Live life to the full

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Polar Bear

Live life to the full

Post by Polar Bear »

Yesterday my neighbour slipped on the bottom two steps of her staircase, fell and knocked her head, she was unconscious. Rushed to hospital by ambulance and found to have a fractured skull and a bleed in the head/brain. They cannot stop the bleeding and her husband has been told to expect the worst, in maybe hours. Whther the fall caused the bleed or vice versa is not yet clear.

This is a very fit lady in her 60s. Walking every day. Fabulous neighbours. We live in a cul de sac of around 12 houses and have a slight incline. During our very bad (for us) recent winters they were out at 7am with broad pieces of ply wood and clearing tracks in the snow up the hill so everyone could do their best to get their cars up the hill and get to work.

They did this for the rest of us without thought of benefit because as they are retired it was of no great importance to them.

My thoughts are with them over this next day or so.

And for the rest of us who are suffering, lets do our best to deal with our horrible symptoms and make the most of what we have and live life to the full as best we can.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

We just never know what life will bring next, do we? Your message hit home as I am sitting here feeling sorry for myself because I don't feel good. I llike to think of myself as living life to the fullest but it hasn't been happening lately. I'm too full of fear instead; what if I get laughed at, yelled at, ignored.... Thanks for the message and I pray for healing all around.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ruby,

I know what you mean when you say you like to 'think' that you live life to the full. I'm the same in that sometimes it can take considerable effort to make the best of a situation, maybe more effort than it seems we can manage.

Why do you think you might get laughed at, yelled at or ignored? you are so full of goodwill and understanding for others. Is it possible that we sometimes undervalue ourselves.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to go work on that right now.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

:lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
Yeeeaaaahhhhh
Betty

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I don't mean to make this thread about me but Polar Bear, I am one of the least confident people ever. I hate having people mad at me or have conflict although I will stand my ground when I thing I'm right. I can no longer just sit and do something I like to do (like read) because I feel guilty that I am not doing something constructive. My heart tells me that posting on here now is a good thing but my head tells me I should be cleaning the toilet (or something). I worry constantly about what others think of me. I'm just strange and getting stranger!
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Ruby, I totally get what you are saying.
I cannot bear conflict of any sort, however if I am really really pushed and someone makes me really really angry, in particular if my integrity would be questioned !!!! watch out.

I once threw a shorthand notepad at an employer as he sat at his desk. He was a horrible man, a headmaster, and everyone including the teaching staff, vice principal etc. had no respect for him whatsoever. He accused me of not doing something when I truely had done it. The notepad bounced off the wall behind his head. For whatever reason he did not fire me, or even request an apology.

As for what others think of me, as I get older I find it doesn't matter just as much.

A book that was recommended was 'The Worry Cure - Stop Worrying and Start Living' by Dr Robert L Leahy. It might even have been somewhere on this site. I bought a used copy from Amazon and found the book to be quite liberating. It is definitely worth a read.
Betty

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My neighbour, Shirley never regained consiousness and was pronounced dead yesterday, having been on life support for 3 days. She had signed the organ donor register and the Harvest Team have told her husband that her organs will help 7 people.

The cause of her death - she slipped on the bottom two steps of her staircase, hit her head on the bannister which caused a skull fracture. A tiny piece of bone behind her ear pierced her brain causing a bleed which could not be stopped.

So many cliche sayings come to mind:
You never know the minute.
You never know the day.
You never know what is around the corner.
Betty

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I am so sorry to hear that. You are right, you just never know. Take care, my friend and thanks for letting me know.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

How wonderful that her organs will help seven people. She was a generous person.

My condolences to you, PB; I'm sure you will miss her.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Re: Live life to the full

Post by Polar Bear »

While perusing the newly adjusted Discussion Board/topics (Thanks Viewsaskew)
I came across this thread of mine from about 5 months ago.

And it is again very appropriate.

I can't recall if I've talked about this before and if I have please excuse me.
My dear dear sister in law, S, has been diagnosed with melanoma cancer in her left breast/lymph nodes
under her left arm, and within her chest wall.

The initial appointment with the surgeon was within 2 days of her attendance with her GP which impressed us
and we thought that our NHS system here in the UK can pull out the stops when it needs to.

At that appointment some tests were done and it was quickly realised that this was not 'just' breast cancer,
but it was melanoma cancer. Since then we have learned so much. Many tests followed, xrays, MRIs, CAT scan,
PET scan, and in a few days there is to be a bone scan. An appointment yesterday with the Surgeon revealed that
other tests are now required - ENT and gynacological. A plastic surgeon and an oncologist are also involved and
there are regular discussions between all three medical experts. We all thought that the PET scan before xmas was to pick
up any little mestasis that were lurking where they should not be but it seems that it does not pick up 'pin pricks'
hence the ENT and gynae tests which are to be done.

S had been told in mid November that surgery would include removal of her left breast, tissue under her arm and up towards her neck. The operation will be carried out by her surgeon and then followed by the plastic surgeon. Thereafter
will follow chemo. The operation was to have been done before xmas. Then more and further tests are indicated and still no operation.

I wish they would get on with in and just complete all these tests a bit faster and get treatment under way. Our biggest fear is that melanoma is discovered in other places because it is a cancer that 'travels'.

Sandra is so positive. She is married to my brother and I love them both dearly. In 1994 they lost their son aged 13 very suddenly from a heart attack, he was very severely asthmatic but nothing like what happened had ever been expected. That day he had been very well and was 'camping' overnight in the garden with friends. He was their middle child. At that time S was the strong one and she pulled my brother through to what became better days. She is still strong, my brother appears strong.

If you are still with me, you're likely wondering why I am relating all of this.
Well .......... It just comes back to the heading of this thread...... live life to the full.

In the time it took S to have a shower the world changed, and in turn that change rippled out circle after circle.
Like the butterfly who flutters in the Amazon and causes an avalanche on the other side of the world.

Tell those that you love how you feel, give hugs freely.

And in my own case perhaps speak up more often and not always try to be a peacemaker.
Loving relationships will endure despite the occasional hiccup.

Well.... sorry to have gone on for so long.
guess I'm just saying ..... we should make the most of those we have, while we have them, and while we are here.
And if this sounds rather morbid I don't mean it to be so, rather it is a wee reminder.... to stop thinking about it and
do something about it.
Betty

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I only wish this was easy to remember and didn't take circumstances like this to remind us.

PB, what an awful thing to be happening. I hope they get that surgery done very soon and that healing can begin. It goes without saying that my thoughts are with you and your family, imagining the best possible outcome.

Hugs to all of you.

Managing Your RLS

badnights

Post by badnights »

Thanks for sharing that, polar bear; hope you hold together well and your SIL's surgery is successful.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts.

I am fine, just amazed and humbled at how folks can deal with the bad stuff
Betty

jstep

Post by jstep »

Polar Bear,

You write beautifully. I would like to emphasize (not as elegantly) to everyone to embrace those you love and let them know how you feel. Living every day to the fullest is not always easy to remember, but sometimes those days can be cut short. My husband has Renal Cell CA with mets, but has been doing prettty good with treatment (most of the time). He was diagnosed a little over 4 years ago and is still here even though he was originally given a prognosis of 18 months or less. We just returned from our trip to MD Anderson Cancer Center . We were told that his cancer is again spreading (this time to the soft tissue). His doctor changed his anti-cancer drug and we are waiting to see if the insurance will help us pay for it. They originally said no (it is very expensive), but our Pharmacy is working with them and feels confident they will help. Even living with a spouse with cancer, I many times take life for granted but have been reminded yet again how important it is to embrace life and all it brings. My husband is a wonderful person and I intend to cherish every moment with him. And my prayer is this new med will help once again bring the tumors under control. I am truly blessed to have him by my side. Thanks for allowing me to share.

Jamie