Bleh..

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Neco

Bleh..

Post by Neco »

I've been sick for an entire month. Literally 30 days as of Today..

It started with a soar throat, congestion, stomach upset, and a fever.. So I sent my boss a text I was really bad and wouldn't be in.. I never had a fever like that in my life, I woke up a few times and wasn't even sure what day of the week it was..

After that mostly cleared up, I was left with a chronic cough, and coughing up stuff from time to time.. I kept getting better and then getting worse in a repeating cycle.. Missed 2 weeks of pay from my weekday job because of it.. Somehow managed to push through on the weekends with my merchandising, which was good because I needed every penny I could get (and still do).

I kept thinking about going to the doctor but finally today I did because I woke up and coughed up the usual stuff, but it was a different color.. I thought it might be blood or something because it was kind of reddish/brown like you sometimes see when you get blood from blowing your nose with a bad cold that dries out your sinuses.

Luckily they had an opening in 15 minutes, so I took it and drove over. Doctor said it was probably bronchitis :( I've never had it before, but I'm a smoker so I am hoping that is what it is.. I've got some antibiotics I have to take for 5 days, but they will work for 10.

The pharmacist said bronchitis was really bad this year, and they have sold more of the antibiotic than anything else.

I just hope I will finally get better and stop feeling like crap.. It's cost me money from work, I'm constantly tired/fatigued, and I've been trying to work on programming a Text game I've been wanting to make for a while now. Wish I had a netbook or something, at least I could program from bed :roll:

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Oh Zach, you do have my sympathy.

Our household has all suffered since Christmastime.
In particular my son and D-in-law were home for 3 weeks from Oregon and dil took the flu..... but such as I've never seen before, and cos of her temperature and sweating we had to move her from bed.. to another bed...to another bed.... so we could change and air the beds. She was staggering as we propped her up. Coughing, sore throat, pulled muscle in back from coughing... Antibiotics, paracaetamol and ibuprofen. And sponging down to reduce temperature. Such an awful way to spend an pretty expensive vacation.

Here in NI medics have been saying they have never seen a winter like it for flu and infections.

None of this helps you feel any better, but just to let you know you are not alone.

Here's hoping that in a couple of days when your antibiotics kick in, that you feel the benefit.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Neco

Post by Neco »

But why would they giver her antibiotics for the flu? The flu is a viral infection, and antibiotics don't work for viruses :?

But glad I am not her, I guess... that sucks. Hope she is doing better now

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I used to get bronchitis all the time; it really sucked! I haven't had it since I was in college, fortunately. I know how sick you feel, though. It's nasty.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I think the antibiotics were because her cough was so severe and unrelenting they felt there was infection. And before she was fully recovered (in order to visit her folks who were vacationing in the UK mainland) she had to take a flight to Heathrow followed by a 5 hour trian journey. - total relapse.- back to bed for a week. And yes, she is fine now.

So take care Zach, its a treacherous condition just waiting to catch you second time around.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

badnights

Post by badnights »

oh Zach that sucks. What do you mean you have to take the antibiotics for 5 days but they will work for 10? Don't you get a 10-day supply and get commanded to take them all?

I lost two weeks to pneumonia, which was a bolt out of the blue, and two weeks of sweating and coughing was enough, I didn't even have a fever; you must feel AWFUL. Maybe go to the doctor sooner next time. Get better NOW :wink:

Are the antibiotics making your EKD worse?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

When taking antibiotics it takes a couple of days before they start to work...... so possibly it is a 5 day supply but they will continue to 'do their work' for 10 days.
Betty

Neco

Post by Neco »

The brand name is Zpak, I'm not sure how it works, but the doctor said you take it for 5 days and it will continue to work for another 5 days.. I guess it builds up in your system.

I haven't noticed any problems with it aggravating me, but maybe the Methadone is helping to mask that too. I feel so dumb too, I was sitting there in the office with my doctor and forgot to bring up the RLS name change.