Help

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Laurachrissy

Help

Post by Laurachrissy »

The Dermatologist said it's Alopecia, administered cortisone in my head and said it's not stress related or drug related and I may lose more hair. He said the reason is still unknown but it could be autoimmune..
Does anybody know anything about Alopecia Areata?
Anybody have any advise or reassurance?
Last edited by Laurachrissy on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
RLS sux

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Laura, you didn't ask for this type of advice and probably have already thought of it. Can you see a GP and ask him/her to run some more tests for you? There are several markers that can show for autoimmunes - elevated liver function in one that often shows up. I'd also suggest seeing another dermatologist and making sure that it is indeed alopecia areata. This type of alopecia tends to cause loss in round patches. If the loss is more scattered, it may not be alopecia areata.

What I know about alopecia may not be reassuring...but, here goes. I've known five people with autoimmune disorders (husband, best friend, step-son, co-worker, and another fried), so what I know is related to them and the bit of reading I've done related to understanding what is happening to them. Two of these people have had alopecia areata.

Autoimmune disorders often run in clusters and alopecia is sometimes connected with celiac, Hashimotos, vitiligo, and others. The reason I mention celiac specifically is because it is connected with RLS and you have RLS. 35% of undiagnosed celiac patients have RLS.

It's not a for-sure connection to celiac in the least, but 97% of celiacs are undiagnosed and many are symptom free. Of those with symptoms, there are over 200 extremely varied symptoms, so it's difficult to diagnose. Time to diagnosis from first seeing a doctor for symptoms averages 8-12 years.

Of the people I know who've had alopecia, the disease went into remission when the other disorders were addressed. For both, the bigger issue was the celiac for one and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis for the other.

I can imagine that this is a shock, to say the least. I hope you can find a way to get information sooner, rather than later.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Laurachrissy

Post by Laurachrissy »

The GP ran the cbc, tsh, and chem 7. The nurse at my Immunologist's office said she believed it really is Alopecia Areata but she thinks the Requip uppage along with my estrogen could be the culprit. My Rheumatologist ran blood test two years ago and my ana, crp and all that stuff came back negative.
Last edited by Laurachrissy on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
RLS sux

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Psychological stress did not affect it, but stress to their bodies from the other undiagnosed autoimmune disorders did.

2 years ago is a long time for tests. Autoimmunes can show up very suddenly.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

This is traumatic for you, but you know better than to stop all your medications at once. Most especially the Requip: the EKD will almost surely get worse for 1-2 weeks after you stop. I think it might be best if you don't do (or stop) anything for one or two days. USe the time to make a plan.

I had a friend years ago who had Alopecia. I was the one who noticed it, when the wind was blowing her hair. I forget the details but her hair grew back and all was good.

Laurachrissy

Post by Laurachrissy »

Thanks ladies....I will try to remain calm. I will wait patiently on the dr.; put this out of my mind and take my normal dosage of Requip and ERT.
The waiting is the hardest part.
Hey, Every1 have a gr8 weekend :wink:
RLS sux

badnights

Post by badnights »

you too! :lol: