real plastic.
Betty

waterloo2

Post by waterloo2 »

Hi Betty

0h geez the 60s era I was borne in Liverpool and did we know how to party in those days girl? No sex or violance like these days. Well we drunk but not too excess. Come back the 60s.

love gill

:wink:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote: and of course the general overall committee over all of the clubs has banned thongs. Spoilsports.

Too funny. Thanks for the belly laugh of the day.

Managing Your RLS

becat

Post by becat »

Darn, I was ready to sing up until you said no thongs. That is all my husband wears. ! LOL

Honestly, did you think I would say I would wear them, not a chance! lOL

Lynne