Sometimes It's The Lil Things ...

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
sardsy75

Sometimes It's The Lil Things ...

Post by sardsy75 »

Around the middle of March this year, a tiny, tiny ball of furr, a kitten, chose us as her new family. She was all of two months old, if that. Wandered up out of the dark (she's all black). She was so small she sat neatly in Troy's hand.

She came from somewhere, but no-one wanted her back. She was toilet trained and had a flea collar. We doorknocked the entire neighbourhood; to no avail.

I've had cats in my life since I was about 7. It's only now that I found out that kittens lose their teeth, just like children do! I never knew that! I freaked out on the weekend when she spat out a tooth onto the floor.

However, this teething process could possibly explain why she's going into Raven Lunatic Skitso Kitty Mode every other hour of the day, chomping and chewing on everything she can get her lil mouth around (including hands, arms, feet and legs!). My hands are a mass of scratches and bite marks, but hey, it's fun watching her "stalk" a hand!

The best thing? A lil stuffed cow that I bought for her the second nite she was with us. It get's bunny kicked; chewed on; licked; dragged to the edge of the bed & dropped on its head only to be picked up by the scruff of its ... bum ... lol and dragged back on the bed to repeat the process; carried around the house; did I mention the bunny kicking???

The worst thing? She's black. Fidget was all white with some ginger and was pathetic at any camouflage efforts lol. Raven ... she can hide in a corner, you'll look straight at her, but wont see her. I have my sleeping bag on my side of the bed at the mo (Brrrrr ... cold weather!!!). It's black, with a couple of red stripes. Where does she sleep? On the black part of course! We have literally walked around the house for five minutes sometimes, looking for her; i kid you not! Lol it's so funny when we finally see her ... coz she's opened her eyes and that's the only thing you can see ... two lil innocent eyes "who? me? i was just takin a nap!"

She's only recently discovered the bath, and water. She can spend up to an hour sitting in the bath (or for as long as my patience lasts lol) watching the small stream of water coming out of the tap, batting at the water, climbing up on the side of the bath to have a go at catching the water with her mouth (that's so comical to watch since most of it goes up her nose!), then back into the bath where she doesn't know which foot to flap first (I put the plug in so she can have a decent drink when she's finished playin) coz she's landed in a puddle of water.

Paper ... lordy me ... the mess she makes! Who needs kids when you've got a kitten who'll quite happily chase newspaper until it's literally spread from one end of the house to the other! She rolls in it, chews on it, rips it up, hides her cow under it, just don't clean it up lol ... she gets rather put out when Sunday rolls around and its cleaning day and all her nicely scattered paper is collected and piled neatly in a corner.

She has not replaced my dear Fidget, he will forever be in my heart, my lil boy; she's my lil girl now. Sleeps wedged in next to me at night, just like Fidget used to. Walks all over the desk and laptop when I'm working.

She and the dogs have a kind of agreement. She sits on one side of the back screen door, and they sit on the other. If our Rotty, Zena, makes a sudden move that Raven doesn't like, she lets her know with a hiss, a spit and a swipe with outstretched claws at the door. It's quite comical to watch! They're literally only separated by the fly-screen. Zena would just love to "play" ... you can see it in her eyes "can she come out to play mum? pretty please? just to play?". Ahhhh ... no lol.

Purring ... my gawd. I've heard loud purring before but geez ... we've got classifications for Raven: "V6", "V8" and "Mack Truck". The class depends on the time of day or what she wants. "Mack Truck" is sometimes so loud you can hear it OVER the TV!!!

She IS my baby girl. I know I sound stupid but she is. I cuddle and cradle her when she has a nap. I talk to her. She gives gorgeous lil purr-filled "nose kisses" (nose to nose). She might only be young, but she has a heart of pure gold and I hope she is a part of our lives for a very long time.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

nadia
how absolutely wonderful, I too have a kitten he is now 7months old , i got him at 9wks from the cat rescue .He is black and gorgeous with a brilliant nature.........exept when teething, i too was coverd in scratches.....Mog has started to go out , though i go with him as he seems so small compared to the other full grown cats in the area.

I sit out on a chair and he keeps looking to see if i'm there or if there is a noise he's not sure of he comes over and hides under the chair.The other day he climbed his first tree and obvoiusly enjoyed it , he'd been out for 2hrs and slept all evening ...he was exhausted.

i agree it is so nice to have a kitten , i wouldn't be without him...I talk , play and cuddle him as you say a baby ....well he is my little baby boy cat

he has a top off a juice bottle and goes and finds it , carries it all over the house and plays with it , he does this for hours at a time , it's amazing.

enjoy your kitten

huggles
moonlight x
sleep is not only a dream

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Aaawww....

My cat Rosie is 11 years old, I got her from the cat rescue also. She is a grey tabby with a beautiful white chin and chest and 4 white 'socks'. I was on my own when I got her, and then met my 'to be' husband who hated cats with a vengeance, couldn't be in the same room at first. He reckoned cats moved too quietly and quickly.

When we married after 7 years Rosie came too, by this time she was 'his cat' she lies at 'his' feet. :wink:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

That's cool..

Our second dog Venus kind of grew on me.. We got her about a year or so before I started dropping out of Highschool, and I remember how tiny she was.

I think it was just after we got her, I woke up one morning and found she had been curled up sleeping on top of my head, and my dad was snickering. Now she's fairly small but much bigger than that.. Has taken to hanging out in my room lately, always coming to my door at night and making a bed out of her blanket I put down on the floor for her. Stays there for hours.

Still hardly listens to me tho :?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Pets are truly indescribable. It was as if I were in Nadia's house as I read her post.

Betty, you are lucky. My DH has severe allergies. He tried shots for over 4 years and was tested just last week. No change.

Even with additional antihistamines on top of the shots, he can't be in a house where there is a cat or dog for more than a few hours before his eyes start to itch and swell.

Guess I'll have to live vicariously through all of you. I still love DH more....but it's a close call!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Well... could ionic breeze every room in your house, maybe? heh..

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Nadia...
put the teeth under the pillow and see what happens.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My (step)son also has difficulties with allergy when he comes home to visit from RAF. Wooden floors and leather furniture have made a big difference, and stocked up with Piriton. We don't even shake the mat (outside) from the day before he visits, cos just moving the mat to replace it disturbs enough particles to be a problem for several days. And it is only the cat - no other allergies.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hey Nadia

I'm so glad you have your little girl, now! Pets give us such unconditional love. And, it's so relaxing to just sit and pet a cat or dog. In fact, there are studies proving that doing so can lower your blood pressure. See http://www.petrescue.com.au/information ... option/186.

We have a "little boy", a Jack Russell Terrier, who's a rotten egg! He sure has been a blessing to me--especially while recuperating from my back surgery.

Enjoyed your post, Nadia. :)

Hugs
Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Walking After Midnight wrote:Nadia...
put the teeth under the pillow and see what happens.

I did! Nothin yet :cry:

Guess I better give the Tooth Fairy a call an let him/her know that there's another "kid" losin teeth in this house, who's desperate for some pocket money :lol:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a three week old headache right now. When the screen aint doin a great job of replicatin shovin a knife through my head, i'll write about Raven's outside adventures ... They're just as funny as inside!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!