Making Do

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Polar Bear

Making Do

Post by Polar Bear »

I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself.

I am going to a few functions over the next couple of months and wanted something new to wear. Smart ,not too dressy but more so that smart casual. One is the 50th birthday party of an ex work colleague of my husband and I will me meeting lots of people for the first time. I don't normally 'do' dresses, but thought let's go for a change.

So I found this really nice white cotton dress that looks like linen, splashed with bright fuschia pink flowers. down to the ankles, low neckline and sleevless (don't normally do sleeveless either but thought it will be ok with plenty of false tan etc. etc.) It was quite expensive. Then came the shoes, tried to find pink shoes or sandals to fit the criteria i.e. look classy, be comfy, not too high a heel, you know how it goes gals. Couldn't find what I wanted. Then realised I had just the sandals I needed, silver but with big cream beads on the front - wrong colour!!. The cream beads are no more!!! One bottle of cheap nail polish and my sandals now sport pink beads the exact colour of the dress.

Then came the earrings, cheap cream drop earrings became pink drops. As we speak, I have a chopstick balanced between 2 mugs, and the earrings are hanging from the chopstick and are a beautiful pink.

Jeezz.... isn't it great when you get a brainwave, and it works. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I should add that the reason the earrings are hanging from a chopstick is because I have just painted them with the pink nail polish and they are 'hanging out to dry'. :roll: :roll:
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

Very cool, and frugal ideas!

I often shop at thrift shops and other inexpensive stores. You have to look hard, but I have found some really cute suits (with an imagination). I take them home and change the buttons to make them look less cheap. It's amazing what a difference those buttons make!

Enjoy your upcoming events, Polar Bear! I'm sure you will look great in your perfectly coordinated outfit!
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

That sounds really cute, Betty. Good thinking.
Susan

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Wait just a minute...
aren't you supposed to be wearing GREEN somewhere...lassie?
:shock:

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Excellent ideas, Polar Bear!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Scarlett - I also use the thrift stores and pick up excellent bargains.

WAM - sorry, I don't do a lot of green, but I do use a lot of linen, which was our national industry - before it started being made in far east.
Betty

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hey Polar Bear let us know how the functions were. Your outfit really sounds beautiful. If you can put up a picture so we can see how you look.

Have fun and know you will look just great.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Walking After Midnight wrote:Wait just a minute...
aren't you supposed to be wearing GREEN somewhere...lassie?
:shock:

Wrong country, WAM. She's in Northern Ireland. I thought that was orange...
Susan

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

oh betty you are such a clever girl, please do post a photo , your outfit sounds lovely.

huggles
moonlight x :P
sleep is not only a dream

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yeah... hmmmm.... orange/green.

When I said I didn't 'do' a lot of green, I meant it's cos the colour doesn't do much for me... Having said that orange isn't particularly flattering on me either!!!

Yeah, Susan, I suppose N.Ireland is traditionally thought of as orange... but quite honestly altho most of us would in theory lean towards one direction or the other, generally none of us give a stuff. :roll: :roll:

Live and let live.. be happy... do unto others etc. etc.

And to get back on track... yes, I reckon my 'make do' will work out well. Will be meeting people for the first time, and want folk to think.... yeah, he did ok, (rather than ???? :shock: :shock: ??) You females will know what I mean......
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

While I completely understand the desire to have people think that, I do believe that when you talk to them, they can't but think it, no matter how you look. I'm happy you'll look lovely, but you are such a lovely person, it will be what everyone remembers.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

You are all very kind. thank you

:lol:
Betty

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Man you scared me with that "Wrong country, orange Northern Ireland" stuff. I started thinking maybe Northern Ireland had broken off and become it's own place and I had missed it.
Anyway. I was trying to prove to Betty that I'm really funny and at the same time, a real bonehead, so I came up with...You're supposed to wear green Lassie.
Oh boy.

Betty...no offense meant at all. I think of green. That's it, nothing deeper. Ya know, the Emerald Isle and all that. Like Red White and Blue for the U.S.

Hope you have a good time at the party(s).

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

WAM, taking offence didn't even cross my mind.

We do confuse most people.
On the one hand, we are part of the island of Ireland, and happy to be part of the Emerald Isle, but we are in fact part of the UK, we are just not on the mainland.

And boy, does this give us difficulties!! Most times when on the mainland UK, shops etc. will not accept our Northern Ireland Bank currency notes which are of course legal tender.

:roll: :roll:
Betty