Any good pressie ideas

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Polar Bear

Any good pressie ideas

Post by Polar Bear »

I don't know if this is a good idea/daft idea, but here goes.

You know what it is like, xmas coming up, you/partner have been together a while. All the good ideas have been used up for pressies, and you start to run out of ideas, can still do a decent gift, but are looking for the 'surprise' factor.

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas, unusual, something that really worked, but didn't cost a lot of money. i.e. Its the thought that counts ( or someone elses thought :lol: ).

I've done the tickets for shows/weekend breaks etc.
One weekend away, special birthday, just an hour's drive. I arranged for table to be decorated with balloons and sons/daughters-in-law/sister and family to be in the hotel bar when we came down for dinner. That was a good one aand actually brought tears of joy. Wasn't cheap, but it was worth it.

A good one was where I took a photograph to a guy who did a charcoal sketch from it, and I had it professionally framed. Another was a friend who paints but not to sell, gave me a painting which I had beautifully mounted and framed, and I made a donation to the children's hospice in the name of the artist.

Another was I 'acquired' a photograph of hubby when he first joined the force 30 years ago, and got it put onto a mug, really cheap and cheerful, but a complete surprise cos of the particular photo that was on the mug, he didn't know how I got the photo.

I've used the same idea recently, My son and his wife were home in September from the US, and whilst here visited two very beautiful beauty spots, and took lots of photographs including some of themselves as a couple whilst there. When they got home they sent us a disc of their photos.

So I chose two photos, one of the couple with the beauty spot in the background and one of the beauty spot - and got these put on each side of the mug with their names and also the name and date of visit to the beauty spot. And I did the same on a second mug, for the second beauty spot.
Yeah, really corny, cheap and tacky....... but done with love.
The thing is..... it is the surprise factor.... and their own photos.

Any ideas folks ??? :lol: :lol:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You are much more inventive than I!!!!

No ideas from this pressie dud.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

There is nothing cheap OR tacky about a present that has been thought about and brought about with love and affection as you have done!

Definitely more creative than me!

Does DH have a favourite movie/movie character? Troy is right into Star Wars (the Original trilogy) and he just adores Chewbacca. I trawled the internet and found a limited edition Chewbacca "action figure" that had been autographed by the guy who's in Chewy's suit ... Peter Mayhew. I also found some film strips from one of the movies that had Chewy in them, and an original (authenticated) photograph of Chewbacca, also autographed. They weren't very expensive.

The look of disbelief, surprise and wonder on Troy's face was all i needed to know that he loved the presents. That took care of Father's Day, his Birthday and Christmas the first year ... now it's harder lol.

I was rumaging around in the discontinued lines box at my local grocery store a few months ago and found a Star Wars jigsaw and a collection of original trilogy characher key rings, all boxed up. He got the jigsaw for Fathers day and said "where on earth did you find this?" to which I replied "I have my secret shopping spots", the rest are hidden right under his nose, for Christmas.

Troy also LOVES tigers. Found a gorgeous poster ($10) of a white bengal tiger for his birthday. He has two framed tiger prints already hanging in the house, one a white bengal.

The one thing i've done that was REALLY special was for my Dad's 60th birthday. There's a company down south somewhere that collects all types of newspapers ... some dating back to the 1800's. They have a ginormous collection. I bought a "Sydney Morning Herald" (coz he was born in New South Wales) dated 12/12/1941, had it framed in a special folder and Dad was absolutely blown away, especially when he carefully took the (entire) paper out of its folder and read it from front to back, fascinated at what was going on in the world the day that he came into the world.

I started making jewellery a couple of years ago and made a special pearl necklace for my mum for her birthday. She loved it!

Betty, you say you've used photographs a lot. I've done a page for friends who've gotten married, using a photo from their wedding day, and nice scrapbookking stuff, then had it framed. It's a nice keepsake for them.

Otherwise, I just keep my eye out for unusual (yes, sometimes very tacky and cheap ... but it's the thought that counts!!!) things and they are usually the presents that bring the most joy and excitement.

I'll stop yabbering on now and go update my "blog" on how my dr's visit went.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

I enjoy making a "coupon book." Depending on who it is for the coupons are good for whatever you decide i.e. good for one _________. I made one for my D.O. featuring things such as back rubs, breakfast in bed, etc. You simply taylor it around what the person you are giving it to needs or likes. Typically these are not "expensive" items but have more of the personal touch.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Ahhhh ... yes ... coupon books! Plenty of them around come Valentines Day in the shops.

Found a fun Friendship Book that I gave to Karrissa and her BFF on their respective birthdays this year. It has Friendship Vouchers in it which I thought was pretty cool.

Hmmm ... maybe I should make one up to me from Troy via Santa and fill it with "Good for: one fishing trip in Harbour"; "Good for: one fishing trip out to reef", "Good for: one fishing trip anywhere", "Good for: one 'if I say no you can't go fishing, you can't go' ". LOL ... should I???
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, I've covered his interest in lawn bowls till there is nothing left, and also his occupation, knitted figures, collector's pieces.

Thanks all.

What about what has been your favourite gift?????
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

To be straight up and honest Betty, i'm the worst person to ask about my favourite gift lol.

Every year for my Birthday and Christmas I get asked "what do you want?" and my response for as long as I can remember has been "I don't know".

I've only ever asked for two presents; one was a limited edition Bon Jovi CD set and the other was a particular set of crystal glasses that I had been buying as wedding/engagement/21st b'day presents for years but could not justify buying a set for myself. Unfortunately my ex-hubby has them now. Oh well.

I've never been a really materialistic person. As you saw in my post above, i'm one of those people who gets more joy out of giving gifts to others and seeing the excitment and surprise on their faces.

Hold everything! I just thought of something!

My absolutely favourite gift EVER would be the single purple tulip that Troy and the girls gave me on my first visit to them in Gladstone. I learned later that Troy had spent nearly three days scouring Gladstone for just one tulip (didn't help that they were out of season either!) and he found one a mere two or three hours before I arrived. It's the BEST gift i've EVER received.
Nadia

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I always remember the pink chrysantemum bloom that was tucked under my car windscreen wiper one cold, dark, wet evening when I got out of work. (from hubby, before he was hubby). aaaaahhhhhh.....

Got him a lot of points, that one.
Betty