Great Reads

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
ViewsAskew

Great Reads

Post by ViewsAskew »

OK, Ruby, you wanted it, let's do it! But first...

Ruby mentioned some ground rules. We know that people have such diverse views, and that in the past some conversation have resulted in hurt feelings, and that we want everyone to feel safe and included....

So, how to make sure that happens? Any thoughts? The options I've thought of so far are:

1. Only list titles and authors, no discussion

2. The OP (original poster) can offer some reasons he or she likes and and recommends it, but no other discussion can take place.

3. Discussion is allowed on anything except politics and religion.

I am sure there are other ones that I haven't thought of. I do not want the moderators to have to "police" this as we don't want that to be our role if at all avoidable and I really don't want any hurt feelings. Some people are much more comfortable taking adversarial positions that others. I don't want those who are to feel terribly limited, but I do feel we need to ensure everyone enjoys being here.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

A great book. 'Not Without My daughter' by Betty Mahmoody.

I read this about 10 years ago and have always remembered it. This is a true story. There is also a movie with Sally Field. The movie was fine but I felt didn't get into the mind of the character like the book.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Another book I just absolutely loved was 'Bridges Over Madison County' by Robert James Waller. Not a very long book. And as the main characters are middle aged, perhaps you need to be of a certain age, to appreciate the emotions.

Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep were the leads in the movie. The movie was ok, but I feel books dig a little deeper.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

"If You Give A Mouse A Cookie"

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I hope no one read my alternatives for rules and thought they were in place...I was just throwing out ideas.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Shaving the Inside of Your Skull by Mel Ash.

The subtitle says, "Crazy wisdom for discovering who you really are" and in the introduction he explains. "This book is about shaving the inside of our skulls, about identifying and getting rid of the dense growth of beliefs, imprinting, and concepts inside our heads that cause us pain and keep us asleep. Once our skulls are emptied or the tangled and choking growth of belief and expectation, all things become possible and flow unimpeded through out spacious heads and spirits."

Managing Your RLS

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.

One caution: this is extremely irreverent and makes fun of things in ways some people would not appreciate. Sedaris holds nothing sacred; he is searingly honest (from his perspective) and tells tales in a way most of us only imagine, but would never articulate.

Managing Your RLS

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The Chosen, by Chaim Potok

In fact, I have loved every book written by Chaim Potok. Davita's Harp, My Name is Asher Lev, The Promise, The Gift of Asher Lev, and anything else I've forgotten.

Managing Your RLS

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

The Colour of Magic, by Terry Pratchett.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Ann wrote:

"The subtitle says, "Crazy wisdom for discovering who you really are" and in the introduction he explains. "This book is about shaving the inside of our skulls, about identifying and getting rid of the dense growth of beliefs, imprinting, and concepts inside our heads that cause us pain and keep us asleep. Once our skulls are emptied or the tangled and choking growth of belief and expectation, all things become possible and flow unimpeded through out spacious heads and spirits."

Say what!! :)

M.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It's a primer on how to determine if your beliefs are your beliefs, or if you've simply carried them over from others. For example, maybe your mom said you should be in the clean plate club but now you're fat and wondering why. You have to challenge your beliefs to determine what it good for you. Needless to say, this about much more than your clean plate, but the point is the same.

Managing Your RLS

ed2008

Post by ed2008 »

personally, I have read and re-read the books from tom clancy. while certainly dated (his first books were written in the mid to late 80's) I enjoy his stuff.. then again, I am a guy, and i subscribe to the RedGreen show man prayer.. "I'm a man... But I can change.. If I have to.. I guess"

Bridges over Madison County would NOT be (oink oink) on my (oink oink) list (oink oink) sorry polar bear, I just couldn't resist (lol)

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

Um... my favorite book is Gone With The Wind...

Betcha would've never guessed that! :wink:
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"

Walking After Midnight

Post by Walking After Midnight »

They made a book out of that movie?

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Walking After Midnight wrote:"If You Give A Mouse A Cookie"

"Where the Wild Things Are"

I even have "Wild Things" checks. Other favorites are: "Icy Sparks" by Gwyn Hyman Rubio, "The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram," and "The Color Purple" by Alice Walker.
Susan