Live life to the full

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
rthom

Re: Live life to the full

Post by rthom »

We are going through a similar circumstance here, my wifes' family (sister in law) was found to have oral cancer and something else (can't remember--brain shut off at cancer), but they are too late--just keeping her comfortable. The brother is a broken man as she never hardly left the house and his whole life was his Mar... He's a great man--kind loving, etc... Anyway a couple of years ago on new years eve the new husband (to his daughter) who is an alcoholic (was being helped/supported in recovery) by my wifes brother, burned down the house cooking french fries with his new wife in it. My wife's niece (not yet twenty) was standing at the window upstairs trying to get out when she died he was out on the street watching. There are alot of times though I don't know how to express to those the same sort of sentiment without it being seen as careless or tasteless. It's very hard to find the idea of how to implement that when it all seems so raw. Thanks for sharing that,

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Jamie, thank you for telling us your story.
I have no idea how hard it must be to know that the one you love could have time limited.

rthom, so tragic.

I guess we all hope that the right words come to us when needed
We can only speak from the heart and as rthom says, hope that we do not appear careless or tasteless.

So many people are have sadness within the family circle.

A wee saying over here is ''''get down on your knees and be grateful that you're still on your feet'''' :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I read these posts last night and couldn't even think of a way to respond. Still can't. Reading stories like that is so visceral and brings up so many different feelings: empathy, concern, fear, worry, admiration, and many more. And reminds me how fickle like can be. A great reminder to live in the moment.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I hope noone feels that this thread is a bit too morbid....
my purpose was to comment on how strong and stoic people can be when faced with what seems to be the 'unfaceable''.
And also in the case of my neighbour Shirley, how she helped folks after her death by means of organ donation.

I mean it to be a tribute to those who cope and soldier on.
I can't just find the words to say what I mean....... but I reckon you guys all know what I mean.
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I do, PB - and don't feel it's inappropriate at all or too morbid. Just brings up so many things - not just what you meant.

When I read of tragedy, war, famine, or other horrifying events (for single people or groups or many peoples), I am always amazed that we can survive what we can survive....even if during it it feels as if we cannot.

I try to remember the people who've gone through much more than I have when I'm in a dark hour. Thinking of them getting through it helps me to buck up a bit and get on with it.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

I to understand and did at the time. I appreciate and agree with your intention and my response was to question how (if any ) we can help guide our loved ones to be able to take that approach and help with their healing.
thanks

jstep

Post by jstep »

Polar Bear,

I too never meant to be morbid. The original topic of the thread is Live life to the fullest. "Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain.
- Vivian Greene

This quote has meant a lot to me and your saying "get down on your knees and be grateful you're still on your feet.

Sometimes we need to vent, or cry and maybe even seek encouraging words or support from others. But then we must get up and embrace the day, open our eyes and see all the blessings in life.
Even on some of my worst days, I can find something that brings joy to my heart if I open my eyes and see.

Jamie

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

I love this .

Also: Dance like noone is watching
Betty

TimG

Post by TimG »

Human beings are amazingly resilient and strong when the chips are down. These stories remind me how fragile and beautiful life is for each of us and those we love.

Forty years ago, unlike 50,000 other men and women, I came home from the Vietnam War alive and unharmed. I've lived life like a tourist ever since, and am thankful for the forty extra years and all life's blessings. Even some of the curses have been blessings in disguise. Lucky me!

"The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings" (Eric Hoffer)

Tim

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

jstep, Isn't it wonderful to have a husband that you feel blessed to be with.
Sort of says it all and what we all hope to achieve.

Tim, thank you, and I hope you continue to be a tourist. A great expression.
Betty

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My SIL at last will have her operation on Tuesday 7 Feb. It will last either 4 hours or 7 hours depending on their final decision. It was first diagnosed in November past and during this time the doctors and the further scans and ultra sounds have been searching for any other melanoma cells. None have been found which is sort of good - on the other hand it means the primary site has not been located which is bad - and it could be the size of a pinprick.
Betty

rthom

Post by rthom »

Beth
All the best, you'll be in mind.

jstep

Post by jstep »

Polar Bear,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Please keep us posted.

Jamie

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

PB - you know we'll all be thinking about you.

Managing Your RLS

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

My sis-in-law gets her staples out today, about 50 of them covering 3 wound sites. Seems to me they will be rather well secured having been in situ for 13 days !!!

And on the theme of living life to the full - we decided to make a start. Because of where her very long neck wound is sited sis has been unable to have her short hair washed for 2 weeks, so we got dry hair shampoo spray and got to work on it. Spray it on and rub it gently through the hair, very gently indeed because of tenderness and numbess on the scalp, the result of nerves having been cut. The result on her hair ..............well, it did look not so greasy, it also had rather a 'powdery bloom' off it but never mind it was still better than greasy and the experience gave us a laugh.

We then tidied our jewellery boxes, good jewellery and costume jewellery, some decent and some of it tat, but still pretty.
I came across some quite decent costume jewellery that was used for special event and then tucked away. What a waste, so we have decided to make sure that if we keep it, that it gets worn regularly.

Today I am doing household chores, ironing and vacuuming, while wearing my gorgeous crystal drop earrings, they are about 2 inches long and catch the light beautifully. They are cheap and cheerful and look brilliant, and I plan to continue to giltter. Which means also wearing make-up.
Doesn't matter if it is gardening, or sociallising, let's glitter.
Betty