5 Years!

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
sardsy75

5 Years!

Post by sardsy75 »

WOW!

Five years to the day since I joined this family ... Where has the time gone?

"Happy Birthday" to all of us who joined the Board in the first few months in 2004; and to those who also helped make it a helpful, comforting and informative place to find help and compassion.

The Board has undergone many changes ... too many to name, others interesting; but i'm glad it's still here.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

it's been an interesting transformation, hasn't it? I joined several months later; at that time, we only had 400 threads on the whole forum. This thread? It's number 6676!

Nadia, your personal thread has something like 30 or 40 pages!

What I notice most is that while things have changed in many ways....they are very much the same. People who are in a miserable place come, find help and understanding and compassion and knowledge....and they find better ways to manage RLS is their lives.

All in all, it's a good thing, then and now.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I am glad both of you joined all those years ago, and that you were there for me to find you. :lol:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

I second that :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

huggles moonlight xx
sleep is not only a dream

Betty/WV

Re: 5 years

Post by Betty/WV »

November 2004, is when I joined. At my age 5 years seems very short. Seems impossible that it has been that long. I sure have learned alot about RLS, and received alot of encouragement. When I first joined I knew so little, except that I was SO miserable and didn't know what to do about it. Thanks to everyone for being there when I needed help so bad.
BETTY/WV :D
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

WAM

Post by WAM »

Hey Nadia...congrats. What I really wanted to say is that I like your avatar. Is that one of those big Austrailian fruit bats?
hee hee.

(Suddenly forgot how to spell Austrailian...or did I?)

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

WAM!~!!! I missed you. Hope you're OK.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hey WAM, great to hear from you again. :)
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Heya WAM :)

Ah ... no ... not an Australian fruit bat.

It's our cat Raven (aka Raven lunatic skitzoid kitty).

She just lurvs bags ... thankyou for the compliment :lol:

Take care of you! xo
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hey Nadia, Good to hear from you too.
Betty

WAM

Post by WAM »

Heya Nadia. Well I don't know if anyone told you but you do gotta watch out for those big bats especially if you've got a kiwi on your head.

Ann(!!) and Betty... Thank You. Great to "see" you. I'm fine.
After all this time, found a decent Neuro who did a biopsy in two places on one leg and FINALLY gave me a diagnosis. Small Fiber Neuropathy (re the chronic pain). I think it's a relatively new procedure. (?) (at least around here) Bad news is the treatment is about the same as I've been taking for the last 3 or so years and it's not working vert well. Seems everyone has some kind of Neuropathy these days.
However....not to hijack Nadia's Thread.
Just thanks for the greeting.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Oh WAM ... I dont care if you hijack the thread lol.

You've been off the radar longer than I have (I think), so it's nice to see you typing about the place again :)

So good to hear that you've finally found the medical help you were seeking ... and to get a diagnosis as well! Keep a tab on that Dr!

Take care of you mate xo

P.S. It's the "Drop Bear's" ya gotta look out for around here ... :P
Nadia

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

WAM, is the neuro also treating the RLS?

It makes sense that small fiber neuropathy was the cause of the foot pain. I imagine that quite a few people with RLS also have that - or only have that - and the doctor's have missed the neuropathy part. And, it also makes sense that you had good luck with the Lyrica (do I have that right? ).

Managing Your RLS

WAM

Post by WAM »

Ann....(five years later) Yes. He is treating both and yes I'm on 600 mg of Lyrica. He didn't change that. He tried Cimbalta on me but it pretty well put me out of circulation for a day so blech. Done with that.

Lyrica and Klonopin have been keeping my RLS pretty quiet...flare up now and then but most the time I can sit still. It's two entirely different things...RLS and Neuropathy. I know you know that but I wanted to tell you that the RLS sensations are not painful...just tormenting and in my thighs and arms.

Anyway. I'm glad for the diagnosis but I hope we move faster towards the cure.

He said the biopsy test was a couple years new. Maybe that's why the other Neurologist didn't do it, I don't know. Maybe he didn't care. Anyhoo...sorry again Nadia for using your Thread to discuss my problem, I didn't want to be ruder to Ann than I already was by waiting even longer to answer.

But...now that you've mentioned it. I think I joined in '04 too. Maybe in August. I started with my real name as my uh...identity (whatever) but then changed it. Ruby said she thought I was a whiner when I first started posting. hah. She was right. Where's Ruby?

The end.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

A whiner, huh? Too funny. Ruby seems to be pretty busy and isn't here too often. Hopefully she'll feel her ears ringing and show up soon.

I was '04, too, but not until October.

Managing Your RLS