Husband is in hospital

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
SquirmingSusan

Husband is in hospital

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi all,
I had to call an ambulance for my husband this morning. He passed out twice and hit the floor. Of course so many things go crash in our house that I didn't think much about it until my daughter came and asked me what was wrong with dad. He was blaming it all on his vagas nerve problem, which has sent him to the ER before. But he really looked bad and I called an ambulance.

Long story short, he's in the ICU with large blood clots in both lungs, and will be there for 5 days or so. He's had issues before, but for some reason they took him off coumadin. Well, he's back on it now.

Just to let you know that I may not be hanging around here much for the next few days.
Susan

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Susan, I am so sorry that your husband is ill and wish you and your family well, and your husband a speedy recovery.

Take care.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Susan - Oh My! That must have been terrifying. I am glad they found the problem and that it sounds like there is a solution, though I imagine it's not quite that easy and they have to be very careful.

We'll miss you, hold you in our thoughts, and know you'll be back soon.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

He was out of ICU and into a regular room yesterday, and is home today. The doctor said that it will take 2-3 months for him to fully recover, and that the drugs don't dissolve the clots; the body itself dissolves the clots. He's rather out of breath, but feeling relatively well compared to the other day. Now if he'll just behave himself and quit coming down with deadly conditions. First the leukemia and now this...

OK, things should be back to the normal chaos around here. Thanks for thinking of me.
Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

My aunt had the same thing happen last winter. It did indeed take several months before she was better.

I am glad he's home and that normal chaos has resumed instead. That must feel a bit better.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

kickyknees

Post by kickyknees »

Susan, so sorry for what must have been terrifying for you both. I once mentioned that my daughter has Lupus, and at age 36, just a few months ago had difficulty breathing. Long story short--to the dr. office where he told her she was going straight into the hospital where she spent the next 5 days with 2 blood clots, one each lung and one in her leg. She's on coumadin for what is expected to be at least 9 months, possibly longer. I had not heard that about the clots dissolving on their own but I will check into it because nobody should have to take, essentially, rat poison. My best wishes for his quick recovery and your holding up through it.