PLMD

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
kukana.9848

PLMD

Post by kukana.9848 »

Does anyone also suffer from PLMD as well RLS?

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Not me. At least I don't think so. Now and again my leg would take a random jerk of its own volition while awake and I don't know that it could be considered PLMD. Hubby hasn't made any comment about it happening while I sleep.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

kukana.9848

Post by kukana.9848 »

I have never been told that I have it, but the more I read up on it. I begin to wonder.
When I use to sleep in the same bed with the husband, he used to complain of me kicking him all the time in bed. We sleep in twin beds since my accident and I need a different type of bed.
But I wake up with cramps and spasms in my calves and ankles. I constantly over stretch my legs to get relief, but I don't realize it, until it is too late, and get a spasm or cramp.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

If you kick your husband, you probably have it.

Many of us here do. Mine PLMs were worse than the RLS/WED for many years. Now they are equal :-).

Good idea to have a sleep study if you suspect them; you can determine if they are affecting your sleep, and if they are, by how much.

Cramps and spasms are not considered part of PLMD, though some of us get those, too.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Laurachrissy

Post by Laurachrissy »

I definitely had the adolescent PLM's (mama always talked about me kicking her when I would sleep with her on vacation); probably a light version of RLS since early childhood too. Many nights I had to sleep cross-legged bent over my pillow :( My parents did take me for many Chiropractic adjustments.
One of my brothers had the same problem as well and still does.
He has had MAJOR success with the Epidural Injections but still has to take Tramadol everyday because the RLS is still bugging; just not as intense.
My Grandfather gave it to us , we believe, except his leg hurt when he drove and slept. He was a kicker too; he always slept with one leg out just because of getting tangled in the sheets if he didn't leave his leg out. Poor thing
RLS sux

kukana.9848

Post by kukana.9848 »

I understand the genetics, my father had it. At that time they didn't have a name for it.The doctor just called it "woman legs". I remember my dad sleeping in a separate room, so he wouldn't keep Mom awake but he complained that he legs would jump. HE always complained that he felt that one legs was longer than the other. LOL.
Now all three of my children suffer from it also.

Laurachrissy

Post by Laurachrissy »

kukana.9848 wrote:Now all three of my children suffer from it also.
Awwww, not good. One day there should be some definitive answers w/ solutions....generational curse this is.
RLS sux

kukana.9848

Post by kukana.9848 »

RLS is only one of the many disorders that I inherited from my parents.

badnights

Post by badnights »

My poor boys both have it.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Grandmother, three children, all have it.

Her daughter, my mother, has three children, all have it.

Her daughter, my sister, has three children, the oldest (16) has it; still waiting on the other two.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Baffledsilly

Re: PLMD

Post by Baffledsilly »

I believe it goes, people with WED/RLS have PLMD but not everyone with PLMD has RLS.

badnights

Post by badnights »

yes, I think so. Or, people with RLS have PLMs anyway, not necessarily the disorder.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

rthom

Post by rthom »

Is the difference anyone 5 or under per min has it but over 5 has the disorder?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

The disorder, if I remember correctly, isn't ever for those of us with RLS. It's only for people who have ONLY periodic movements that are of a certain level, but have NO other sleep disorder.

But, it's late, I already took my meds, and I easily could be remembering incorrectly.

Managing Your RLS

Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

I have had RLS for 30 years, but periodic limb movement while awake and during sleep since 1995. My PLMW is in all 4 limbs and is so severe that, at present, it responds to no medications and for about three years now, has prevented the onset of sleep for between 8 and 10 hours EVERY night. I am now completely nocturnal. The problem with PLMW is, it seems not only do the recommended treatments for RLS NOT work to prevent/stop my PLMW tics, but all of the RLS drugs meant to assist with sleep make coping with the tics even more difficult. For me, the only means of relieving the tics means doing everything possible to be awake and intensely focused and often requires getting out of bed and walking, up and down, all night long, between bouts of sleep attempts. I've been injured more than once walking around at night while drugged up on RLS meds. I also sleep cook and sleep eat...and not always things that are edible, like spackling paste and soap! When the tics eventually stop and I'm able to sleep, I wake to find I've cooked and don't remember. It seems my entire life revolves around enduring PLMW torture and getting enough sleep to recover and prepare for the torture to begin again. I have about 6-8 hours per day of somewhat 'normal' life, but pain and exhaustion extremely limit what I can and cannot do. I use to worry about quality of life issues. These days I worry about quantity of life as well. I never ever thought I'd say this, but this disease and the damage it is doing to my body, is going to drastically shorten my life.