Favorite Inspirational Music

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Sojourner

Favorite Inspirational Music

Post by Sojourner »

Don't know if there has been a thread related to this but...I was thinking about this in my last post to Lyndarae.

What are some inspirational tunes or music (using that term loosely) that others find uplifting or enjoy listening to when they are feeling blue, the rls is overwhelming, or something similar. Something that recharges the battery, grabs hold and gives a bit of hope and strength. I have quite a few on my ipod that I crack open when I am feeling down or whatever. Some are religious, most are not or not intensely so. One of my recent favorites is "Footprints in the Sand" by Leona Lewis. Another is "If We Hold on Together" by Dianna Ross.

If you go to YouTube and type in the name of the songs you will be able to hear them. Close the lights, put your head down and listen!

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hey M

Just found this thread.

I forget who the original artist is but "You Raise Me Up" is a wonderfully inspriational song ... I have a version by Clannad, an Irish Band.

When I'm down and out I usually throw on Enya, Clannad or ERA. I've just found a double CD set called "Buddha Chill" which is very soothing when things just dont seem to go the way you'd like them to.

If I need a SERIOUS pick-me-up I throw on Blue Man Group, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Guns n Roses, AC/DC ... lol ... think you get my drift ... it's nice to give a lil back to the nextdoor neighbours sometimes too :wink:
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Ah, Clannad, I love their stuff. Did you know they're Enya's siblings and other relatives? I loved both for years before I found out they're related. Enya was even in Clannad for a while when she was younger... she did the vocals on one song, and her voice was so young and sweet you could hardly recognize it. If you like Clannad, there's also the solo stuff by the lead singer, Maire Brennan (Enya's sister). Some is excellent.

For uplifting, I also find the original Adiemus (self-titled) album was great, especially the self-titled track.

Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwo'ole is wonderful... some very happy songs. Also a few very mournful, but we can always skip what we're not in the mood for. Facing Future is my favorite album, probably for having his well-known Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World medley on it.

I also have tons of more mainstream stuff I like, but that's all pretty subjective, often more related to my life when I heard it than what's actually in the song.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Ahh, yes Aiken, a friend of mine introduced me to Clannad in 2004 ... I have a number of their cd's now. Yes, I was given the whole Enya/Clannad family history run-down too lol.

I just thought of another couple of cd's that I have when I need something, well, not so quite, but soothing; when I was in Brisbane a couple of years ago I was at the Riverside Markets and a group of young men from Peru, South America, were playing a free concert for the crowd. Their group's name is "Walisuma". I've since bought another cd of theirs.

The music brought back the memories of my time in Peru and how much I loved being at Macchu Pichu (i'll get there again one day!). They had just launched a cd and I bought it there and then and love it.

Now, dont all start wondering what's in the water i've been drinking, but if I REALLY REALLY cant get to sleep at night, I have a number of cd's of pure and simple classical music. Mozart, Beethoven, etc, etc ... my Grandfather (maternal) used to listen to this music for hours on end and I think it was when he was frustrated with his legs at night. He would sit next to the big stereo system with his headphones on and would be on another planet. He'd also record pieces off the radio to listen to them later as well.

I have an IPod, but until last night, for whatever reason, it had not been working. Now it does ... go figure lol.

Now all I gotta do is find all the bits and pieces that go with it so I can change my tune list ... oh ... and find all my b & p so I can get onto voice chat.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Neco

Post by Neco »

As music goes, I don't really have a favorite kind and will listen to just about anything I think sounds good, with few exceptions (like country...ewww!)

I've always been partial to electronic music though. I have an appreciation for video game music that most kids never really had, growing up. A lot of older stuff from the 80's and 90's like Nintendo/SNES, Sega Genesis, computers like the Commodore 64 and Amiga. They have had such limited sound technology wise, it really is a technical achievement to produce anything on their sound chips that sounds like bonafide music. Almost takes a true artist in every sense.

The past few years its really the only new field of music I actively seek new discoveries from. My winamp list is full of different stations from www.di.fm so I kind of just jump around until I find something to settle on.. But I probably listen to the "harder" stuff more often than not. I always have time for some Goa / Psy Trance.

I think the complexity is what draws me to it though, it's a lot easier to single out and study patterns in electronic music because there can be a lot less distortion drowning other stuff out, and I have this weird obsession with technically analyzing everything I listen to.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Sorry Zach.....

I just love country music, but also swing, Rat Pack.
Yeah, I know most folk think country music is all about dying dogs and broken hearts, and I guess a lot of it is. But Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton...bliss ... oh, and I do like Billy Joel.

I would have said I could listen to most music, but electronic/technological music you are talking about is like a foreign language to me, and I guess that's probably a generation thing, and as it should be, seeing as I am (a funky) 60 next birthday, and you are 26.

A song that always brings a pang to my heart is called 'Sonny' (Don't go away), and it may just be local irish country music, and one that is played very often on local radio. Its all about - dad who is a sailor and never comes home, mum is all alone on the farm coping and asks sonny not to go away and leave her all alone..... so sonny doesn't go, he stays and works the farm, grows old, and of course eventually he is all alone. :(
OK..... hardly uplifting... but make you think.

This probably plucks my heartstrings as my son lives and works in the US. Tho I also have 3 wonderful stepsons.

But you get the gist.... and of course there's me on a ramble again !!

I agree with Aiken, its all about what was/is going on at a certain time in life.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

I don't think music is really as generational as people make it out to be..

I've listen to all kinds of stuff. I like some really neat sounding stuff that would probably fall under swing/jazz/whatever. In fact I had an 8 track player when I was a kid and one of my tapes (is that what they call them?) was a Nat King Cole album.

A lot of people have no problem looking back in time for music they like, and I think in reality it is down to our personalities, will to change and open ourselves to new things, and a desire to seek something new and fresh.

I listen to lots of classic rock and metal from the 70's and 80's. My dad is pretty dead set in his classic rock ways too, but even if he's trapped in the car with me I can tell he isn't being tortured by my music. He hates rap with a passion though. I grew up with it, and although I can't stand what passed for music these days, I have a lot of nostalgia for certain songs.

My mom seems pretty progressive in her tastes, she'll listen to a lot of the modern pop stuff, and her and my sister like a lot of the same things I guess. She doesn't care what she listens to in the car as long as it keeps her awake, according to her "as along as its some kinda noise I don't care". I used to listen to lots of rap in the car with her because she never really cared.

I just can't stand country for whatever reason. It doesn't appeal to me. It's not even about the whole "I have a hard life, pity me" thing.. It's the way the music itself sounds. Just can't stand it

Helen518

Post by Helen518 »

I feel good! by James Brown. It gets me dancing and smiling and works out some of the creepy crawlies. Sometimes my toddler will dance along with me.

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

Music truly does amazing things for the soul, that is for sure.

I just recently picked out a bunch of tunes for my cell phone (which is an MP3 player) for my long outdoor runs. Most of that is fast, hard 80's rock music. My high school years... I can sing along, and the beat gets me going! And I do have some newer pop stuff mixed in there too... Like Kid Rock, Cheryl Crow, Pink, Eminem...

But really, it all completely depends on my mood - Pick 5 moments, and I'll give you 5 totally different genres.

I grew up listening to 60's and 70's country music. Patsy Cline is my OMG favorite ever. But in general, country music from that era takes me back to childhood. And in the car, when I'm not listening to the news or talk radio... I love to listen to 90's and current country music too.

Now, when I'm all alone, and feeling blue... I will sometimes listen to some classical or opera music. Andrew Lloyd Webber - I could listen to the 'Phantom' music over and over... Oh, how I would love to have the talent to sing opera!
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"

Helen518

Post by Helen518 »

Also, barenaked Ladies, Moxy Fruvous, and OLD Mr. ROGers songs!

Also, the song about the ant that moves teh rubber tree plant.

Love the song Viva La Vida by Coldplay.

Mostly I like songs that make me laugh or smile, or that I cannot resist the urge to dance to.

My husband is a music ADDICT, and right now he sings the baby to sleep with songs by Blue Rodeo or The Band.

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

Helen--

Heh, I was assuming you were in Delaware state, but are you actually in Delaware, Ontario? I ask since everyone you named, except Mr. Rogers, is Canadian.

I forgot to mention BNL. They're often good for a laugh, and sometimes good for a darker mood as well.

Living south of the border for so long, I really miss Canadian music. When Napster, the old not-so-legal version, was all the rage, I found all the old songs I loved from high school and college and had a great time listening to everything again. It was kind of hard to get stuff like Grapes of Wrath down here otherwise. That alone is uplifting, getting to hear all the stuff you haven't heard in ages.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Neco

Post by Neco »

Bit Torrent is Aiken's friend :wink:

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

Aiken wrote: I really miss Canadian music.

2 Canadian ladies i really like,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CbAjj80NIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jX7i0MG0uk

Enjoy. :)
A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one. ~ J. Pierpoint Morgan

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I've had a crush on Sarah McLachlan since, like, forever. Amazing voice, and oh, those dark, almond eyes...

I'm not sure I'd call her stuff uplifting, though. :) It tends to be pretty dark, even when she's being relatively upbeat.

snowbound

Post by snowbound »

Aiken wrote:I'm not sure I'd call her stuff uplifting, though. :) It tends to be pretty dark, even when she's being relatively upbeat.

You're right Aiken. For most it would not be music to listen to when needing a boost. For some strange reason though it helps me keep things in perspective when i'm down. Not really sure why, that's just how it is for me. :)
A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing. One that sounds good, and a real one. ~ J. Pierpoint Morgan