Has anyone seen any good movies lately?

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
SquirmingSusan

Has anyone seen any good movies lately?

Post by SquirmingSusan »

My family went to see Avatar 3D on Monday. It was awesome, but it made me violently sick. I couldn't figure out why I was suddenly drenched in sweat and resisting the urge to hurl into the popcorn bucket. I mentally ran through all my various bizarre conditions and their associated medications before I figure out to just take off the 3D glasses. :roll: I also couldn't figure out why anyone would want to watch it in 2D until afterward.

Spectacular graphics, though. Just bring motion sickness meds if you have issues that way.

I'd like to see "The Blind Side." There was a thing on 20/20 last night about the story behind the movie.
Susan

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Valkyrie

I know it's a couple years old, but I just saw it recently and really liked it. Even better, the History channel ran a 2 hr show on it shortly after I saw the movie so I got an even deeper background on the story.

Star Trek (also a year old)

I'm a long time Trekkie though, even went to a convention once and saw James Doohan (Scottie). I had planned on attending another that William Shatner (Captain Kirk) was to appear. Sadly, my employer sent me on an emergency business trip the day before.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

We've seen some really good movies this year, but I haven't a clue what they are...I TIVO things that sound good and we watch them when we have time.

One of my favorites that we saw this year was filmed two-three years ago, I believe, and is called Born into Brothels. It's a documentary, not a traditional movie, and is guaranteed to tug at your indignation and heartstrings.

Susan, I get extreme motion sickness and can't watch any 3D stuff. My BIL films in 3D and is always sending us clips....I don't watch them or watch them without the glasses. The whole family thinks I'm weird. I was let down when I heard Avatar was in 3D; I know I won't go.

Wayne, Valkyrie sounds so familiar....guess I need to go look it up and see if I saw it.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

ViewsAskew wrote:Wayne, Valkyrie sounds so familiar....guess I need to go look it up and see if I saw it.

It's a movie about the plot to assassinate Hitler based on the real story. Stars Tom Cruise

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Funny you should mention Star Trek, Wayne. My kids and I just watched it at home last night. Fun movie. The guy who played young captain Kirk did a great job on attitude and mannerisms.

Ann, Avatar 2D is also in theaters now, for those of us who have issues.
Susan

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

I'll agree!

Star Trek was the best movie we've seen in a long time. Never been a real Trekkie, but I did watch the old series when I was a kid and loved it.

I'm also a "Heros" fan, so seeing "Sylar" as Spock took some getting used to... But I still found the movie to be very exciting.
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Just watched Valkyrie tonight which was good.

Last night went to the movies to see Edge of Darkness, Mel Gibson and Ray Winstone. It had mixed reviews but we both fancied it and weren't disappointed. Love Ray Winstone in anything..... and the Mel Gibson character pulled at the emotions.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

At Christmas my little granddaughter (2 yrs) and I watched part of Mary Poppins... I so thoroughly enjoyed it.... seen through the eyes of a toddler.

Just bought Jungle Book. I'm going to check out the Charity Shops for Mary Poppins, 101 Dalmations, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory etc etc. And if no luck will order from Amazon. I can't wait :lol:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Scarlett46

Post by Scarlett46 »

Mary Poppins is one of my favorite childrens movies. My daughter is 12 years old now, but we still sing the songs together. (She acts like I'm the goofy one, but she still likes it too.) :lol:
"After all... Tomorrow is another day!"

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My mom and I watched the Grinch Who Stole Christmas (the original, narrated by Boris Karlov) until I left home in my twenties...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Neco

Post by Neco »

re: Valkryie..

"Real Story" + Hollywood ++ Tom Cruise == Oxymoron

:wink:

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Zach wrote:re: Valkryie..

"Real Story" + Hollywood ++ Tom Cruise == Oxymoron

:wink:

Still a compelling story though whether you like Tom Cruise or not.

Recently I saw Terminator Salvation. Liked that one also. Had to smile when I saw the (much younger) CG generated Schwarznegger Terminator step off the line. You only saw the face for a few minutes before he was shot and burned up the face.

Brought back memories of my younger days when I saw the original Terminator in a theater as a college student in a late-night showing. Also saw "Revenge of the Nerds" earlier that same night. Ah to be young again.

Neco

Post by Neco »

I saw Salvation recently as well.. It was OK to kill some time, but it was another let down like T3.. It's just too much I think. You can't top Terminator 2, some things are best left unfinished. Especially if you can't do them right, I mean why would you outsource what is essentially, one of your most profitable babies/franchises - responsible for the majority of your name recognition... Why would you outsource such a project?

I dunno... I just find it hard to be care about Hollywood movies anymore these days.. Maybe its just me getting older.. On the other hand, I watch a lot of Anime, be it TV series or stand alone movies. I find them a lot more satisfying for some reason.