Car

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Polar Bear

Car

Post by Polar Bear »

Over recent weeks my car has had an intermittent fault where the power steering fails and the EPS light comes on, the driving of course is extremely heavy. If I switched the engine off and on the fault was temporarily resolved. Sometimes it wouldn't happen for several days and sometimes it could occur 5 times within driving a mile.

This used to be my husband's car and when he got a new car six months ago I took his car and we used my smaller one as a trade in. Here in UK our cars legally have to undergo an annual MOT test once they are 4 years old. Hubby's car (now my car) did it's first MOT just before it passed to me and he unfortunately had to spend £1,100 on it.

Today my car went into the dealership for a diagnostic check with regard to the power steering fault. I reckoned (hoped) I may have to pay around £200 - 300.

Aaaggghhhh..... New steering column plus.. plus... needed, totalling around £1,000. This would mean £2,100 had been spent on it within six months, over and above normal running costs. No faith left in the vehicle at all. My husband feels so bad for me because it was his idea that I should take his car.

Off the top of my head, totally surprising myself, and also hubby and son who were with me, I asked what they could offer with regard to a trade-in. I normally suss out everywhere before making such a decision.

A quick family chat, a test drive, the deal was done, went and sorted insurance and bank, and 5 hours later I picked up my new car with only 24 miles on the clock. Its a smaller car, lower insurance group, easy on fuel. Son says its a 'granny-mobile'. Hubby has a much bigger car and at weekends etc my car is never used.

Which goes to show sometimes your day doesn't go as planned.

And there are no pockets in a shroud. :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

How fun to have things work out like that.

Enjoy your granny mobile, lol.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

ViewsAskew wrote:How fun to have things work out like that.

Enjoy your granny mobile, lol.

And that new car smell !!

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Congrats on the new car, PB. I hope it behaves better than the old one!

And there are no pockets in a shroud.

Huh?
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi Susan,
a 'shroud' is a cloth wrapping which a body may be wrapped in when in a coffin/casket. A shroud doesn't have any pockets, therefore you can't take your money with you once you die, so may as well spend it.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Thanks for explaining. I'd never heard that expression before. Here in the states we say "you can't take it with you."
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Or as hubby would say.... spending the kid's inheritance :)
Betty