What a great weekend in the midwest US

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
ViewsAskew

What a great weekend in the midwest US

Post by ViewsAskew »

Gosh, we've had the best weather for the last week. Truly gorgeous spring weather. I spent all day out in the "yard" (the deck of the condo), planting Earthboxes and other self-watering containers, cleaning the table and chairs, moving the stuff around for a new arrangement, etc.

Not sure if anyone else likes to garden, but I am so happy to say that if you do and you find yourself without yard, all is well (at least for me). Containers work unbelievable well! This year I am growing:

multiple varieties of lettuce
Swiss chard
spinach
two kinds of okra
4 kinds of tomatoes
green beans
lima beans
choy sum
Gai lohn
multiple types of basil
thyme
savory
chives
mint
several types of flowers, including sunflowers

It's not for everyone, but I sure love it. My grandfather spaded a garden for me when I was three; I planted the seeds by just throwing them at the ground, lol. It started out as flowers, he did the veggies. Over the years, I learned how to help him, too.

For many years I was in places where I couldn't garden. Then I had a lot of space - about an acre - that I could devote to growing things. When I moved to the city I thought I'd lose that again. It's just wonderful to have it for me.

Each morning, I get up and head straight to the deck - in my bathrobe! I check on my plants, see how they are doing. It's so peaceful and such a wonderful way to spend a moment. In the evening, it's nice to go out there and sit on the deck, watching the sun go down while looking at downtown and being in my own little private place.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

WAM

Post by WAM »

Awesome week and weekend here. Ann, your garden and view sounds great. Always wanted to try living in the city.

We've been putting out stuff too, blackberries, a pear tree, two tomato plants and Tami got a mess of flowers for the front and the deck. She put some out and saved the rest so Olivia, our grandbaby who's three can help. She's got her own yard tools she keeps in a bucket here, it's really cute.

Anyway, the grapes are starting to bud out really nice. We brought back a plant from the rocky shore when we went to Rhode Is. and Maine. Picked it and put it in a wet paper towel. Rosa Ragussi...something like that and it made the trip in the trunk, looked like it was dead last year but this year...there's leaves. Nice. They call it the "Beach Rose" or "Tomato" something like that.

Have a great weekend.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

You know, WAM, I just love the city. And, I just love the country. Not so sure about the suburbs, lol.

I don't know why I love our little deck so much. It's private, sort of, but it opens to the world, so we can feel like we're in a cocoon while on it, but looking out at the twinkling city.

On the fourth of July, from our deck, we can see fireworks going off in many, many places, all at the same time. They are distant - some probably 30 miles away to the west. They are tiny. Others are larger and closer. In all three directions (to the east is the lake), it's like a magical backdrop.

Olivia having her own gardening tools is soooooo cute! I honestly think that my grandfather working with me to garden is one of my favorite memories. I hope it is so for Olivia, too.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My father was an avid gardener and brought everything on from seed. He encouraged me and I just love my garden, At the front we have all annuals, many different hostas, ferns, roses, low growing ground covering firs, lupins, london pride, camelia. Tubs of pansies which at the minute are a riot of colour.

At the back we are all patio with two apple trees and a plum tree, 2 fabulous climbing roses over the garage wall, lots of tubs with cape daisies, pansies, various herbs, and I have four hanging baskets ready to by hung out this week. Clematis over a back wall. Ivy over another wall.

Sweet pea has to be one of my favourite flowers, but I never seem to find the right spot for it, it is never as good as my dad's was. After I left home, each time I visited him I left with armfuls of cut flowers, dahlias, sweet pea, gladioli.

We are just about to hose down our patio and get the summer furniture into place and out of the garage.

Can't wait.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

Its decent whether here, but we had warm days then cold the next, warm, cold, ugh.. rain clouds still lingering the past few days but the sun has been out..

It's been a pain in the ****.. Because when the tempurature shifts suddenly like that, I REALLY feel my RLS on the cold days :cry:

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

We had a high of 98 degrees the other day and 90 something the next day. Too hot, too soon for me! But the last few days have been glorious. I got some new rosebushes planted in my rosegarden, and dh spread out the cocoa bean mulch over the garden as well. The roses are my only really successful attempts at gardening, though. I'm a total brown thumb otherwise. We bought a hibiscus tree and it has already shriveled up and died. :(

We seriously need rain around here, though. Our lake is down about 5 feet
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

98!!!!! Wow, that's hot for May where you are.

Our warmest day was low 80's (Fahrenheit). Mostly, we've had 70's this week, with two dips into the 60's. It's a bit chilly tonight, so I moved my newly transplanted okra off the deck an into the nearest room (it's sleeping by my bed, lol).

I have the door open right now; it's chilly, in the 50's, but I love the cool nights and warmish days. Like you, Susan, 98 is much too warm for me. Highs of about 75 with lows of 55 are nirvana.

Managing Your RLS

WAM

Post by WAM »

Is it going to rain again tomorrow?
Tired of rain. Our woodpile is soaked.
I guess we can't complain. In two weeks, the cool weather will be gone til September.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

WAM, I keep saying I think we're in London! It's certainly not Chicago. I lost my okra plants last week to the cold, wet weather. I keep saying I'll replant them, but it's freakin cold!!!!!

But, it was sunny this afternoon....

Managing Your RLS

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

You are all lucky, nothing but rain and thunderstorms here in VA. I managed to mow the lawn on the one day it didn't rain and it was still wet. Glad I did, otherwise it would be a jungle by now.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yeah, that sun was gone within hours to be replaced by ..... yep, RAIN! Started last night and still going.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Here in N.I. it is around 17 celsius (I think you double that and add 30 ?? equals 64 ??) Tomorrow evening I have a 60th birthday party. We will just be happy if the rain stays away so we can spill onto the patio, wrapped up, otherwise its going to be kinda crowded :roll:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Still raining....and about 55F at 5 PM. It's the middle of June!!!!!

Managing Your RLS