Going Public

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Polar Bear

Going Public

Post by Polar Bear »

Okay, I'm going public!!!

I AM/WAS a smoker, about ten a day. Over the last few weeks I was really disgusted with myself. Well... I always knew it was disgusting... gave it up once a couple of years ago for about a month. But enjoyed it. That is until these last few weeks.

Got to wonder, why did I light this up. I'm not enjoying it. Every pack was going to be my last pack :roll: That went on for weeks. Then last week several times I stubbed out the ciggie after only a couple of puffs. Didn't like it. So..... 7 days ago I was stubbing out the two or three that I lit up. Had none 6 days ago. 5 days ago I was at a big party and had 2 ciggies. On Saturday, that was 4 days ago, I lit up one, had a puff and put it out. None since then.

Hubby is still smoking and it hasn't been bothering me. No smoking in the house anyway, only outside or in the garage.

This evening, hmmm... I could have fancied one but know that I would be really disappointed in myself. And after only a couple of puffs would be wondering why I lit up.

I've been smoking all of my adult life and regret so much ever starting. It was an evening with my teenage friend of the time and trying something 'different'. And truly....... it wasn't even my idea.

Nowadays we are smoke free in bars etc. any public buildings, and there is nothing dignified about 'smoker's corner' at the back of the pub, in the rain, and the cold, and the wind - you get the idea.

I will let you know how it goes.

It's a long long time since I have tried this... Fingers crossed.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi PB congratulations. I know you will do it. I know I quit over 35 yrs ago and never looked back.

For me it was not hard as I quit with no problem so it was easy for me.

As for my hubby it was not so easy as he was a 2-packer/day and had a heart attack in 1986 (he was only 46) but he was one of the fortunate one's as he enjoyed life and wanted to live it to the fullest. His dr told him if he continued to smoke he may have about 5 yrs and here it has been 22 yrs. He would never go back to it.

In the first place I told him if he ever went back smoking he would not have to worry about the cigarettes killing as I would do it LOL.

Really he is fine with it. He had a triple by-pass last June and is doing great.

Please keep us posted and we are all here cheering you on.

Good luck but know you will do fine.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

Good luck with it PB! I am also a smoker - it's always been much more difficult for me to quit than for my hubby. He can just up and quit - says the only reason he smokes is because I do... whatever...

I've quit several times over the years... LOL
It was easy to quit when I was pregnant - made me sick to my stomach. But as soon as I was done nursing, I couldn't wait to have one! How stupid is that? I tried Zyban to help quit several years ago - that worked well for about 6-7 months. Until we went to the races (NASCAR)... Big party inside the track. I knew I would be drinking lots, and knew I couldn't do it without smokes... so that weekend I started again. Since then I've never made it past 3 days.

Thing is... I've never smoked a whole ton anyway. A pack lasts me about 2 and a half days. But I freak if I run out. I really think it's all mental for me... "what will I do while I'm driving... what will I do on my lunch hour..." Hubby has really been nagging about quitting again lately. I have cut down to about 4 on most days. Maybe someday my head will be ready for it.

Until then... good luck to you! It's a wonderful thing you're doing for yourself!
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Way to go Polar Bear! I know that for some people it is almost, if not impossible, to quit. Sometimes it comes easier, who knows why? I'll be on the support wagon (from afar) for anyone who needs it. We want our family here to stay for a long time. Congrats!
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Funny how we have to be "ready" for it. My advisor/professor for my BA used to say that whoever figures out exactly what happens and can replicate that will be an instant billionaire, lol.

I'm with ya, Polar Bear. I did a similar thing as you...kept doing it after I was disgusted until one day I said, "Why????" and stopped. I haven't done it since and that was 13 years ago. Wow, how time flies!

Scarlett, I do think you can little things to get your head there. Have conversations with yourself about what you don't like. Reinforce that this isn't who you want to be (if this is true). I used to have people say to me, "You smoke? You don't seem like you're a smoker! I just can't believe you smoke!" This really helped me - I stopped identifying myself as a smoker. Eventually, I wasn't one.

Here's a big fat pat on the back to anyone who's ever quit. And another series of pats to those who want to. With the right motivation, we can do anything.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

Hold on PB. I mean, you are going to want one but don't have it.

You can stop smoking, sounds like you've got it on the run but don't let go of that will to quit. No matter what.

You will be so glad you quit. I was/am. I didn't ever think I could quit, even years after I had quit, I'd smell someone lighting up and it would bring it all back, especially after a meal. But I know what you mean about being dissapointed in yourself...and to take it to the other side, you will be so happy with yourself if you hang in.

All those decisions we make when we're young. Oh boy. To be able to do it all over again.......

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks everyone. I smoked about 10 - 12 a day.

Today I could very easily have one, but didn't. There is a pack in my car, a pack in the house, and a pack in the garage. I have tried before the finishing of the pack and saying No More. This time I have kept them about, thinking if I was desperate then I could have one, rather than have none and then buy a pack, which I would then smoke.

I am rambling..... .....

Hubby says I am doing great, tho he is still smoking, he has had the patches for a couple of months but not the motivation. Says he will think about it after our hols in a couple of weeks. Of course, then there will be the lure of 'duty free' ciggies, etc. etc.

Another day over, think I might even get my car valeted inside, no more fag ash :oops:

bye,
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

Keeping the "emergency" pack is what I've done in the past too... (with some success, by the way). Better than buying a whole pack and then thinking you need to finish it off. I don't feel so deprived if I know they are available... It's more of a choice that way. If I'm out, and I can't buy anymore, it feels much more restrictive, and I tend to rebel.

OK... now I'm rambling... :)

So far, so good! Good job PB!
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

This is bringing back vivid memories - I, too, couldn't do the "quit in the middle" of the pack thing. If I bought a pack, that was it.

On a few different occasions I have stopped eating all refined or processed sugar - even in things like ketchup, etc. I didn't eat cane sugar or corn syrup in any form. I allowed myself some honey to bake with.

Well, I couldn't stop when I had an OPEN packet of cookies or whatever. But, I could do it and keep unopened packets around. Weird.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Scarlett, you have said exactly what I meant.

Yes, Views, there is obviously a big psychological factor going on here.

I definitely feel more in control by actually having a supply should I wish to use the supply, but I choose not to use it.

Thanks folks.
Betty