don't you just love ........

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
moonlight

don't you just love ........

Post by moonlight »

don't you just love the health services......generally in Scotland our care is good but some improvements are needed.

A few people here know I've got a mental health condition ....which was diagnosed four years
ago as .....'rapid cycling bipolar with borderline personality traits'....

ok fine its just a name but it gave me a bit of understanding bout myself and a place to start from.

Well two psychiatrists later and a lot of assessing i have been re-diagnosed

to .....'Emotionally unstable personality disorder'..... doesn't that just sound dreadful.....ok i do definitely agree

they've got it right but arghhhh it makes me sound like someone that should be avoided at all costs!!!!!!!

I think when 'labelling' people some thought should go into ...how others may react!!!!

life for me is hard enough.

Anyhow it really doesn't matter what they call it ...I am me , take me as I am , live with it and if you don't like it....go

that is now how I view people and its amazing .....you really find out who your true friends are....may not be many

but they're always there for me as I am for them

moonlight
sleep is not only a dream

badnights

Re: don't you just love ........

Post by badnights »

You're right, moolight, it shouldn't make a difference what words are used in the name but it does. Just look at Restless Legs Syndrome and how most of us felt about that name, trying to get people to take us seriously! I would feel the same way you do, I think, and I think I would react as you've done: if you don't like me, bug off.

The people who are interested in you for yourself will look the disorder up and find out more about it in an effort to understand what you're living with.

Other people who mean no harm might jump to conclusions based on the name; in those cases, perhaps if you have the stregth and the words, you can correct their assumptions. It would do them good.

If people don't want to learn, though, then no use hanging about with them.
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I imagine you won't be using that much to explain what you have. I rarely use RLS - and now that I can say WED, I always do.

People like to press for the real name of things, though, and sometimes it's hard to stop them from bothering you about it. I wonder if you could say, "I have a mental illness that causes a lot of problems for me. I'm working hard to grow and change; I'd rather now share anymore than that."

Only the most callous person would press you for more.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Ann i've had a long think about things and yes i do just say I have a mental illness making some things in life a little difficult.

mind you my hubby has renamed it as......'emotionally cute and cuddly disorder '......much nicer i think

rthom

Post by rthom »

Perfect!! Now he's well adjusted!

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Isn't hubby rather cute himself... that was nice.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Aw - how sweet.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

I understand how bad that sounds but it doesn't truly reflect who you are. You aren't "'Emotionally unstable personality disorder"--that's just something you have. Instead you are you--with good qualities that outweight the bad, up days and down days, a friend, wife....add your own words, but THAT is who you are. If someone insists on knowing about it, say "I don't discuss personal issues with "Rude, crass, ignorant disorder" people." Good luck, GF!
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

moonlight

Post by moonlight »

hi Rubyslipper your totally right I am me and will always be me and that's what comes first....I love and live with my husband and son ,I am a creative person and love it, I love and work with cats.....:-)

jy13131

Post by jy13131 »

moonlight wrote:Ann i've had a long think about things and yes i do just say I have a mental illness making some things in life a little difficult.

mind you my hubby has renamed it as......'emotionally cute and cuddly disorder '......much nicer i think

Oh!!! He is a KEEPER!
jy13131