Hearing ?? (or not)

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Polar Bear

Hearing ?? (or not)

Post by Polar Bear »

I am going to see my doc next week and ask will he refer me for a hearing test.

Over the past year or so I have noticed that I am asking people to repeat themselves, and in particular my hubby who speaks very softly. On mentioning this to my friend about 6 months ago, she replied that most people who are hard of hearing accuse others of mumbling.

This christmas my son has been visiting for 3 weeks, we hadn't seen him for over 2 years - its a long way from Oregon to UK.

2 weeks into the visit my son says.... Mum.. do you have a problem with your hearing.... do you realise how often you don't respond. ????

I had been aware that I wasn't picking up every word. (and thought people were mumbling) .... but I reckon that 2 years absence has made it more than obvious to my son. He says that it is particularly noticable if I am not facing the person who is speaking.

Ah well..... another wheel getting loose on the wagon...

Has anyone else been in this position, i.e. wondering if it is their hearing that is the problem, or is it that others do not speak clearly,
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Polar Bear: As to hearing, my husband and I both have the same problem. We are always accusing each other of mumbling. I have to repeat everything I say to him, and sometimes I get so irritated, but I have the same problem unless I am looking right at him. ( we are both in our 70's.) He worked in a steel mill for 38 years, and it is extremely noisy in a steel mill so it isn't any wonder his hearing has been affected. I guess we should have our hearing checked, but ones I know who have hearing aids don't hear any better.

I liked your saying "Oh, well, one more wheel off the wagon". It really fits us as we age.

BETTY/WV :roll: :roll:
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I reckon a hearing test would at least confirm the position. And take it from there.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hearing test is a good idea.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ninjabill

Post by ninjabill »

I've worked in a factory for 14 years. It's not like, extermely loud but it can be noisey. I have had anual hearing tests through work for the past 5 years. Supposedly I have good hearing with very very little loss but I sometimes have to ask for a repeat. Have it checked I say.