family

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Polar Bear

family

Post by Polar Bear »

Just when everyone is doing fine ..... we got two bits of news yesterday.

One son has got word he is going 'on tour' again !! To Afghanistan again. He has already done his bit there, and has been to Iraq since.

Another son now living in the USA got struck by a car yesterday while crossing the road, as a pedestrian, on the 'walk' sign. He was thrown over the hood of the car. Police, ambulance, x-rays, ultrasound scan.... thankfully he has only sustained bad bruising and is very sore and stiff. Apparently paperwork for the ambulance had to be signed for before they picked him up. I pray the driver had vehicle insurance to cover these costs, it is not fair that my son could end up having to pay his hospital/ambulance/medical costs. We will talk on the phone in a couple of hours. He says he is fine and for that I am so thankful. It could have been so much worse.

So I guess..... well, lets say, I'm kinda deep in thought today.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Oh Betty, I'm so sorry you and yours are going through all this. Sometimes life is just terrifying, isn't it?

As for your son who was hit by a car - In the US it's the law that all vehicles have liability insurance. If the driver didn't have that, he's still responsible and there can be both civil and criminal penalties. Your son should probably get in touch with a good personal injury attorney. They don't charge fees; they only take a portion of the settlement so there's no risk in talking to one. Those attorneys are cynically known as "ambulance chasers" but they can do a whole lot of good for clients.

I will light a candle for you and your family, and keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thank you Susan.

I have just been talking with my son and he says the ambulance, fire brigade and police were on the scene in less than 2 minutes which was excellent.

The woman drove on 150 yards, stopped her car, and walked back to the scene. She said sorry, and her car shows that it hit a person. The police have her details now we just hope she had insurance. He hasn't been to the police station himself yet, but will get details to pass onto his health insurance provider. But tells us that the fire engine etc. all has to be paid for, and the insurance company will chase the driver for payment and sue if necessary. And he hopes that the hospital he was taken to is covered by his insurance plan.

We don't have this type of issue here in the UK.

thankfully at the moment, he is just thankful his injuries were not too severe, and says it will all sort one way or another. He says there is time enough to think of personal injury damages.

I think he is more keen that the issue of the paperwork etc. for the medical expenses is sorted.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and advices.

And thank you for lighting a candle. I always do this in any church when I am on holiday, regardless of religion/denomination etc.

Thanks again.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Dear Polar Bear: Just to say that I'm sorry to hear about your son having to go back on tour. And your other son's accident. I'm glad he is going to be alright. Nothing as painful to a Mother than when her children are hurt or in danger. I will be thinking about you. Let us know how things turn out. BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

It's the long distance .......... can't put an arm around and get a real hug.
Betty

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I don't know what state this occurred in, but a lot of states require proof of insurance in order to register your vehicle. While it's true that some people will happily drive a car without a license or registration, for most people this means they do have insurance. I'd be pretty optimistic that the driver had some.
Disclaimer: I often talk about what I do and what works for me, but these are specific to me and you should always consult a healthcare professional before trying these things yourself, lest you endanger your health or life.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes A, we are optimisitc. Tho if it was me, I'd be straight to the police to find out. It happened in Oregon.

I phoned a shop in Oregon and ordered a fruit basket and it was delivered within several hours. Isn't gppgle wpmderfiul
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

So many things to worry about...I hope it all turns out.

Per the hospital, even if his insurance has to cover it (because she doesn't have it), and even if the hospital wasn't covered by his insurance plan, his insurance company must pay because it was out of his control as to where he went. So, that's at least one thing he shouldn't have to worry about.

Oregon requires every driver to have insurance, so that should be covered, too, unless she made a mistake and let it lapse recently and they hadn't caught it yet.

A few years ago we were in Montreal, walking home after dinner. We stayed in an apartment that was in a nice residential area. We were crossing the street and for some reason my DH and I were not walking together - he was in front of me. A taxi stopped at the stop sign and then gunned it, heading right toward him. He jumped up on the hood just as the taxi got there, the taxi stopped, and DH was not hurt. I still remember having this furious conversation with the taxi driver - me in English, he in French. He basically said, "He's fine, what are you upset about?" He never apologized or said he was in the wrong. That's what made me so upset...in addition to almost seeing my loved one run over!

I think I was mad for a week :evil:
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hey Ann
taxi9 driver is lucky that your anger didn't deliver a punch in the nose!!! :lol: :x :x :lol:
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

It is amazing how much our care and concern for our loved ones translates into wanting to hurt or maim other people, lol, given the circumstance.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Hey Betty

I'm wishing i'd read this thread before my own now. I feel so selfish!

I'll be keeping you, your DH, and both your sons and their families in my thoughts and prayers.

Your son is alive, albeit with bruises, but it's the memories that will haunt him for a long while.

There are a lot of Aussie's in Afganistan right now. One returned to home soil recently and last week was awarded the Victoria Cross. He drew machine gun fire upon himself when he realised that their Afgan Interpreter had been injured and was out in the open, ran back for him, picked him up and ran back to his patrol under machine gun fire all the way; gave the interpreter first aid, then went back out under fire to support his comrades.

An elderly friend of ours from our church was walking across a pedestrian crossing when she was hit by a speeding car a number of years ago. She was tossed around like a rag doll and spent months in hospital having numerous surgeries to insert plates in her legs, hips, arms and shoulders, repair torn ligaments/tendons. She went through hell, but she said it was the prayers that everyone said for her that meant the most to her and helped with her recovery.

I must admit that when I was in the U.S. back in 2002 for three weeks, I kept praying that nothing would go wrong because I did not want to get caught up in the mayhem that is the U.S. medical system. It was bad enough going through each airport security point wondering if I was going to get hauled aside and my handluggage rummaged through for all the medications (for all of which I had letters from my Dr and signed by a Solicitor).

Forgetting that my hiking boots have a "string" of metal around the sole of the boot for extra strength, I walked through the LAX Domestic with my boots on and when the lights & alarms went off I nearly died because literally everyone turned around to see who had "been caught". The security guards were very nice, and I got the wand passed all over me (forgot about the underwire bra too lol) and then got patted down. Had to take my boots off so they could be checked thoroughly then when all that was done, I walked back through the detector (with my eyes shut as though it would shut my ears too lol) and thankfully ... no alarms ... yay! My boots went through the x-ray with no more problems & since that day I have arrived at every security checkpoint in the world with boots/shoes in hand ... getting some very strange looks on the way .. but i've never been pulled up since.

Sometime's I wish everyone in the world would just lay down their arms for just one day ... and experience what it would be like to have Peace.

Love n hugs to you and your family my dear friend
xoxox
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

sardsy75 wrote: My boots went through the x-ray with no more problems & since that day I have arrived at every security checkpoint in the world with boots/shoes in hand ... getting some very strange looks on the way .. but i've never been pulled up since.

Sometime's I wish everyone in the world would just lay down their arms for just one day ... and experience what it would be like to have Peace.

No funny looks these days. US airports require all shoes to come off anymore. You don't get to walk through with them on.

One day of peace...everywhere. Huh, what a concept.

Managing Your RLS

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

ViewsAskew wrote:
sardsy75 wrote: My boots went through the x-ray with no more problems & since that day I have arrived at every security checkpoint in the world with boots/shoes in hand ... getting some very strange looks on the way .. but i've never been pulled up since.

No funny looks these days. US airports require all shoes to come off anymore. You don't get to walk through with them on.

One day of peace...everywhere. Huh, what a concept.

Here in Oz Land there are still many airports that Don't have the requirement to take shoes off, hence the funny looks. I always end up with a wry smile on my face at the number of people who go through before and after me only to be turned about faced and ordered to take their shoes off. The surprised looks on their faces are sometimes priceless!

Our airport here at home doesn't even have a security checkpoint (go figure!) and everyone walks to the check-in desk, through to the lounge, then out the door to the plane.

Considering the size of the industry and that we are Australia's second largest seaport, I often wonder about the logic behind the lack of security at the airport.

As for the one day of peace ... yes it's an interesting concept ... but it would be nice if we all gave it a try ...
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Yes, bruised son is back at work today, sore and stiff. But needs to get clarification of comments made by doc that on reflection are a bit concerning.

Other boy is awaiting his confirmed dates.

Hey Nadia.......airports can be a nightmare.... security here... I suppose like yourselves... we can't event take a mascara on board.
Betty

Neco

Post by Neco »

Sounds like a good scoop for the local or national news.. You could get famous for uncovering such a lax of security :P