Re: Exploding Head syndrome

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
Betty/WV

Re: Exploding Head syndrome

Post by Betty/WV »

Sometime ago we discussed "Exploding Head Syndrome". I had never heard of such a thing. But several times had evidently experienced it. And it just happened again. I looked it up and there is such a thing on the web. What happened tonight was, I had just got up and went to the bathroom (about 1:45 am) Went back to bed and turned off the light and just was dozing off, when this noise, as if something very heavy fell over. I jumped up turned on the light and went to see what had happened. My husband was still sleeping and so was Hank (our dog) and he barks at every sound. (Hank not my husband). The same thing has happened to me before and I would wake up my husband to go check what the noise was. Never found anything. And one time just as I was falling asleep it was if someone standing close by my bed called my name. Scared the wits out of me. Weird isn't it. When we discussed it before I think it was Zach that has experienced the same thing. Anyone else ever have something like that happen?

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

badnights

Post by badnights »

I've had lots of stuff like that happen. It was most common when I was desperately tired and my RLS wasn't being treated properly.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Thanks bethf for your reply. I would like to hear from other also about "exploding head syndrome." The first time it happened to me scared me to death, it was like someone standing in the bed room and they shouted my name. And there was no one in the house but me.

If you mention "exploding head syndrome" they look at you like they do if you mention "Restless Legs Syndrome".

Thanks.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Boy, I can see the stand up comedians now....I saw this person with restless legs. His head was exploding....
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Don't give the comedians any ideas, they will be using that line.

badnights

Post by badnights »

I had heard of exploding head syndrome, but didn't read the details about it because I assumed it would be about feeling like your head was exploding ...

badnights

Post by badnights »

I called them auditory and visual hallucinations. Usually auditory, eg. phone ringing, my name being called, or a shout; but once also I saw a flash of light that woke me up. Totally different than a dream, which is why I called them hallucinations. I see the description of exploding head syndrome includes episodes involving light. Still, are you sure ...? "exploding head" made me think the sound would be unbearably loud, not just loud.

I also think I have "sleep-realted abnormal swallowing syndrome". Not as exciting as exploding head syndrome but above average on the wierd-name scale.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

The sound is very loud, like a door slamming, something very large and heavy falling, or one time it sounded like something hitting the side of the house. But the worse when I heard my name being called, very loud. It was so plain and so real. :shock:

badnights

Post by badnights »

ya, I had one like hitting the side of the house. I'd forgotten about that! But when my name is called, although it's very clear, it's not loud. God this is wierd stuff. Sleep is kooky. Wish I was getting some right now, kooky or not.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

I agree, really weird. Glad to hear I'm not alone in this either, like RLS.
The first time it happen was with the calling out of my name. And I'm alone in the house. I thought it was wicked spirits or demons or something. Its all something with the brain and so is sleep. I looked it up on the internet and there are interesting articles about it. What next?????

BETTY/WV :shock: :roll: :?: :?:

badnights

Post by badnights »

I'm hungry.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I've also had the calling name stuff - very rarely.
Once standing in work at the photocopier..... it was like a loud whisper and very clear and distinct.... I turned my head to see who wanted me.

A strange feeling, auditory hallucinations.
Pretty disconcerting to me cos my ex suffered from paradnoid schizophrenia so you can understand how the subject of 'hearing things' unsettles me. :roll:
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

It really upset me too. I thought I was losing my mind. But I thought I was crazy when my RLS was going strong too. Then when I read NightWalker and realized there were others and it was a real disease. There is so much we don't know.

Betty/WV

badnights

Post by badnights »

I've been getting the name calling since I was in my twenties. I never thought I was crazy. So maybe that means I am :lol: :lol:
I slept for 5 solid hours

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

How did you do it Bethf, sleep 5 straight hours. Good for you it must feel great. 8) I wonder if I have ever slept that long at one time.

BETTY/WV