toothaches

Anything on your mind that isn't about RLS? It's nice to realize that there is life beyond this disease and have an opportunity to get to know our online family in a different context.
rthom

toothaches

Post by rthom »

Have an absess and am quite swollen with pain. Due to my rls the typical pain meds do nothing, any ideas?

Polar Bear

Re: toothaches

Post by Polar Bear »

I think for a tooth abcess, antibiotics are usually required.
My dentist reckons that for toothache ibuprofen is the best for pain relief.... but if an abcess is involved that is likely a different story.

I would prefer not to be facing the weekend with just pain relief. Would a phone call to your dentist get you a prescription for an antibiotic. We have free prescriptions over here so I don't know how expensive an antibiotic would be - for a dental abcess it's usually amoxycillan.

Recently I had a dental abcess and know that it is truly agonising, you have my sympathy.
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

As someone with chronic teeth issues (and more abscesses that I want to remember), there really isn't much once it's that bad except treatment. I just had this happen two months ago. I was in SO much pain. I made an appointment with a dentist who was willing to take emergencies. Once he pulled the tooth, all was better. Since this tooth had already been crowned and had a root canal (not a very good one, apparently), pulling it was the only option.

I tried everything I could think of. Oil of cloves is supposed to help, but it didn't do much at all - maybe a little, but it also made me nauseous, so not a good thing. I search on Google high and low for some miracle - couldn't find one :-(.

So sorry you are going through this. I really do understand how you feel.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

badnights

Post by badnights »

ouch, randy.

a piece of string around a doorknob ??? just kidding!
Beth - Wishing you a restful sleep tonight
Click for info on WED/RLS AUGMENTATION & IRON
I am a volunteer moderator. My posts are not medical advice. My posts do not reflect RLS Foundation opinion.

rthom

Post by rthom »

Thanks to all, and yes I tink the doorknob one is my preferred---tried to get the dentist to pull t yesterday---said I have to get rid of the infection first. Can't take anti inflamitories--BP thing, the tylenol 3 he gave me dosn't do anything--he never thought it might from the other meds. etc...
Just have to wait it out, but all the talking is pissing it off, and the swelling is weird around my clients and makes it hard for them to hear me.

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Oh Randy, about 3 years ago when I had an abcess one side of my face swelled away up and was that way until the antibiotics kicked in at about day 3. One client came into the office and asked me '' if I was in the office today" - if you get my drift. He didn't realise it was me he was talking to because of how much my face was swollen and distorted.

How awful for you to cope without relief of any sort. I found oil of cloves brilliant temporarily over a weekend for a toothace, but an abcess is a different matter.
Yep, my dentist wouldn't do anything either until the infection subsided.

Did you get antibiotics. ?
Betty
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

rthom

Post by rthom »

Yes I got the antibiotics bt like yours I'm swolen and sound like I have a mouth full of marbels. My stomach is always sick from the infection draining. Mine started in the jawbone and swelled outwardly from there. This is pain day 5 and antibiotics day 2. Seems to be still getting more swollen. I have 2 hardcases here today--Am having a hard time dealing with them. :roll:
p.s. that is likely just the fever. Appologies for the whining

rthom

Post by rthom »

did your face itch? I feel like I have hives from the jawbone out...Itches and burnes, i had no idea it was such an annoyance.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I don't remember my face itching, but mine wasn't as swollen as yours of PBs. I could see the swelling at the jawbone, but it wasn't that bad.

I hope by Monday you can get it pulled.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rthom

Post by rthom »

can't get it pulled till january but if it gets bad again the dr said to call and they'd give me more antibiotics.

Having re-read my post the comment about having 2 hardcases here must sound nuts--I'M not nuts yet just have 6 other dogs working with and 2 are hardcases--very time and energy demanding. Also I have one other here to die because the owner can't be with it. Also a tiring thing.

Anyway just an fyi about the remark--forgot others may not know or rememer what i do. dunhhh

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I can't remember that mine itched or burned. Day 3 should definitely show an improvement from the antibiotics and with luck that should hold until the tooth is pulled in January. Hmmm... can you have a prescription for a second antibiotic 'just in case' for over the holiday time. My dentists would be quite good about that.
Betty