Zeo sleep coach - sensors hurt. wHy?

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
badnights

Zeo sleep coach - sensors hurt. wHy?

Post by badnights »

Does anyone else with a Zeo get marks and pain from the sensors?

I used my new Zeo for two nights (three but it fell off the first night). The first night of data collection, it was too tight. The second night it felt fine. But I had marks on my forehead the entire next day (from theleft and right sensors, not the center one) and when I touched the marks (sqaure bumps the shape of the sensors), they hurt like I'd been bruised or damaged in some way.

I took a night off, and now it's evening, 36 hours or so since I last had the headband on, and those marks are still there - little red bumps now, and still hurt when I touch them, though not as badly.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any idea how to prevent it ? Who knows what my forehead would be like after 30 continuous nights of that!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Do you sleep on your stomach? Sometimes when I have my head buried in the pillow I will have a mark on my forehead when I take it off. Also, if I am dehydrated the marks are worse.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

Re-read your post and I would contact the Zeo people about the little red bumps. You might be sensitive to an ingredient in the coating, or it may be as simple as your sweat pores being blocked because the band was too tight. If you do try it again, make sure you have your hair out of the band. If I don't do that it's on a bit tight and will fall off eventually during the night.
Tracy

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the WED/RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I've carried on using it and some nights the marks are worse. If I put it up near the hairline it's not as bad. Zeo's response was

"a dermatologist has advised that there is a small percentage of people who may experience acne (“acne mechanica”) from the contact and friction of wearing anything on the head or face, even if they do not normally experience acne. He advised that loosening the headband may alleviate it. Additionally, a small percentage of people may experience irritation.

If you are experiencing either of these and loosening the headband does not help, Zeo may not be for you."

It doesn't seem like acne, I get sore red raised marks in the shape of the sensors, and on bad days they last all day. Lucky my hair hangs over my forehead. They only hurt if I touch them.

I decided to keep it anyway. EVen if I stop using it to collect data, it'll be a good alarm , I like the gradually increasing volume.
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Chipmunk

Post by Chipmunk »

I think acne is any kind of bumps. I used to get acne rosacea (not from the Zeo - long before that) and they were little red bumps as well. I'm sorry to hear that your skin doesn't like the Zeo. :-(
Tracy

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Beth, I get dents from it and they can be quite tender. And I have to wear it about an inch off center to the left if it's to read my sleep phases at all, and even then it doesn't always read me. I could never wear it every night because of the indents in my head, LOL. I just don't like them and the way they look. :? But I do put it on every now and again, just to see what kind of sleep I'm getting with the Xyrem. Like the other night when I accidentally double-dosed myself. I had drunk about 2/3rds of the dose and realized that it was way stronger than normal. The Zeo showed another 2-3 whole hours of deep sleep!
Susan

badnights

Post by badnights »

I only get 30-40 min of deep sleep according to the zeo (except for the first night I used it when I got 1.5 hr). Maybe that's why I still feel tired when I get 7 hr sleep.

(Poor PB, Betty /WV, carolsond, and others; 7 hr with 30 min deep would seem like heaven!)