Holy Cow

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
ViewsAskew

Holy Cow

Post by ViewsAskew »

I get this sleep research update - each month I get an email that lists the sleep studies done the prior month. These are what I go through to list the research here about RLS.

Well, one of them was odd, it was about weight. Since weight is a potential problem in people with sleep disorders and I'm fighting with weight, I clicked on it. Now, I'm not sure why it was in there, but I'm sure glad it was.

HOLY COW! For the first time, they PROVED that metabolism changes as a result of calorie reduction and it varies between people. Some people's bodies compensated by changing their metabolism when given a calorie reduced diet. The good news is that with exercise, the body did not adjust. Only the groups who didn't exercise had the compensation.

I hope this spurs more research. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't find out that at least part of the recent increase in obesity in the US is the fascination with diets and that this has much more of an effect that we have ever believed.

Now, problems with sleep are supposed to be related to weight issues, too. It wouldn't surprise me if some of us are hit with a double whammy.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.