Kenny Rogers

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Polar Bear

Kenny Rogers

Post by Polar Bear »

I heard on the local news that Kenny Rogers is coming to Belfast and tickets had gone on sale, so I googled to see where he is performing. It is in the Odyssey Arena which I am not keen on, I prefer our beautiful Opera House which is much smller and full of character. Last time, hubby and I said 'never again' to the odyssey. It is used for all sorts of events, sports etc. so is pretty much without character.

However, this was Kenny Rogers we are talking about!!!! Even if it is in the odyssey. I couldn't believe it, the show isn't until March 2009. And booking already. Also tickets are £45 ($90) each plus tax... now, this seems a bit extravagant to me. a hundred quid for a night's entertainment, not to inlude dinner etc. etc. Hubby is no help at all, go ahead and book if you want pet!!! So I justified it, to myself, verbally. I'm near 60, I work full time.... this is what I work full time for..... to allow ourselves treats. Another good reason - Hubby and I got married to Kenny Rogers music (You Decorated my Life & Always and Forever) really corny I know).....

Okay, so yes I did it, We go to see Kenny Rogers in March 2009.

Still feel a bit extravagant paying this amount of money. Must be something to do with being a war baby... use everything up... don't throw anything away... keep that -we will find a use for it. which is why we had to have 3 carload runs to the rubbish tip just to tidy the garage.

And isn't Kenny Rogers gorgeous :wink:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

I'll tell you PB, that's one devoted husband if he's willing to sit through an entire Kenny Rogers concert for you.

:)

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Nnnaaaahhhh...... He likes Kenny Rogers also. It was hubby who chose this music for our wedding. And he's no wooos.

WAM, where is your heart and soul and romance?

Kenny Rogers... romantic lyrics (unless its Ruby going to town!!!) Brings back great memories.

son says the audience will all be on walking sticks... thick specs... etc. etc.
What does he know!! Snow on the roof and a fire in the grate :lol: :lol:
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hey Polar Bear good for you in booking that show. Never wait for anything as you do not know what is around the corner. I,myself, like Kenny Rogers but have never seen him in person. Enjoy it.

Remember never wait for tomorrow as it does not wait for you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Go for it, Betty! You won't regret it if you go, and you will regret it if you don't! Listening to music is what gets me from one day to the next, and every now and then I have to pay the big bucks to see one of "my singers."
Susan

Walking After Midnight

Polar Bear wrote:Nnnaaaahhhh...... He likes Kenny Rogers also. It was hubby who chose this music for our wedding. And he's no wooos.

WAM, where is your heart and soul and romance?

Kenny Rogers... romantic lyrics (unless its Ruby going to town!!!) Brings back great memories.

ha ha..."wooos".
That's hilarious. I had no idea that was a world wide word.
Woos.
heh.
However, there's no way that I would insinuate that your husband was anything like a wooos. Never. That's just not right. Everyone has their own musical tastes...look at Dee for example. (or don't)

It was just an off the wall comment that I probably shouldn't have made...but you gotta admit Coward of the County and The Gambler rank right up there with the dumbest songs ever writ. I actually like "Ruby", it's one of his better songs, and "Music Man" is another good one.
But an entire evening of him...oh boy.

Hey Betty, now that we're talking music. What are some good Irish bands that I could check out? I like a couple songs the Pogues do..."Dirty Ol Town" and their cover of "Waltzing Matilda" are real good. Why doesn't that guy get his teeth fixed though? heh. (As if you know) The Coors are kinda a little bit too easy listening for me but pretty talented.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sorry for the tangent ...

Randy, do you ever listen to WBEZ on Friday nights, maybe 9 or 10 PM for the world music show? It's not Afropop or Latino USA - it's a local show that has some great music from all over. Oh, yeah, that's it - Radio M http://wbez.org/Program_RM.aspx

I also like American Roots - daytime, Saturdays that last I listened.

Oh, and of course, The Annoying Music Show (haven't listened in years, but used to catch it every week and would laugh so hard at what he'd find...)

These are all available to listen to on your computer, for those who aren't in the same area as Randy and I are.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

There are several radio stations here that play The Annoying Music Show all the time.

Or at least it seems that way to me.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It started here at Chicago Public Radio and was syndicated by Ken Nordine of Word Jazz fame. Heck, there are probably CDs you can buy at this point.

When it first came out, maybe ten years ago, it would always play on Saturdays immediately after Whadya Know (I think). I tended to be in my car for some reason and would here it a lot. I can still remember a version of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds by William Shatner....oh, my....I think I had to pull over on the side of the road!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

WAM... I didn't for one moment take offence at any of your comments. I was being 'tongue in cheek'.

Sure... isn't The Gambler' just the ticket for a singalong... all of us coming home from a bowls match on a Saturday in a 24 seater bus (with just a little alcohol involved).

The Pogues!!! entertaining yeah... I have quite a bit of the Corrs, you might also like Tommy Makem, The Clancy Brothers, a favourite of mine is Christy Hennessy, sometimes his daughter sings with him, also Mary Black and no relation, Frances Black.

But I would really recommend Eric Bogle, tho he is Scottish, listen to the words of his 'And the band played Waltzing Matilda' about an Aussie soldier coming back from the war. Also his song 'Willie McBride', tho it is also known by another name which just escapes me... about a young lad shot during the war.... Sounds grim and they are pretty sad... bring a tear to a stone.....
Betty

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

Reminds me of the time many moons ago when the family was moving from Idaho to Maine we made it to Donners pass and there was a white out........we were sitting in the car waiting for the snow plows to get us over the pass to red lodge montanta when a huge limo pulled up next to us and out came Kenny Rogers.............he is a very nice man and let us get in his limo to feed our 5 month old.........his music was acutually playing in the car hmmmmmmm very handsome too!!!!
You cant be brave if you have only had wonderful things happen to you

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

My Mother won a weekend trip to see Kenny about 20 years ago in Branson, Missouri. After a wonderful time and great concert she was checking out in the hotel and remembered she had forgotten something up in her room.

Upon waiting for the elevator to go back down, the door opened and who was in the elevator? Kenny himself. She had no idea he was staying in the same hotel. It was a dream come true for her with a nice conversation and a few pictures taken. Memories she cherishes and still speaks often of. :)

snowbound
A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one. ~ J. Pierpoint Morgan

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Wow, Lyndarae. I've been "rescued" from various situations by kind people who seemed like angels at the time, but it was never anyone like Kenny Rogers! I can't even remember ever riding in a limo...
Susan

Walking After Midnight

Polar Bear wrote:
But I would really recommend Eric Bogle, tho he is Scottish, listen to the words of his 'And the band played Waltzing Matilda' about an Aussie soldier coming back from the war.

Sounds like the very same "Waltzing Matilda" the Pogues covered, along with everyone else in the world. I had this Cassette tape, years ago I ordered it off TV. This guy's name was John something....Mac something or Mc something...maybe. Anyway the story was that he privately recorded this album to give to his mom as a present and it became so popular that a record company picked it up. Darn it's gonna bug me all night long that I can't think of the dude's name. Anyway that was the first time I ever heard Waltzing Matilda. I love it. "And the young people ask 'what are they marching for?'...and I ask myself the same question".
You probably don't like Tom Waits, but he has a song with the same title that's beautiful, kinda bluesy jazzy, totally different song.

Anyway I'm tired. Night.
Randy

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Tom Waits is a songwriting savant. Shame about his voice, poor guy, but I don't care really. I can hear past it. I wish more people could--they're missing out.

His version of Waltzing Mathilda is different in content, but similar in delivery. I like it a lot.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.