smeary wooden table top

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Polar Bear

smeary wooden table top

Post by Polar Bear »

I have a wooden table that is in everyday use. It has a rustic finish of woodknots and flaws to look like old wood. There is a finish of some sort on this wood but it is not high gloss. I don't know what type of wood it is, most probably some cheap wood and stained up.

My problem is that while the table top has remained in good condition in that it is not marked or scored, it has a patchy dull smeary look on it.

I used to polish it with Mr Sheen.

I have tried a damp wipe which was a very quick wipe with a damp cloth and then a fast buff with a dry cloth. No matter what way you look at the table top you can see smear marks where I have wiped it.

I have tried using wood soap to take off any build up of Mr Sheen and then buffing it, which made no difference.

Somewhere on the internet I read to try cleaning the surface with turpentine !! but I'm afraid to try this.

I don't want to refinish the table top, just to get rid of the smeary dull shadowy streaks.

Does anyone have any ideas
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hmmm - wish I did. I haven't a clue.

Since we moved into this old house, I've been trying to find something I can use on the doors that doesn't require stripping and refinishing....no luck yet :-(.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

A friend of mine got stuff for doors. Uses two coats. First coat paint on and leave to dry. Second coat paint on and use the comb (supplied) to drag through the second coat and create wood grain. It was not a difficult task. It looked ok when done but if it later chipped it looked a mess.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've read of this stuff: http://www.formbys.com/products/refinisher.cfm and this stuff http://www.formbys.com/products/face_lift.cfm

I have no idea if either work or are available in Northern Ireland...

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I know nothing about that kind of stuff, unfortunately
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I googled for Formby's Furniture Face Lift and found that it hasn't been made for some years.
This is the sort of thing that I am looking for.

Thanks, I'll keep looking :)
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:I googled for Formby's Furniture Face Lift and found that it hasn't been made for some years.
This is the sort of thing that I am looking for.

Thanks, I'll keep looking :)

That figures...and explains why I haven't seen it. Grrrr.

Managing Your RLS

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Heloise from Good Housekeeping covered this recently. I think she said to use vinegar to remove the polish build-up, but definitely look it up to get details before you try anything!
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Vinegar sounds a lot less intrusive that turpentine.

I reckon we could have a try with that.

On reflection, I think that perhaps I might have given the table a quick clean with a baby wipe... which may have oil on it. .. hence the smears... its a possibility.
Betty

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

The vinegar didn't remove the smears either.

http://www.rustins.eu/Details.asp?ProductID=808
I went to an old fashioned hardware store and they told me to try Rustins Surface Cleaner. It was excellent. And I followed it up with Rustins Reviver. About $10 for both. It was just what I needed. Yeaahh.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That is wonderful news! Now, if I could only find something for my 100 year old doors....

Managing Your RLS

xristina47

Post by xristina47 »

Ann – for your old wooden doors, it depends on how they have been treated before. If they have been waxed, you could try several coats of tinted wax which imparts a richer colour as well as a shine. You rub down between coats with very fine wire wool, then buff up at the end with a soft cloth. If the wood looks dry and thirsty, as if all previous treatments have long since faded away, you could either brush on several coats of linseed oil or you could apply two or three coats of tinted varnish. You should sand down the doors with very fine sandpaper before varnishing and remove the dust with a clean rag and white spirit. Sand and dust down again between each coat of varnish. I’ve used all three techniques in my house and all are successful, but the tinted varnish is particularly good looking and long lasting for doors. Tinted wax is great on furniture. Linseed oil is good on floors.

Hope that helps.

Yippee – I slept 8 hours last night – what a rare treat!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Was that 8 hours sleep all in one block.
8 hours brilliant...............
if all in one block..... that would leave me speechless :)
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

xristina47 wrote:Ann – for your old wooden doors, it depends on how they have been treated before. If they have been waxed, you could try several coats of tinted wax which imparts a richer colour as well as a shine. You rub down between coats with very fine wire wool, then buff up at the end with a soft cloth. If the wood looks dry and thirsty, as if all previous treatments have long since faded away, you could either brush on several coats of linseed oil or you could apply two or three coats of tinted varnish. You should sand down the doors with very fine sandpaper before varnishing and remove the dust with a clean rag and white spirit. Sand and dust down again between each coat of varnish. I’ve used all three techniques in my house and all are successful, but the tinted varnish is particularly good looking and long lasting for doors. Tinted wax is great on furniture. Linseed oil is good on floors.

Hope that helps.

Yippee – I slept 8 hours last night – what a rare treat!

Yeah, it's the sanding part I'm trying to avoid, lol. I want something easy :-). But, they really could use complete stripping...

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Don't know what it costs but I know of folks who have had their metal gates 'dipped' to be stripped. It would save a lot of labour if this could be done for wooden doors. And with doors at 100 years old it would be nice to keep them in a perfect state.
Betty